Belfast

Started by Dougal Maguire, November 25, 2018, 12:34:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DownFanatic

Great times.
Karma - that was the spot. Wasn't open for long.

bogball88

The Eg, great spot to get fairly juiced up before trying your hand in the Bot. 6 shots for £6 any they came out on a wee ladder try  ;D

GetOverTheBar

Quote from: TheOptimist on November 27, 2018, 02:18:38 PM
Ah the memories lads. 3 for a fiver at Renshaws, late food at Esparantos, Wednesdays at the Bot, the beach club in first year, Sunday night at Hatfield, the wee burger stand outside the union on a Monday. Easier times altogether.

Massive fan of starting the week absolutely dying after a game and then old Ulsterbus down. Better times altogether, The Killers, Snow Patrol and Franz Ferdinand just seemed to be on repeat in every bar.

bogball88

Quote from: GetOverTheBar on November 27, 2018, 02:31:13 PM
Quote from: TheOptimist on November 27, 2018, 02:18:38 PM
Ah the memories lads. 3 for a fiver at Renshaws, late food at Esparantos, Wednesdays at the Bot, the beach club in first year, Sunday night at Hatfield, the wee burger stand outside the union on a Monday. Easier times altogether.

Massive fan of starting the week absolutely dying after a game and then old Ulsterbus down. Better times altogether, The Killers, Snow Patrol and Franz Ferdinand just seemed to be on repeat in every bar.
Bik McFarlane played on a Sunday night in the Hatfield in my time-usually ended up with buying a 10 glass of Glens Vodka afterwards from the off licence and heading on to a party. The week only went one way when that happened

tyroneman

Quote from: johnnycool on November 27, 2018, 12:59:32 PM
For some reason escaping me then and now The Elms was the place to go on a Thursday night, Blackthorn playing the same old dirge (badly) week in week out in a sweat box of a bar and fierce hard to pick up in.

I liked the old upstairs in the Bot with the bar in the middle, the dancefloor with the low roof, fair old craic in there most nights.
If you were refused entry then the Egg got a turn but it was slightly a classier joint back then and if the horn was really on then the Welly Park was the place to go for the older ladies who were looking a bit of company for the night.

Bob Cratchetts was some spot on the Monday night after the nurses got paid, fierce talent, looking to snare themselves a Doctor, so lies had to be told but the best I ever saw was two lads from home, one a farmer and the other a brickie telling these two they were a dentist and a Solicitor and the hands like shovels with ground in dirt. Worked for one, but not the other..
The Hatfield back then was only frequented by the locals and any strange faces were given a quare look, but that was not long after the Sean Grahams shootings. I remember the night the Ballynafeigh band and lodge were first refused entry over the bridge by the RUC, loads of students appeared out from the Holylands watching on the embankment. Turbulent times.

Grub wise Spuds was the first port of call rudely interrupted by the advent of McDonalds across the road but once that novelty wore off it was back to Spuds.
Abacus was a mighty chinese, but a treat as it was dear enough but Mama Mia pizza's on the Lisburn road was a staple diet, £270 for a 12" marguerita and 30p a topping thereafter.

That **** "Barry" and his rip off shop.....

Holy fcuk - was it made of gold?

johnnycool

Quote from: tyroneman on November 27, 2018, 03:45:28 PM
Quote from: johnnycool on November 27, 2018, 12:59:32 PM
For some reason escaping me then and now The Elms was the place to go on a Thursday night, Blackthorn playing the same old dirge (badly) week in week out in a sweat box of a bar and fierce hard to pick up in.

I liked the old upstairs in the Bot with the bar in the middle, the dancefloor with the low roof, fair old craic in there most nights.
If you were refused entry then the Egg got a turn but it was slightly a classier joint back then and if the horn was really on then the Welly Park was the place to go for the older ladies who were looking a bit of company for the night.

Bob Cratchetts was some spot on the Monday night after the nurses got paid, fierce talent, looking to snare themselves a Doctor, so lies had to be told but the best I ever saw was two lads from home, one a farmer and the other a brickie telling these two they were a dentist and a Solicitor and the hands like shovels with ground in dirt. Worked for one, but not the other..
The Hatfield back then was only frequented by the locals and any strange faces were given a quare look, but that was not long after the Sean Grahams shootings. I remember the night the Ballynafeigh band and lodge were first refused entry over the bridge by the RUC, loads of students appeared out from the Holylands watching on the embankment. Turbulent times.

Grub wise Spuds was the first port of call rudely interrupted by the advent of McDonalds across the road but once that novelty wore off it was back to Spuds.
Abacus was a mighty chinese, but a treat as it was dear enough but Mama Mia pizza's on the Lisburn road was a staple diet, £270 for a 12" marguerita and 30p a topping thereafter.

That **** "Barry" and his rip off shop.....

Holy fcuk - was it made of gold?

I told you it was good  ;D

Tony Baloney

Johnny from your post I can age you like looking at rings in a tree  ;D. Like myself I would say you got the bus to the big smoke in '93 or '94 (I started 94).

markl121

Lads yous are making a man want to go back

RedHand88

Shoving as much as you possibly could into a £4 takeaway box from China China. Even when it was bursting at the seams, you still managed to squeeze another spare rib in.

STREET FIGHTER

Quote from: trailer on November 27, 2018, 09:21:59 AM
Quote from: screenexile on November 27, 2018, 09:12:44 AM
Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on November 27, 2018, 07:40:45 AM
Quote from: Fionntamhnach on November 27, 2018, 01:11:58 AM
Quote from: paddyjohn on November 26, 2018, 11:29:53 PM
Haha.. That's very true! Sometimes I wonder how we got away with half the stuff we did and if my own kids were up to it, I'd clash them!
No mobile phones with cameras & no social media to post such pics on the Internet 15 seconds after it's taken. What went on in the Holyland stayed in the Holyland. Unless you got herpes.

Thank f**k!  Some of the antics along Wolsley street circa 1995-98 are best dealt with through hazy memory and retelling of ever more elaborate tales as the memory fades and embellishments increase😂. 

I also wish to refute any arguments that's Julie's Kitchen was a stink hole.....many's the breakfast I had in there and it did me no harm!!!!!

I didn't think Julies Kitchen did breakfast?? Are you thinking about Helen's Bakery on Ormeau?? "What's yours love?"

Helen's bakery was a great spot.
There was a gaff on Stranmillis upstairs like a B&B room. It did a nice fry, anyone mind the name of it?

French Village??

Bakery downstairs?

PMG1

At QUB 90-94, great times but dangerous times, was on my way to the ormeau road bookies about 40 seconds away when the shooting happened, was in it all day the day before and had a winning bet from Tuesday night football game to collect on the day of the shooting.  My week consisted of the chaplaincy Monday night, was actually great craic, place at the top of Sandy Row on Tuesday , can't remeber the name or else the union, Bot Wednesday and never missed Elms on a Thursday. Kebab van opposite the Bot was part of my staple diet, great wee chippy opposite the top of stranmillis gardens too was good spot. Great times but glad the lads there now don't have to worry about the troubles as we did then.

rrhf

The crescent and sphinx. Where was the chaplaincy rings a vague bell here

Harold Disgracey

Quote from: rrhf on November 28, 2018, 12:45:47 AM

The Crescent was some spot, sawdust on the floor and 50p a pint!

RedHand88

Down near the bottom of eglantine avenue

screenexile

Quote from: RedHand88 on November 28, 2018, 07:33:09 AM

Down near the bottom of eglantine avenue

It was down Elmwood Avenue in my time to the left hand side of the Union.

Chaplaincy was always a decent spot for a lunchtime feed now definitely!!