The OFFICIAL Liverpool FC thread - Arne to Slot right in?

Started by Gabriel_Hurl, February 05, 2009, 03:47:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

From the Bunker

Allot of Liverpool lads losing the run of themselves here. We beat a Man United team in disarray. Lesser sides have turned them over this season. City have no longer the added burden of extra Champions league and FA Cup matches. They can fully focus on league games and this leaves them with a great chance.Same for Chelsea with the FA Cup. And lets not forget Arsenal who have not gone away despite the media having forgot about them. The reality is Liverpool have gone from playing for fourth to playing for third and a small chance of finishing 1st or 2nd.

Jonah

Quote from: From the Bunker on March 18, 2014, 11:08:44 AM
Allot of Liverpool lads losing the run of themselves here. We beat a Man United team in disarray. Lesser sides have turned them over this season. City have no longer the added burden of extra Champions league and FA Cup matches. They can fully focus on league games and this leaves them with a great chance.Same for Chelsea with the FA Cup. And lets not forget Arsenal who have not gone away despite the media having forgot about them. The reality is Liverpool have gone from playing for fourth to playing for third and a small chance of finishing 1st or 2nd.
I dunno I think if Liverpool keep playing like they are then they can win all remaining games.
It will be difficult to keep the level up but Liverpool are the form team in the league atm.
Anyone who doesn't believe they are title contenders are fooling themselves.
Granted United were/are an easy touch right now but Liverpool were outstanding and even at that I've seen them play better this season.
Rodgers deserves great credit imo. He has turned a team who finished 7th last year into title contenders,  Moyes has done the exact opposite.

AZOffaly

Who's losing the run of themselves? That was a great result, but all it does is keep the challenge alive. No silverware handed out on Sunday.

Bingo

I don't think too many lads are losing the run of themselves. The opposite in fact whereby O'Neill is trying to talk up a title challenge and others are disagreeing with him.

Without doubt they have a chance, they are well in it despite EC's humourous use of smileys etc  ::) . While they are in it, I would take some convincing that they will win it. Just very hard to see them maintaining this run to the end of the season and with 4 teams in it, one of them will have to go unbeaten to win the league I reckon. Can this be Liverpool? I just think they'll come short, could finish 4th or finish 1st, its going to that type of finish.

As they have been doing so far, they just need to keep focused on next game and aim to win it.

On Sunday, I don't think they were at there best to win. The front 3 never really clicked as they have in the past and the final ball/decision was poor. Says more about United that they couldn't really trouble liverpool, they were very predictable and played at the one pace all day. Change is badly needed at OT but I'd be in rush to see it.

Roll on Cardiff at weekend....biggest game of the season this one  :)

Milltown Row2

Great result for Liverpool, thought Liverpool were very pacey up front and Utd (like all season) couldn't get a grip on the game. Title there for the taking.

If Utd were in the same position as Liverpool they'd be talking themselves up for the championship
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

AZOffaly

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on March 18, 2014, 11:34:23 AM
Great result for Liverpool, thought Liverpool were very pacey up front and Utd (like all season) couldn't get a grip on the game. Title there for the taking.

If Utd were in the same position as Liverpool they'd be talking themselves up for the championship

Because they've (as a group) done it so often before. The first one after a long break is the hardest. I just can't see Liverpool winning every game to the end, and in the position we are in, 1 loss or even a draw may be enough to end the challenge. Now, having said that, if you told me that with 9 games to go, Liverpool were within 4 points of the lead, with a game in hand, and 2 of the 3 other challengers yet to come to Anfield (and the the fourth was battered there 5-1) I'd have assumed you were drunk. It's a great season so far, and as long as they finish strong they'll have a chance, but even a 2nd, 3rd or 4th place finish would be a good result, as long as they don't implode.

EC Unique

Quote from: AZOffaly on March 18, 2014, 11:48:02 AM

Because they've (as a group) done it so often before. The first one after a long break is the hardest. I just can't see Liverpool winning every game to the end, and in the position we are in, 1 loss or even a draw may be enough to end the challenge. Now, having said that, if you told me that with 9 games to go, Liverpool were within 4 points of the lead, with a game in hand, and 2 of the 3 other challengers yet to come to Anfield (and the the fourth was battered there 5-1) I'd have assumed you were drunk. It's a great season so far, and as long as they finish strong they'll have a chance, but even a 2nd, 3rd or 4th place finish would be a good result, as long as they don't implode.

