2018 National Football League Division 4

Started by Junior Ex Laoistalk, October 14, 2017, 11:40:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Giovanni

Players who wear the Laois jersey do not have the right to say whatever comes into their head. They are part of a team (which includes players, mentors and sponsors) and they need to understand that public views like this can bring the entire Laois GAA organisation into disrepute. Calling for the girl in the case to be named and shamed is hardly going to be representative of the view of his team and mentors.

Snowflakes indeed.

High Fielder

Quote from: G@@ on March 30, 2018, 03:23:27 PM
Quote from: High Fielder on March 30, 2018, 10:31:29 AM
I'd leave him sit for the rest of the year. A message needs to be sent to all the youngsters in the county and we need to be seen to be doing the right thing. No half measures. The County is bigger than the individual even if that means shooting ourselves in the foot.

This kinda tripe boils my blood. It's the responsibility of parents to give "messages" to youngsters, not some sports star.

Reading the fookwits on Twitter throwing digs at the county board is laughable, the vast majority of them - hard core feminists, wouldn't know what the inside of O'Moore Park even looks like.

It's high time normal folk start pushing back at these feminists and their left wing comrades as they will eventually get total control if they are let and God help life then or sports like the GAA then, cause they'd next to outlaw it.

Having to change aspects to our games up when some jumped up left winger squeals like a pig is not the way to be running the GAA organisation. Laois GAA should have told them in the nicest way possible to fcuk right off. Enough is enough.

You're joking, right? Or are you being sarcastic?

town1980

Looking at Gary rub out the sponsors name on his post is just so childish time to let Gary go back to his club and cause no more embarrassment for himself and the laois people ....sugru  in fairness his hands are tied

Don Draper

Quote from: town1980 on March 30, 2018, 07:31:15 PM
Looking at Gary rub out the sponsors name on his post is just so childish time to let Gary go back to his club and cause no more embarrassment for himself and the laois people ....sugru  in fairness his hands are tied
f**k off you stones of a man

ILikeStrawberryJam

He made a mistake. He deserves to be dropped for the final.  Then draw a line under it and be
back for the championship. Headwreck for sugrue having to out up with this shite..

Has the potential to be a fascinating match tatically ..

Don Draper

Quote from: ILikeStrawberryJam on March 30, 2018, 10:16:11 PM
He made a mistake. He deserves to be dropped for the final.  Then draw a line under it and be
back for the championship. Headwreck for sugrue having to out up with this shite..

Has the potential to be a fascinating match tatically ..
Who'd be a Laois manager, we're some shower of crazy c***ts

Unison

Once a villain, is Gary Walsh now becoming a cause on twitter?

Its amazing the way things work. I got the impression that Paddy Jackson and co, were seen as victims, even with many women, up until the point they were found not guilty. Once that happened they became villains.

Gary, before being dropped, was a villain. Once dropped, I think he has become a victim and a cause!!

I see a lady on twitter saying 'Enough is enough of all the anger' regarding the reaction of feminists towards Gary.

Keyser Söze

I cannot for the life of me understand how anybody feels that Gary Walsh should be effectively suspended by Laois GAA for a tweet. His profile picture is of himself engaging in a pastime that takes up a huge amount of his time, and one which he has a talent for.

He does not claim to speak for Laois GAA, the Laois Senior Football Team or anyone else for that matter.
I am not going to comment on whether or not I agree with what he said, but it is a legitimate discussion to be having, and one which several others have posted about and offered opinions on. He has the right to an opinion. He could express himself better and so on, but the fact is that only people who have chosen to follow him saw the tweet, directly.
Don't like him or don't agree with him? Unfollow him.

He referred to "feminists" in a way that could be interpreted as derogatory. How many of those who have allowed this to take over their lives for the last 2-3 days have used terms like "misogyny" and "chauvinistic". What's the difference? Attaching unwanted labels to people they don't know.

He has no obligation to the people of Laois to be a role model in his personal life. He does not work for Laois GAA,  he was not speaking at a GAA event. This has nothing to do with Laois GAA.
This expectation that is starting to creep in is unrealistic and unfair. People are into different things and have different "morals".

Seeing as it is topical, if a devout Catholic GAA player puts up a post saying "Save the 8th", is he using his position to influence people? Is he bringing politics into the GAA? Will he be suspended?

