What happens next?

Started by Mayo4Sam, February 28, 2016, 09:40:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mayo4Sam

Anyone know the process for the next dail? Each party nominates a Taoiseach but unless FF vote for Enda then there's no majority, how does a minority government come about?
Excuse me for talking while you're trying to interrupt me

trileacman

I was wondering too. Would much appreciate the constitutional road map for the next few months.
Fantasy Rugby World Cup Champion 2011,
Fantasy 6 Nations Champion 2014

brokencrossbar1

I would imagine there are 3 options. FG/FF coalition with Taoisach dependent on the largest party. Minority Government with either FF or FG leading it(probably FG). A new election straight away. What will happen in the meantime is the current government will act as 'Caretakers'. The logistical problems over the next few weeks are there is St Patrick's day, when the likes of Kenny etc will be off hobnobbing for a while in the States etc. Then when they come back they're into the mouth of Easter so nothing will happen probably till after that. I think the likely outcome, no matter what, will be a second election,  possibly in June.

magpie seanie

It's really interesting. So many sub plots. I'll have a stab at how I see it panning out. Mostly guesswork but here goes

I think we will not get a Taoiseach at the first attempt. No deal will be done by then as only one person in the country needs it - Enda Kenny. Apparently if he doesn't win that vote that triggers a FG leadership contest. Leo and Simon won't want to declare first and Deasy want to be Ceann Comhairle allegedly so it will be interesting how that pans out.

There will be weeks of uncertainty but I think eventually a deal will be struck between FF and FG with a new leader. No one wants another election and some issues will arise that they'll use to justify the deal. They'll produce a programme for government that gives FF more apparent "wins" and the Taoiseach position will rotate.