Previous topic - Next topic

Milltown Row2

Quote from: north_antrim_hound on April 20, 2017, 02:05:34 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on April 20, 2017, 07:44:15 AM
Quote from: armaghniac on April 20, 2017, 12:36:58 AM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on April 20, 2017, 12:12:48 AM
Quote from: armaghniac on April 20, 2017, 12:02:30 AM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on April 19, 2017, 11:19:00 PM
Seafoid knows nobody who's got a pay rise in the north !! It's all collapsing around us

Where did he say that?

He said pay rises are not happening ? Cheerleader much?

That might have been a simplification. I imagine he was referring to his previous point that pay rises, in general, were not keeping pace with inflation. Of course, some people have done fine either because of their job or because they had an element of promotion along the way.

I think you imagined wrong, like Seafoid did, pay rises have increased for some stayed the same for others, been like that long before brexit, 2008 was the crash....people adapt their spending based on their earnings, and it seems people are spending

Pay rises might be happening in the civil service but not much in the private sector
I haven't spoke to anyone who is self employed or runs a small business that is better off compared to 11 years ago
Farming is NI biggest industry and they are feeling the pinch and for once I beleave them

Labour costs go up when material costs go up, once fuel goes up also, then labour costs will go up, I'm getting work done at the house and its not cheap, and that me shopping around...

nah, they may not be better off but not worse off, we are still feeling the effects of 2008, not brexit, yet...Building work has increased and now we have a shortage of decent tradesmen out there to do the work due to a shift in training needs because of 2008 when the building trades took a huge hit...

Waiting on workmen to come and do work is longer than normal, again thats down to not enough apprentices in those trades over the last 9 years..

None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Milltown Row2

Quote from: seafoid on April 20, 2017, 11:10:00 AM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on April 20, 2017, 09:55:17 AM
Quote from: seafoid on April 20, 2017, 09:24:46 AM
Quote from: armaghniac on April 20, 2017, 08:43:13 AM
Debt is keeping spending going, but how well is that going to work out?
Debt either has to be paid off or rolled over.
Without those payrises I wouldn't be very optimistic

I was looking at Debenhams shares. They are down 50% over the last while. Debenhams shoppers are not doing very well.

Tesco is recovering, has returned profits since that big loss in 2015
Do it over 3 years. It doesn't look great
http://m.lse.co.uk/markets/shareprice/charts.asp?share=TSCO

I said its improved since 2015, but I'd say over the past 10/15 years Tesco have done alright
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Milltown Row2

Quote from: seafoid on April 20, 2017, 02:21:36 PM
Seafoid knows nobody who's got a pay rise in the north !! It's all collapsing around us

Where did he say that?

At the level.of the UK economy they basically are not. The economy isn't working for people if the overall level of payrises is lower than inflation. Big deal if 2 or 3 examples got something. Companies are holding back on payrises to pay bonuses and dividends.

The economy hasnt been great since 2008, still in a recession of sorts

seafoid

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on April 20, 2017, 02:34:09 PM
Quote from: seafoid on April 20, 2017, 02:21:36 PM

Where did he say that?

At the level.of the UK economy they basically are not. The economy isn't working for people if the overall level of payrises is lower than inflation. Big deal if 2 or 3 examples got something. Companies are holding back on payrises to pay bonuses and dividends.

The economy hasnt been great since 2008, still in a recession of sorts
For most people.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Eamonnca1

Dougal Maguire

Where did he say that?

That might have been a simplification. I imagine he was referring to his previous point that pay rises, in general, were not keeping pace with inflation. Of course, some people have done fine either because of their job or because they had an element of promotion along the way.

I think you imagined wrong, like Seafoid did, pay rises have increased for some stayed the same for others, been like that long before brexit, 2008 was the crash....people adapt their spending based on their earnings, and it seems people are spending
More uninformed nonsense. Ant public servant on the top of their pay scale will have seen their take home pay fall each year for the last 3 or 4 years.
Careful now

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Dougal Maguire on April 20, 2017, 06:39:20 PM

Where did he say that?

More uninformed nonsense. Ant public servant on the top of their pay scale will have seen their take home pay fall each year for the last 3 or 4 years.

Wife works public sector, wages haven't dropped

imtommygunn

Milltown Row2

Dougal Maguire

Read what I wrote! I said any public servant on the top of their pay scale has seen their take home pay reduced
Careful now

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Dougal Maguire on April 20, 2017, 07:06:59 PM
Read what I wrote! I said any public servant on the top of their pay scale has seen their take home pay reduced

She's on the top of her pay scale and it's not drop, now read that back to yourself

Dougal Maguire

My wife's a teacher and I'm a civil public servant. We take home less money in our pay cheques now than we did 3 years ago. Fact
Careful now

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Dougal Maguire on April 20, 2017, 07:10:08 PM
My wife's a teacher and I'm a civil public servant. We take home less money in our pay cheques now than we did 3 years ago. Fact

My wife's a teacher top of her pay scale and took on an extra point earning more now and I changed jobs from teaching, and earning over double on my previous job which paid same as wife! Private sector would be the way to go to realistically earn a better wage...

Could all fall down round me and might have to go back to teaching..

Dougal Maguire

You're not comparing like with like. Had your wife not got the extra point she'd have seen her pay go down. As regards you working in the private sector, everyone knows there's a shortage of workers in your discipline so naturally the money's going to be better. Supply and demand
Careful now

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Dougal Maguire on April 20, 2017, 07:17:36 PM
You're not comparing like with like. Had your wife not got the extra point she'd have seen her pay go down.

Nope just asked her again and it's not went down, no pay rise but the wages haven't dropped!