I don't agree with the decision to "suspend" him and more importantly I don't agree with WHY he was suspended. Laois GAA and John Sugrue didn't suspend him because of the tweet, they suspended him because of the grief they were getting about it.
Hounded into a decision by people on social media is not a correct basis for making a decision.
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled.......

Don Draper

He was suspended for a breach of the teams COC. It is what it is. He'll be back, with fire in his veins. The birds love a bad boy too.

Keyser Söze

Quote from: Don Draper on March 30, 2018, 11:19:45 PM
He was suspended for a breach of the teams COC. It is what it is. He'll be back, with fire in his veins. The birds love a bad boy too.

1) We are now going down the route of players signing contracts of behaviour?

2) Would he have breached the rules if people hadn't kicked off complaining about it?

High Fielder

So Laois suspended him because of the reaction and not the content? Interesting. Are you sure about that?

Giovanni

Don is absolutely correct. The wearing of the Laois jersey should come with some responsibilities. There is, or should be, a code of conduct which makes this kind of thing an issue worthy of sanction (and this should go for all controversial issues unless sanctioned by the management). The issue here is not about feminism - in my opinion, the reaction to the teeet was over the top - the issue is about how players represent themselves in public while they're wearing the Laois jersey.

Keyser Söze

Quote from: Giovanni on March 31, 2018, 12:01:53 AM
- the issue is about how players represent themselves in public while they're wearing the Laois jersey.

Genuine question- do you feel that fact that he was wearing the Laois jersey in his twitter pic meant he was represeenting Laois while tweeting?

BallyroanAbu

Quote from: Keyser Söze on March 30, 2018, 11:11:06 PM
I cannot for the life of me understand how anybody feels that Gary Walsh should be effectively suspended by Laois GAA for a tweet. His profile picture is of himself engaging in a pastime that takes up a huge amount of his time, and one which he has a talent for.

He does not claim to speak for Laois GAA, the Laois Senior Football Team or anyone else for that matter.
I am not going to comment on whether or not I agree with what he said, but it is a legitimate discussion to be having, and one which several others have posted about and offered opinions on. He has the right to an opinion. He could express himself better and so on, but the fact is that only people who have chosen to follow him saw the tweet, directly.
Don't like him or don't agree with him? Unfollow him.

He referred to "feminists" in a way that could be interpreted as derogatory. How many of those who have allowed this to take over their lives for the last 2-3 days have used terms like "misogyny" and "chauvinistic". What's the difference? Attaching unwanted labels to people they don't know.

He has no obligation to the people of Laois to be a role model in his personal life. He does not work for Laois GAA,  he was not speaking at a GAA event. This has nothing to do with Laois GAA.
This expectation that is starting to creep in is unrealistic and unfair. People are into different things and have different "morals".

Seeing as it is topical, if a devout Catholic GAA player puts up a post saying "Save the 8th", is he using his position to influence people? Is he bringing politics into the GAA? Will he be suspended?

I don't agree with the decision to "suspend" him and more importantly I don't agree with WHY he was suspended. Laois GAA and John Sugrue didn't suspend him because of the tweet, they suspended him because of the grief they were getting about it.
Hounded into a decision by people on social media is not a correct basis for making a decision.

The tweet was very much adversarial and extremely controversial very much taking Laois GAA to a place that it does not want to be. The Laois County Executive are perfectly within their remit to suspend Gary.  The County Executive is responsible for the overall promotion of the game within the county.   They have to decide what is for the greater good, that is to censure Gary or not.  Gary play's for Laois at their pleasure and if they decide otherwise he does not.  The County Board runs Laois GAA not John Sugrue or Gary Walsh, if they are not happy with the tweet and require a suspension they are perfectly entitled to take that course of action.  They are the democratically elected body of the clubs.

Personally I think if you are a Laois Player you have a certain role and responsibilities in wearing that jersey.  Many on here think that on the field is where you start and stop but for a lot of people it goes much further.   Just because he is not getting paid does not absolve him from his responsibilities as a Laois Player.   

The Boy Wonder

Quote from: Keyser Söze on March 30, 2018, 11:11:06 PM

Given the circumstances (Gary Walsh would never have foreseen the furore that his tweet caused) I think that Laois Co Board could have been more protective of the player and arranged his temporary withdrawal from the panel rather than a suspension. Yes, his tweet was very foolish but it was probably a bravado outburst for the benefit of his friends and certainly not intended for a nationwide audience. The vitriolic abuse he had suffered plus missing out on the Div 4 Final is more than enough punishment.