The Super(ish) Leeds United Thread

Started by Rufus T Firefly, January 25, 2007, 08:14:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mourne Rover

We can only wish that Billy's prediction had been on the money. It's all very charging forward at every opportunity but defending like today is in danger of taking us back towards the championship. Quite what was going on in the heads of Klich and Phillips, who have been generally good this season, is hard to say, but it is surprising that they were not replaced until half time. The amazing thing was that we keep creating chances and could easily have scored five or six. Man United, of course, should have been in double figures long before the end. Bielsa does not like making too many changes but, even before injuries are taken into account, there is bound to be a shake up for the Burnley game.

SLIGONIAN

The Burnley game is huge, Leeds got a break with Newcastle's covid outbreak killing their energy late on. That could save us. But Leeds are in a bad run if you go back 8 games, Everton and Newcastle massive wins but shows our inconsistency.

Burnley are flying and teams know Leeds approach. I find it quite shocking when Bielsa was goaded into naming his starting 11 against west ham and duly obliged taking away our competitive advantage.

Need Llorente back asap.

Also the ramifications of taking Kilch and Phillips off at HT, he could of taken any of 6 players off. It was such an indisciplined performance like a kids match everyone bombing forward with no regard for space behind. Morale may have taken a hit with bielsa's ruthlessness. Needs to be nipped in the bud.

I still think we will finish around 15th but it won't be as relaxing as people think. I would say at least 4 pts from the next 2 is vital whereas anything less has us in a bit of trouble. Fulham showing signs of life and they have been unlucky to not have more points.
"hard work will always beat talent if talent doesn't work"

Rufus T Firefly

Quote from: SLIGONIAN on December 22, 2020, 08:55:26 PM
I still think we will finish around 15th but it won't be as relaxing as people think. I would say at least 4 pts from the next 2 is vital whereas anything less has us in a bit of trouble.

Six from a possible six which is more than welcome and is worthy of praise given we are currently without three international centre halfs.

The Burnley game was a lucky result, no doubt. Our penalty was contentious in that the keeper got the minutest of touches before taking Bamford out of it, but I think the ball was still there for Bamford before Pope took him out. The main talking point was of course the disallowed Burnley goal, where the ref had already blown for a free for the challenge of Meslier. We were very fortunate there as there did not look to be a foul. Three very welcome points.

The WBA game was one of those very rare Leeds wins where the cigars were being lit up at half time. Once again we got a large piece of fortune with the opening goal but thereafter Leeds played like Brazil against the hapless Baggies and scored some wonderful goals. 5-0 was a fair reflection of our dominance.

Next up is Spuds which will be a different proposition entirely. They offer a serious threat up front which could pose problems if we get caught forward. However, in terms of the season, there is reason to be optimistic about a healthy final position in the table. Twenty three points would mean five more victories would take us to the cusp of the magical forty points and indeed there are are arguments for suggesting that a total less than forty will ensure safety.

Rufus T Firefly

Back-to-back league wins followed by back-to-back 3-0 thumpings.

The Spurs game I'm not overly concerned with. The reality is that they are a better side than us. The difference for me was highlighted in a couple of scenarios in the first half. Paddy Bamford had a free header from an in swinging cross with his back to goal, but headed woefully over. In contrast, Spurs second goal was a thing of beauty and simplicity. The vision of Kane. The run from Son. The pass from Kane and the near post touch from Son. Top drawer forward play that is beyond Leeds.

The Cup defeat at the weekend was abysmal. The FA Cup is indeed but a pale shadow of its former greatness and I have long argued that it is being subjected to death by a thousand cuts. A Cup run would be nice but getting kicked out early is probably for the best in the long run.

That said, the performance at Crawley was abject. The team that played in the second half would be like something I threw together rather than being the product of one of the foremost tactical minds on the planet and I have to say that Bielsa's talk about the prestige of the Cup sounded very hollow on the back of the changes he made at half time. That was an embarrassment for the Club and the supporters and for me highlighted that in terms of the Premier League, there is not a lot of strength in depth in terms of the squad. And Kiko's opportunities for first team action - barring injuries - must now be considered a long shot. He was brutal and does not offer much value given the significant wages he is on.

seafoid

Quote from: Rufus T Firefly on January 12, 2021, 09:24:52 AM
Back-to-back league wins followed by back-to-back 3-0 thumpings.

The Spurs game I'm not overly concerned with. The reality is that they are a better side than us. The difference for me was highlighted in a couple of scenarios in the first half. Paddy Bamford had a free header from an in swinging cross with his back to goal, but headed woefully over. In contrast, Spurs second goal was a thing of beauty and simplicity. The vision of Kane. The run from Son. The pass from Kane and the near post touch from Son. Top drawer forward play that is beyond Leeds.

The Cup defeat at the weekend was abysmal. The FA Cup is indeed but a pale shadow of its former greatness and I have long argued that it is being subjected to death by a thousand cuts. A Cup run would be nice but getting kicked out early is probably for the best in the long run.

That said, the performance at Crawley was abject. The team that played in the second half would be like something I threw together rather than being the product of one of the foremost tactical minds on the planet and I have to say that Bielsa's talk about the prestige of the Cup sounded very hollow on the back of the changes he made at half time. That was an embarrassment for the Club and the supporters and for me highlighted that in terms of the Premier League, there is not a lot of strength in depth in terms of the squad. And Kiko's opportunities for first team action - barring injuries - must now be considered a long shot. He was brutal and does not offer much value given the significant wages he is on.
Surely Leeds had decided to focus on EPL survival over the romance of an FA Cup run.
The money alone would justify it.
The bottom 3 teams are Fulham, West Brom and Sheffield Utd. Like Leeds, all were recently promoted.
Best not to share their fate.

"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Rufus T Firefly

Quote from: seafoid on January 12, 2021, 12:44:20 PM
Surely Leeds had decided to focus on EPL survival over the romance of an FA Cup run.
The money alone would justify it.

Agreed totally and a win this afternoon and Crawley will be forgotten about. However it would be nice to exit the Cup in a manner that is not an utter humiliation.

Rufus T Firefly

Don't see us being linked with any major signings this month so the chances are that Bielsa is happy with the hand he has. The centre of the defence is an obvious point of concern given the amount of injuries to Koch, Llorente and Cooper and the suggestions from some  - before his transfer - about Llorente's fitness, look to be worringly accurate. That said, Ayling and Struijk have both impressed when filling in there but it always has the look of papering over large cracks.

A win today would be significant in the long term aim to stay up.

seafoid

Leeds need around 40 points  to stay up and have 23 so far and it isn't even halfway.
They should be okay but they do need new players to kick on. It is great to see them back.

shark

Quote from: seafoid on January 16, 2021, 02:21:23 PM
Leeds need around 40 points  to stay up and have 23 so far and it isn't even halfway.
They should be okay but they do need new players to kick on. It is great to see them back.

35 points will be enough to stay up. Leeds are not in any danger whatsoever.

Mourne Rover

Leeds are still in a decent position but the last few performances have been ominous. Our central midfield is being taken apart, the wide players have been largely ineffective and today the visiting keeper in a team which had not won for nine games did not have a shot to save. The return of Phillips will be a big help, and hopefully Llorente and Koch will soon be fit enough to give us more options at the back, but with Bamford struggling for form no one else looks like scoring. The state of our pitch is also conspiring against our style of play so a few points on the road might get our momentum going again.

SHEEDY

Karen carney will enjoy her wine tonight 😉
nil satis nisi optimum

Rufus T Firefly

Not for the first time at home recently, I thought we were very slow out of the blocks. There was a lethargy there or lack of energy that allowed Brighton to get on the front foot from the off. Their goal was coming and it was a tasty effort - some slick passing carved us apart. Thereafter I thought we never looked like getting an equaliser.

The absentees really do highlight the threadbare nature of the squad and once certain players are absent there is no adequate replacement. Philips is the most obvious, although we have been fatally undermined by injuries to our three recognised centre halfs.

As far back as the Villa game I was in the company of a mate who is also a Leeds supporter and to my surprise he was scathing of Klich. However I don't know if it's just coincidence or he actually could spot something I could not see, but since then I've been paying particular attention to Klich and he has been absolutely woeful. Furthermore Paddy up front is not someone you can depend on for goals to get you out of trouble. Suddenly there are concerns springing up all over the pitch.

Others have mentioned the pitch itself and it did not help the cause. It looks as if it will increasingly be a factor that will mitigate against our high energy / running game. I think Fulham and Chelsea was on after us on Saturday and the Craven Cottage pitch looked light years ahead of the Elland Road surface.

Currently sitting 12th and 12 points above relegation but there is still plenty to be nervous about.

seafoid

Important and impressive win against Leicester

Mourne Rover

Today was our best result of the season to date and a fully deserved win away to a serious title contender. There were some brilliant performances with Bamford back to his best and Dallas, who seldom gets the credit he deserves, outstanding again. Dallas is by some distance the best Irish player in the premiership, and produces top class displays whether he is asked to slot in at left back, right back or like today in central midfield. He also bangs in a few goals along the way and might even end up as player of the season for Leeds.

Milltown Row2

I've a neighbour that's Leeds mad, goes to all the home games, been a season ticket holder for years, this year of all years in the Premiership he obviously hasn't been to one! Tearing his hair out!
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea