The Official Golf Thread

Started by laoislad, December 28, 2006, 07:07:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Minder

Been to two of the Irish Opens and enjoyable enough but have to say it's a bit of an endurance test traipsing round the course.
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

Frank_The_Tank

Quote from: Minder on July 04, 2018, 04:04:54 PM
Been to two of the Irish Opens and enjoyable enough but have to say it's a bit of an endurance test traipsing round the course.

Been to the one a few years ago in Royal County Down - the weather was crap though compared to what is forecast for Donegal this next few days.  And McIlroy actually missed the cut in that one and Lowry was nowhere in contention.  Tempted to go up to the Friday of this one - not convinced on the traffic arrangements though - feel like you'll get stuck in traffic for ages on small country lanes - no shuttle services from any of the big towns unless you are staying in them - Gardai advice is ample free car parking at the course - surely that will result in a log jam of cars.

Also it actually isn't a great spectator sport to watch Live IMO.  Do enjoy watching on TV and especially the majors but very hard to follow a group round and lose flight of ball half the time and if it is a marquee group it 5 and 6 people deep looking to watch them
Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience

Boycey

Quote from: Frank_The_Tank on July 04, 2018, 04:22:18 PM

Been to the one a few years ago in Royal County Down - the weather was crap though compared to what is forecast for Donegal this next few days.  And McIlroy actually missed the cut in that one and Lowry was nowhere in contention.  Tempted to go up to the Friday of this one - not convinced on the traffic arrangements though - feel like you'll get stuck in traffic for ages on small country lanes - no shuttle services from any of the big towns unless you are staying in them - Gardai advice is ample free car parking at the course - surely that will result in a log jam of cars.

Also it actually isn't a great spectator sport to watch Live IMO.  Do enjoy watching on TV and especially the majors but very hard to follow a group round and lose flight of ball half the time and if it is a marquee group it 5 and 6 people deep looking to watch them

I have a different view on it I think it's the ultimate spectator sport, I've been to many sporting events across the globe and the British Opens I've attended remain my favourite ever sporting memories. I always felt you were close enough to the action to almost be a part of it. There is probably an art to learning how to follow the groups  :)

screenexile

Quote from: Frank_The_Tank on July 04, 2018, 04:22:18 PM

There's park and ride from both Carndonagh and Buncrana!!!

Low and Hard

Anyone hear McIroy say Londonderry in an interview on bbc. He will have lost some fans tonight. All respect gone!

Minder

Quote from: Low and Hard on July 04, 2018, 11:05:11 PM
Anyone hear McIroy say Londonderry in an interview on bbc. He will have lost some fans tonight. All respect gone!

He nailed his colours to the mast long ago, some just didn't want to accept it
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

Boycey

Quote from: Minder on July 04, 2018, 11:15:36 PM

Some don't care..

Low and Hard

I never thought it was that bad. He had close relations play for Down ffs!

Wildweasel74

Heard it alright! Literally the first catholic i ever heard call it that@ he be popular up round the city@@

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Wildweasel74 on July 04, 2018, 11:56:06 PM
Heard it alright! Literally the first catholic i ever heard call it that@ he be popular up round the city@@

Never listen to the bbc utv? Get a f**king grip
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

johnnycool

Quote from: Low and Hard on July 04, 2018, 11:35:15 PM

I never thought it was that bad. He had close relations play for Down ffs!

Armagh you mean! He's relations in Lurgan IIRC.

Just cancelled my subscription to his fan club after he said Londonderry on the wireless and not even an attempt to slide in a Derry to balance it up.
I think the Pope should excommunicate him from the Altar in Phoenix Park when he's over. It's only but fair.

On another note why does the Irish Open need to be hosted by him?

Is that a way of trying to get some of the other big names to come?

ardtole

From what I understand it's his pet project, and there wouldn't be an Irish open only for him.  There was no tournament after the last sponsers pulled out. Nissan I think.

Orior

If it's true, I'm afraid I have to agree.
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

Keyser soze

Definitely true. w**ker.

On watching golf live it is as boring as fook.

...wait around for 20 mins till someone hits a shot...who is that?.....who??......where did that go......wait around for 20 mins...

Low and Hard

Quote from: Wildweasel74 on July 04, 2018, 11:56:06 PM

Unbelievable really. Hope he gets the yips!