At this stage looking at the table and fixture list you would consider 4th a good result?

God14

Quote from: EC Unique on March 18, 2014, 12:08:53 PM
Quote from: AZOffaly on March 18, 2014, 11:48:02 AM

At this stage looking at the table and fixture list you would consider 4th a good result?

Fourth was the target last August EC, and at the time seemed a very ambitious one given the money City, Chelsea and particularly Spurs had splashed, plus with the old reliables like Arsenal & Man Utd into the mix as well - we finished 7th last season

Perspective.

J OGorman

Quote from: From the Bunker on March 18, 2014, 11:08:44 AM

= 1 Liverpool poster and a Gunner

Carmen Stateside

4th was always the aim. That's why Liverpool seem to be playing with swagger and confidence, with it almost guaranteed everything else is a bonus. 
Manchester may seem like favourites because they have the games in hand but a closer look at them games sees them having to travel to arsenal,Everton, Liverpool and to Old Trafford for a derby.
Chelsea have still the problems up front and also champions league to worry about (hopefully still after tonight).  Pressure is on both these teams to win the league, qualification to champions league won't do.
Now to Arsenal, a win against Chelsea at the weekend will turn everything in their favour IMO. City at home and Everton away being the toughest games in the run in. If I had a few spare dollars I would be putting them on Arsenal at this stage.
Liverpool will have to win all games to the finish to be in with a shout but it's an awful big ask.

J70

I think Liverpool have a great chance to win the league. The small squad might be a problem, but they've coped well with the injuries so far this season. Obviously there is a nagging doubt given that they've never done it before and don't have that experience, but they also won't have the fear. The self confidence of the likes of.Suarez and Sturridge will take some knocking! Get a good win at a desperate Cardiff and I see no reason why they can't at least do their own part, regardless of what City do.

AZOffaly

I'm loathe to do game by game predictions, because they always blow up in your face (EC take note ! :D), however if you look at the run ins in general terms, I find it hard to see how Liverpool are going to do enough to win the title. Arsenal might just be sneaky dark horses, especially if they avoid defeat next week against Chelsea.

Chelsea - 30 GP, GD +33, Pts 66

Arsenal (H), Palace (A), Stoke City (H), Swansea City (A), Sunderland (H), Liverpool (A), Norwich City (H), Cardiff City (A)

Liverpool - 29 GP, GD+41, Pts 62

Cardiff City (A), Sunderland (H), Spurs (H), West Ham (A), Man City (H), Norwich City (A), Chelsea (H), Palace (A), Newcastle (H)

Arsenal - 29 GP, GD+25, Pts 62

Chelsea (A), Swansea City (H), Man City (H), Everton (A), Hull City (A), Newcastle (H), West Brom (H), Norwich City (A)

Manchester City - 27 GP, GD+44, Pts 60

Fulham (H), Man United (A), Arsenal (A), Southampton (H), Liverpool (A), West Brom (H), Palace (A), Everton (A), West Ham (H)

gawa316

Quote from: Carmen Stateside on March 18, 2014, 12:36:36 PM

Liverpool will have to win all games to the finish to be in with a shout but it's an awful big ask.

Definitely considering we have just won 5 in a row...to win 14 in a row is unheard off.

We actually would've won our last 8 in a row, only for a brain fart from oul Kolo, but that just  adds to the difficulty of winning these 9 games. No matter how well you play there is always the possibility of a mistake or individual error waiting to happen.

Gabriel_Hurl

Lads - look at the clown who you are arguing with

Quote from: Gazzler on March 16, 2014, 10:09:37 PM
Quote from: EC Unique on May 09, 2013, 10:48:03 PM
Liverpool are no longer a threat to united in terms of success. We look at Liverpool along the same lines Fulham or West Ham. I doubt if that will change anytime soon so we take a lot less interest.
Post of the decade!

Milltown Row2

None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea