Your own county's club scene.

Started by Farrandeelin, June 16, 2009, 09:13:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Farrandeelin

How does your club championship format work? Is there a backdoor with all kinds of playoffs like the inter-county championship? Is there a group stage for the first round like there is in Mayo. Or is it just plain old lose and your out? In Mayo it's the group stages. It has been like this for a number of years now, but I think there was a backdoor system like the current inter-county system. It caused all sorts of confusion at the time. (It did to me anyway!)

Whoops, thought I was on the Local discussion. If the mods want it over there they can move it there.

PPS, has every county a ban on club games 7 days prior to a senior championship match?
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

Gabriel_Hurl

Tyrone - win and stay in. Lose and you're out

screenexile

Quote from: Farrandeelin on June 16, 2009, 09:13:02 PM
How does your club championship format work? Is there a backdoor with all kinds of playoffs like the inter-county championship? Is there a group stage for the first round like there is in Mayo. Or is it just plain old lose and your out? In Mayo it's the group stages. It has been like this for a number of years now, but I think there was a backdoor system like the current inter-county system. It caused all sorts of confusion at the time. (It did to me anyway!)

Whoops, thought I was on the Local discussion. If the mods want it over there they can move it there.

PPS, has every county a ban on club games 7 days prior to a senior championship match?

Derry pretty much have. We had the group system in place for a few years there but now we've moved to a back door. 16 teams then losers play eachother in a round, the winners of the losers round then play the losers from round 2 proper of the championship and then the winners of that play the winners of the 2nd round. It's a bit complicated but it guarantees everyone at least 2 games which I like.

There is a lot of old fashioned nonsense about bringing back straight knockout because the Championship isn't the same but personally I think it's a disgrace in this day and age to have lads train like dogs for 6 months only for their year to be over after one meaningful championship game.

full back

Armagh - lose & you are out

1st round of the Senior C'ship isnt until mid August, so training from January till August to get a shot at being runners up to Cross :-\

SLIGONIAN

Quote from: Farrandeelin on June 16, 2009, 09:13:02 PM

Id say you know we are the same as above, group stage, then 8 teams in qtrs. I think its a good system although I would have teams seeded for the draw, as too many times in Sligo one group would be very weak and other would have 3 potential finalists. Meaning some very one sided qtrs.

The county get preference throughout the yr on players. Not sure what player ban is in place with regards the lead up to CSFC, it looks like 2 weeks, but i guess alot depends on our county managers requirements. Personally i would let the Sligo players play alot more with there clubs than what actually happens.

I feel one of the greatest myths in Sligo is our club scene, people all to often hide behind the excuse the players arent there etc.. whereas I feel they are and we need to focus on having structures in place to maximise a players potential instead. I would feel Curry, Tourletrane, Coolera, Harps, are as good a clubs as alot of other counties ones IMO and we are lucky to have them. Ive seen alot of great club matches over the yrs in Sligo and long may it continue. Harps beating ballaghdereen was cracking stuff, I know a ballaghdereen man over here who was involved and he told me the set up they had was beyond alot of county set ups but for Harps to take them was even more impressive hearing this.
"hard work will always beat talent if talent doesn't work"

Dinny Breen

Kildare's is a liitle bit complicated, we have 16 senior teams and you are guaranateed 3 games. There are 3 open draws but you can only play 1 team once. We then have a league system, you get 2 points for a win, 1 for a draw. At the end of the three rounds the top 8 teams progress to the quarter-finals, if teams finsh level on points they are seperated by scoreing difference. This is the second year of it, worked pretty well last year I thought.
#newbridgeornowhere

stpauls

In Down it is the plain old lose and your out!! The first 2 rounds are usually played in August with the semis in September and the finals usually played in early October.

brokencrossbar1

Armagh has two competitions, the Senior championship(only has one entrant) and the second best team in Armagh championship :P

Azzurri

Roscommon:

12 Teams - 4 groups of 3 play off in a league basis.

Top 2 teams in each group go through to the quarter finals

Bottom team in each group go to relegation battle

illdecide

Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on June 17, 2009, 11:25:15 AM
Armagh has two competitions, the Senior championship(only has one entrant) and the second best team in Armagh championship :P

But the 2nd best team in the county can still go out in the 1st round if the draw Cross :P, so where does leave the other team that gets beat in the final that had a lucky draw :-X
I can swim a little but i can't fly an inch

muppet

Quote from: stpauls on June 17, 2009, 10:44:51 AM
In Down it is the plain old lose and your out!! The first 2 rounds are usually played in August with the semis in September and the finals usually played in early October.

Not the most optimistic of County Boards then?
MWWSI 2017

GalwayBayBoy

Galway is straight knock out although there is a backdoor round for first round losers mainly to get the numbers right.

clareman

16 senior football teams in Clare. 4 groups of 4 with top 2 in each going into quarter finals. Bottom team in each group fight it out for 1 relagation spot.

Hurling is the same format except that it is 4 groups of 5.

First round of football is this weekend. Hurling has first 2 rounds played already.

stpauls

Quote from: muppet on June 17, 2009, 01:22:20 PM
Quote from: stpauls on June 17, 2009, 10:44:51 AM

Not the most optimistic of County Boards then?

its Down, what do you expect!!  ;D

High Wide and Handsome

Derry took up the group stages last year as it was a load of crap. Senior teams from first divison generally beating 2nd div senior teams. In a group of 4 the last game was usually a waste of space or not even played.

This year though its back door. Have to admit I prefer the back door. It takes more an element of luck out of the scenario and also its not county football, the average club doesnt have the great strength and depth that county sides have. It allows for injuries and also the championship is what players train for, not the league. Having at least 2 really competitive games in a year is what the average man who travels across county every week deserves.

What anyone else think?
"Swing er over!"