Medical Status of Boardmembers

Started by Ball Hopper, December 19, 2019, 03:25:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tony Baloney

Great post BH. Very honest appraisal there and I wish you all the best. We also have a family history of bowel related diseases and I've been diagnosed with a touch of IBS in the past but nothing too bad, however it is one to be watched.

I have a hiatus hernia which was very uncomfortable until I started taking Lanzoprazole to control my stomach acid and it's now not too bad and only take the tablets when required. I'm at least a stone overweight and I have had many false starts at getting fit and staying fit but I'm starting to feel it now. Plan to not overindulge over Christmas and then start some sort of plan in Jan.

ziggy90

Quote from: Ball Hopper on December 19, 2019, 03:25:19 AM
This i not for the Depression thread...fair play to all contributing and giving good tips/advice.

Not for the alcohol thread either, although it might have played a minor part in my current status.  This Christmas will be my first alcohol-free one since 1977, as best I can figure.

Current status is I had my first chemotherapy session today (18 December) for colo-rectal cancer - two separate unrelated growths at either end of the colon.  Chemo session every two weeks starting again in early January (nothing scheduled Christmas or New Year's week as they want to focus on patients on their final sessions...also complicated by the fact that one of my drugs is administered via pump that I wear home over three days (Mon-Weds, Tues-Thurs or Wed-Fri ) which along with other patients in the same boat causes scheduling nightmares.  Taking the Wednesday out leaves only Tues-Thurs for everyone)

Eight chemo treatments in total by the end of March (so I'll miss the league), April off to recover somewhat (for club season), then 5 weeks of a lighter chemo/radiation combo (25 days in all) on a daily basis (Mon-Fri)...followed by a month or two to try to get over that (coincides with Super 8's) before surgery to whip whatever is left out of me...a week stay in hospital so proper planning will see me home every weekend.  All treatment over by the All-Ireland Final. 

Medical team is confident we can be successful in 2020...and constant screening thereafter to catch any recurrence as early as possible.  I'll have an advantage in that I work from home and won't be exposed to infection on trains, buses, or a workplace.  The adjustments to prevent side effects (things like very detailed oral hygiene to prevent mouth sores) are in full swing for the last few days and I'm confident of an easier (not necessarily easy) passage back to full health.

I'm ready to do whatever it takes to win this one and have a great support network in family as well as the medical arenas.

Lads, Early screening is vital...colonoscopy by age 50, especially if in family and even earlier if immediate family history. 

And report any changes in "body performance" things immediately to your doctor.

Will update every so often as I move down the road of treatment.

I went through more or less the same as you just over ten years ago. I had an emergency operation when my bowel ruptured and the surgeon had to do a bit of a botch job (his  words). I wore a bag for twelve months and then insisted on a reversal that the medical team advised against. The chemotherapy never really affected me (and it sounds like you're going through the same treatment) apart from a loss of feeling in the nerve ends of my hands and feet. I went back to work after three years and have stayed working since.
Stay as positive as you sound and enjoy your Christmas and take care. Keep us updated if you feel you can.
Questions that shouldn't be asked shouldn't be answered

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Tony Baloney on December 20, 2019, 04:15:59 PM
Quote from: johnnycool on December 20, 2019, 09:07:44 AM
All the best Ball Hopper, keep up on the positivity, that can only but help in the healing process.

As a matter of interest, what were the tell tale signs of changes in "body performance" that led you to go to the Doctor?

If that's too personal then don't feel obliged to answer.

I need to educate myself on a lot of these things.
It's a good question. I get annoyed when cancer related deaths of people in the public eye are euphemistically referred to as "after a short/long illness". I get that their family may want privacy, but I think these are also a perfect opportunity to raise awareness, especially around signs and symptoms that people should be checking out.

I'm with you on this, in his, for me the pancreatic cancer seems to be one of the quick hidden killers.

Friend of mine passed away last year, as fit a man you'll get, a runner, went to the gym every day and wouldn't be a drinker or smoked, ate healthy also.

Ended up with two types of cancer, fought it won it and it came back. The anger was there behind the smiles, during his cancer we managed a few triathlons and some races together, the only times I beat him over the years. Cancer is a Cnut, it doesn't care how well you look after yourself
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Ball Hopper

First off, many thanks for the heartfelt best wishes from all.  It really is appreciated and shows how the GAA fans can rally around each other, even if almost unknown to each other.

