"Who is the best Free Taker in Ireland"

Started by Cic Saor, August 08, 2012, 12:33:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cic Saor

Thanks for your replies.

I certainly have my own opinion of who i would give it to but because of my involvement with the cic saor championships i have to abstain from the debate...... i would say they are all incredible players/free takers (there records speaks for themselves).

The fact is no matter who you mention it will only be a matter of opinion, that's why i love the idea of the Cic Saor Championships because it can give us an answer to what must be one of the great unanswered question in GAA "WHO IS THE BEST".

Oisin MccConville must be eager to find out the answer as he has already register.

I'd like to thank Bryan Sheehan for his support of the Cic Saor on twitter.

"To answer a few Questions"

You can kick from the hands or from the ground (kicking tee not allowed) (drop kick not allowed)
Anyone can enter 18 years or older male of female ,past or present
You can only enter the competition on our website www.cicsaor.ie entries close 1st September
All spectators are more than welcome entry fee has yet to be decided
Thankfully we have a fantastic mix of county players and club players already registered ; Oisin McConville(armagh), Paddy Keenan(louth), Derek McGuire(louth), Paddy o Rourke(meath), and Joe Sheridan(meath), are just some of the more notable names taken part. A full list of entrants will be posted about 3 days before the event.

It's important to point out again "this is not just for county player's anyone can enter".

Register "NOW" www.cicsaor.ie

Kind Regards
Cic Saor
info@cicsaor.ie

onefaircounty

Quote from: haranguerer on August 08, 2012, 11:30:05 PM
Quote from: Orangemac on August 08, 2012, 11:20:50 PM
Quote from: magpie seanie on August 08, 2012, 04:25:36 PM
Bryan Sheehan.
One of the best.Definitely the best striker of a ball but the 45 he missed to level the 2008 final with a few minutes to go sticks out.

When the pressure was on for Cross or Armagh Oisin McConville would always deliver (I know he missed the pen in 2002 but he came good late in the game when it counted)

Lol! You dismiss Bryan Sheehan for missing from 45 yards, and propose Oisin McConville although acknowledging he missed from 12 yards. Talk about double standards! McConville was good, but hes not in the same league as Sheehan. Not even close. Noone is.

Who would you rather have taking your 45s by the way, Oisin or Sheehan?

Any you, incredibly, compare a penalty to a 45 - completey different circumstances.

Bord na Mona man

spuds

"As I get older I notice the years less and the seasons more."
John Hubbard

stew

Quote from: Syferus on August 09, 2012, 12:05:06 AM
Quote from: armaghniac on August 09, 2012, 12:00:55 AM
Does Maurice Fitz still kick a ball?

It was too easy for him so he takes the frees exclusively with his head now.

Brilliant! I love McConville but nobody hit a free ever, like Maurice Fitz.
Armagh, the one true love of a mans life.

the Deel Rover

Quote from: Bord na Mona man on August 09, 2012, 11:16:22 AM
Just post the cheque to Larry Reilly!

For sure. Larry would take the free and as the ball drops over the black spot he would be there to collect is as well. 
Crossmolina Deel Rovers
All Ireland Club Champions 2001

shawshank

Quote from: stew on August 09, 2012, 02:35:53 PM
Quote from: Syferus on August 09, 2012, 12:05:06 AM
Quote from: armaghniac on August 09, 2012, 12:00:55 AM
Does Maurice Fitz still kick a ball?

It was too easy for him so he takes the frees exclusively with his head now.

Brilliant! I love McConville but nobody hit a free ever, like Maurice Fitz.

Have to agree his free taking in the All Ireland final when he hit one with his left foot on the 14 from almost the sideline, and then the other from his right foot on the opposit side, followed by free from 55 yards tight on the right side of the pitch was simply brilliant. Mind you, if I was asked to pick one free, it would be Canavans free in the semi final win over Tyrone that stands out. Talk about dealing with pressure.

haranguerer

Quote from: onefaircounty on August 09, 2012, 10:08:55 AM
Quote from: haranguerer on August 08, 2012, 11:30:05 PM
Quote from: Orangemac on August 08, 2012, 11:20:50 PM
Quote from: magpie seanie on August 08, 2012, 04:25:36 PM
Bryan Sheehan.
One of the best.Definitely the best striker of a ball but the 45 he missed to level the 2008 final with a few minutes to go sticks out.

When the pressure was on for Cross or Armagh Oisin McConville would always deliver (I know he missed the pen in 2002 but he came good late in the game when it counted)

Lol! You dismiss Bryan Sheehan for missing from 45 yards, and propose Oisin McConville although acknowledging he missed from 12 yards. Talk about double standards! McConville was good, but hes not in the same league as Sheehan. Not even close. Noone is.

Who would you rather have taking your 45s by the way, Oisin or Sheehan?

Any you, incredibly, compare a penalty to a 45 - completey different circumstances.

And you incredibly, failed to read what you were quoting. I didnt, Orangemac did you idiot. Thats what I was pointing out.

rrhf

Canavan scored 10 frees in the all Ireland final 95. Was there ever a higher lift than that in such a game?

laoislad

Quote from: spuds on August 09, 2012, 11:56:48 AM
Reckon Ian Harte would be hard beat.

Denis Irwin was pretty good at them.
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

armaghniac

If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

royals12

i actually thought that the only meath players who would give it a go would be farrell and cian ward.

magpie seanie

spuds

Seanie, David Maye hit some mightily impressive long distance frees in the Connacht final, does he take frees from nearer in and if so how good is he ?
"As I get older I notice the years less and the seasons more."
John Hubbard

southdown

I may have read somewhere before that Maurice Fitz was once the world kicking champion, some competition in Australia?  Can anybody shed any further light?