2 days in Killarney

Started by his holiness nb, April 07, 2008, 05:30:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

his holiness nb

Spending the may bank holiday weekend there, will have the car to get our and about.
Any suggestions as to must see or do things?

Bear in mind the missus will be 7 1/2 months pregnant then so no bungee jumping recommendations!
Ask me holy bollix

AZOffaly

Killarney, and Kerry generally, is great if the weather is good. I haven't been down as a 'tourist' in a long time, but there's still a few things that are worth doing, even as someone who is down there a lot.

We'll assume the weather will be decent.

Firstly, if you are just down for the weekend, I wouldn't recommend doing the ring of Kerry. It's a long aul' drive, and you'd only be cranky after it. However, it's well worth a quick drive out to Lady's View, or Moll's Gap, which is on the eastern side of the Ring of Kerry, down towards Kenmare. In fact Kenmare itself is a lovely little town 'Neidín' and the wife would probably like it.

If you don't fancy a long drive, you could head out for a walk in Muckross House and Gardens, or down to Ross Castle and the lakes. I think you can hire out a boat too, but a 7 month pregnant woman might be a bit dicey :D

There are a few nice hotels, like the Plaza, where you can go in and have a nice lunch or whatever. Out on the Killorglin Road there is the Castleross hotel, which also has nice view of the lakes, and is much more casual and affordable for dinner, and the view from the bar is lovely as well.

Don't forget the Jarveys as well! :D

magickingdom

hh, there are stacks of hotels in killarney but if the missus is 7 1/2 months pregnant it woukd be a good idea to get one thats quite. az gave you great advice there but if you want one in the town center the old great southern (the malton is the new name i think) is very central but also quite and has a pool etc. as for what to do all that az mentioned and pay a visit to tatler jacks to see some of the great gaa pictures... not too many dubs tho! hope you have a great time

J70

The traditional farming village out by Muckross is worth a look. Ross Castle as well. The Lady's View is well worth driving up to. I'd highly recommend driving around the Ring as well. Caherdaniel is beautiful and you can drop down to Derrynane to see Daniel O'Connell's place (as far as I remember, his birthplace in Cahirciveen is marked too). Stunning scenery all around. I spent a good bit of couple of summers down there doing grad research - happy days!

give her dixie

That weekend the Rally Of The Lakes will be on and it will be just crazy with traffic. The town will be heaving with people and boy racers. Molls Gap is one of the stages which is run on both Saturday and Sunday.
Accomodation will be hard to get unless you have already booked.
Deadly town otherwise
next stop, September 10, for number 4......

his holiness nb

Cheers folks, already booked into the Plaza. Will the rally be in the way of driving round the scenic routes?
Ask me holy bollix

AZOffaly

You could head out the other way if the Rally is on. I hadn;t thought of that to be honest.

You should still be able to get to Ross Castle, or Muckross, but if the Rally is on, Lady's View, Moll's Gap and Kenmare might be trickier. I'm sure the roads will be opened at various times though...

The Plaza is lovely, the missus will love it. There's a Molton Brown spa there as well, so you could treat her. The pool and sauna etc are is lovely there, very lowly lit, with uplights under the water. Very relaxing. Wise choice in hotel.

his holiness nb

Quote from: AZOffaly on April 08, 2008, 01:38:29 PM
There's a Molton Brown spa there as well, so you could treat her.

Oh I know, thats why she wanted that hotel!   :-[
Ask me holy bollix