Cork fans flying the confederate flag

Started by Eamonnca1, August 14, 2017, 06:46:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

yellowcard

It's pure guesswork but I'd doubt if those flying the flag even knew what it stood for. Now that it's connotations are widely known I'd expect that they refrain from flying it. Im not even sure why any Cork GAA county supporter feels the need to fly this or indeed any other non Cork GAA flag in any case.

Lamh Dhearg Alba

Quote from: Jinxy on August 15, 2017, 09:14:56 PM
I think they should ditch it purely because it's not worth the hassle the bearer will ultimately bring upon themselves, but I find the sudden explosion of outrage a bit much.
If you're offended by the sight of the Confederate flag, don't ever visit the Southern states of America.
Or maybe you should visit, and chastise every person you see over there with a confederate flag hanging outside their house or on a bumper sticker.
Or better still denounce them as racists to their face.
I've little or no interest in flags of any description but this craic whereby the 'concerned citizens of the internet' get together to decide what is and isn't offensive is starting to bug me.
Were the Dukes of Hazzard racist?
Well, maybe the blonde lad was but I'll kill any man who says anything bad about Daisy.

I'm happy to stand with the "concerned citizens of the internet" when they are suggesting it's a bad idea to fly a flag which stands for slavery. Doesn't bug me at all.

As for the Dukes of Hazard, I loved it when I was a kid. Had no idea about the flag or American history. I know now that the Jim Crow laws hadn't even been abolished when all of those actors were born. As I stated earlier, some places managed to keep aspects of them going well into the 70's, the same decade, I see, that Dukes of Hazard was born. A product of it's time. What people thought was fine then isn't fine now. That's progress. And the flag isn't ok just because ignorant people in the American South still use it. I see plenty of UVF flags on lampposts.

Eamonnca1

Quote from: Orior on August 15, 2017, 08:07:17 PM
Cork fans have been flying the Confederate flag since I first started watching Gaelic on television. Anyone who thinks Cork fans were endorsing white supremacy need to have a serious look at themselves. Plus, they can shove their 'offence' up their arse.

You'd be okay with them flying a Nazi flag then? It's red and white isn't it?

Mayo4Sam14

Quote from: Jinxy on August 15, 2017, 09:33:31 PM
I've never brought a flag to a game in my life so if they banned the whole lot of them it wouldn't bother me.
Just spare me the righteous indignation of Irish social media users who would no doubt be horrified to learn that the State flag of Mississippi still contains the confederate battle flag.

Whats it got to do with Cork??
You can forget about Sean Cavanagh as far as he's a man!

Jinxy

Lads, it's the whole 'Southern Pride' & rebel thing.
That's where the connection originated and it actually makes perfect sense that some Cork fans would adopt the symbol back when it was considered relatively benign.
When I was growing up I would have associated that flag primarily with moonshine, fast cars and ridiculously hot women in tiny shorts.
It's only a matter of time before the flag disappears from mainstream american life, i.e. state buildings, flags etc. and I'd be quite happy if it never showed up at a GAA ground again, but demonising the individuals who have been bringing the flag with them for years is pointless and counter-productive.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

Lamh Dhearg Alba

Quote from: Jinxy on August 15, 2017, 09:50:14 PM
Lads, it's the whole 'Southern Pride' & rebel thing.
That's where the connection originated and it actually makes perfect sense that some Cork fans would adopt the symbol back when it was considered relatively benign.
When I was growing up I would have associated that flag primarily with moonshine, fast cars and ridiculously hot women in tiny shorts.
It's only a matter of time before the flag disappears from mainstream american life, i.e. state buildings, flags etc. and I'd be quite happy if it never showed up at a GAA ground again, but demonising the individuals who have been bringing the flag with them for years is pointless and counter-productive.

I'm not demonising anyone who has taken it to GAA games in the past. I know they weren't doing so to advocate white supremacy. But I really don't think they have any excuse now for not knowing what the flag means. As such, they shouldn't bring it to any more games.

yellowcard

Why has this become an issue now all of a sudden anyway?

Lamh Dhearg Alba

Quote from: yellowcard on August 15, 2017, 09:57:54 PM
Why has this become an issue now all of a sudden anyway?

Maybe something to do with the US president who tonight wouldn't give an answer when asked if he was against the confederancy. I'd suggest that the flag has long been unacceptable, but the apparent rise of those in the States who support what it stands for makes it even more important to speak out against it. Or if you are a Cork fan, to make sure you take a Cork flag to the next game.

Jinxy

It's also interesting that the flag issue is significantly less divisive amongst older african-americans, many of whom would have experienced the sharp end of segregation.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

Boycey

If you saw a confederate flag at the next Cork game would it now be safe to assume the flag bearer to be a racist?

Lamh Dhearg Alba

Quote from: Jinxy on August 15, 2017, 10:06:22 PM
It's also interesting that the flag issue is significantly less divisive amongst older african-americans, many of whom would have experienced the sharp end of segregation.

Probably in the same way that the generation born at the end of the 19th and start of 20th century didn't accept the subservience of their older relations, those who had actually experienced slavery. The younger ones experienced a different kind of slavery, and with a different attitude. That's why millions of them fled from the south.

Orior

Please desist from letting white supremacists claim something which they do not own. You are as bad as the unionists who see every tricolour as a terrorist symbol.
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

Orior

Quote from: Eamonnca1 on August 15, 2017, 09:47:10 PM
Quote from: Orior on August 15, 2017, 08:07:17 PM
Cork fans have been flying the Confederate flag since I first started watching Gaelic on television. Anyone who thinks Cork fans were endorsing white supremacy need to have a serious look at themselves. Plus, they can shove their 'offence' up their arse.

You'd be okay with them flying a Nazi flag then? It's red and white isn't it?

What has the Nazis got to do with the Rebel county?
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

Lamh Dhearg Alba

Quote from: Orior on August 15, 2017, 10:19:50 PM
Please desist from letting white supremacists claim something which they do not own. You are as bad as the unionists who see every tricolour as a terrorist symbol.

But in this case they do own it. Go and learn a bit about the flag. And your tricolour comparison is daft and just exposes your lack of understanding of this issue.

BennyCake

Quote from: Boycey on August 15, 2017, 10:13:17 PM
If you saw a confederate flag at the next Cork game would it now be safe to assume the flag bearer to be a racist?

They might live abroad, with no wifi, with no knowledge of this