The one or two of you that have put a colonoscopy on your to-do list has made this thread worthwhile already

First sign for me was blood on the toilet paper...do not presume this is piles/hemorrhoids.   Then blood might be in stool, or you imagine it is --- time to make ASAP doctor visit.  Of course, it all takes time from initial doctor visit, get referred to gastro expert, schedule colonoscopy and get results.  In my situation, first report was on 26 October and colonoscopy was 11 Nov. which was very quick.  MRI and CT scans on 26 Nov confirmed no spread to liver, lungs or bone.

The "died after a short illness" is indeed an odd one.  Is it part of Irish culture to not mention cancer?  I know my father never uttered the word...he'd tell me so-and so was sick, "he has the boyo" was his phrase.  And "breast cancer" contains two words that can never be mentioned. 

Of course, it is also true that it is not the cancer that finally kills - susceptibility to infection allows a minor cold to develop into pneumonia which causes the death.  Easier to talk about that I suppose.  I have a lot more paperwork and information on how to deal with chemo side effects to help prevent side illnesses than I have on the cancer itself.

The cancer treatment is very straightforward: 1) chemo to stop it growing; 2) chemo/radiation combo to kill it; 3) surgery to whip it out and take a bit of surrounding tissue in case it is contaminated too; 4) monitor for recurrence.

Stopping a cold turning into pneumonia when the body has no tools to resist (white blood cells) is a battle often lost.  Of course, the medics must see a drop in white blood cells, because if they hold their normal levels it means the chemo is not working on that patient.

I'm hoping my working from home status will help me avoid all the infection routes associated with commuting, workplace, lunches in public and so on. 

GAAGO will be my best friend for entertainment in 2020.  Might even have to brush up on the Gaeilge for TG4 games.

Chemo 1 of 8 ends today with the return of the pump after the 46-hour infusion of chemo drug 5-FU (google has plenty info on it).  That is the hard hitting full forward of chemo, hence the need to deliver it over 46 hours.  I'm developing a full back cross between Mick Lyons and Johnno Keeffe to fight it by mixing power with silky skills.  Ye younger pups might pick a combo of Seamus Moynihan and maybe a Ricey or McMahon to bring a Tyronie into the mix. 

No side effects thus far, although they tell me fatigue will send me to bed for a few days Sun-Tues next week.  Small price this time, but the cumulative toxicity will exact its toll as we go forward.

Will update before next chemo session...everyone have a safe and wonderful Christmas holiday...I know I'll hug my people a little harder this year!!!

Rois

Wishing you every success Ball Hopper.  It is great that you're sharing your experiences - so many people will identify with it, and the rest of us will learn from it.  Sounds like you might be done with the dosage by Christmas Day, so enjoy being looked after!

My sister's an NHS urologist and deals a lot with bladder/prostate cancers and she has patients of all ages, shapes and sizes.  You're never too young or too healthy to be able to risk ignoring signs of things not being right.

Action Cancer in the north do a great men's MOT check - my OH has been getting it done for years.   

Oraisteach

Square Ball

All the very best BallHopper, very honest post and good luck with the treatment.
Hospitals are not equipped to treat stupid

balladmaker

Wishing you all the very best Ball Hopper, a very brave and worthwhile post.  Good luck!

Denn Forever

I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...

tonto1888

All the best BH, hope the treatment goes well

Ambrose

All the best BH, stay positive and be good to yourself.
You can't live off history and tradition forever

Main Street

The only thing which has a possibility of getting better with age is eyesight, perhaps also the art of goalkeeping.

seafoid

Quote from: Main Street on December 27, 2019, 07:49:18 PM
The only thing which has a possibility of getting better with age is eyesight, perhaps also the art of goalkeeping.
Some whiskey  and some wine as well
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Milltown Row2

Any sufferers of gout on the board?

Have had a few attacks of it (I think, haven't had it properly diagnosed yet) but the symptoms are very similar to what doctor goggle says!
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Jeepers Creepers

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on December 31, 2019, 09:45:01 AM
Any sufferers of gout on the board?

Have had a few attacks of it (I think, haven't had it properly diagnosed yet) but the symptoms are very similar to what doctor goggle says!

Da in law has it and absolutly cripples him. Says he never felt pain like it.