The Official Golf Thread

Started by laoislad, December 28, 2006, 07:07:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

imtommygunn

I see Dublin airport have lost Leona Maguire's clubs with her to play in a major next week. I think they lost Nicholas Roche's bike too  :o

yellowcard

Quote from: Walter Cronc on July 18, 2022, 10:18:33 AM
Quote from: Orior on July 18, 2022, 08:08:42 AM
Quote from: Turf on July 18, 2022, 07:25:39 AM
Quote from: Walter Cronc on July 17, 2022, 06:09:07 PM
McGinley an odious individual. Can't hide his hate for Rory! Clown
Really? Is there a bad history between them or something? I like Mcginley. Met him once going into a match in Croke Park and he stood for pictures with my kid and was very nice.

No, Walter is completely wrong on that one.

Listen to the clown. Always throwing digs at Rory!

That's very surprising as I had always thought the opposite with McGinley often waxing lyrical about Rory in interviews. But I admit that I didn't watch the golf yesterday so I don't know what he was saying about him. Met McGinley with his father once before and he was a gentleman.

Walter Cronc

Quote from: yellowcard on July 18, 2022, 10:54:47 AM
Really? Is there a bad history between them or something? I like Mcginley. Met him once going into a match in Croke Park and he stood for pictures with my kid and was very nice.

Well I play and watch a lot of golf and I'm not the only one who says McGinley is always sniping at Rory!

That's very surprising as I had always thought the opposite with McGinley often waxing lyrical about Rory in interviews. But I admit that I didn't watch the golf yesterday so I don't know what he was saying about him. Met McGinley with his father once before and he was a gentleman.

thebigfella

Quote from: Walter Cronc on July 18, 2022, 11:04:35 AM
Quote from: yellowcard on July 18, 2022, 10:54:47 AM

Well I play and watch a lot of golf and I'm not the only one who says McGinley is always sniping at Rory!

Not sure what playing golf has to do with it  ::)

Gabriel_Hurl

Quote from: imtommygunn on July 18, 2022, 10:38:26 AM
I see Dublin airport have lost Leona Maguire's clubs with her to play in a major next week. I think they lost Nicholas Roche's bike too  :o

bag found

imtommygunn

Quote from: Gabriel_Hurl on July 18, 2022, 11:35:16 AM
Quote from: imtommygunn on July 18, 2022, 10:38:26 AM

bag found

Good.

Will it ever end

$110m being reported for Cam Smith to defect to LIV - very difficult to see him not taking that with his major exemptions now in the bag.

Also good old David Feherty gone over as well

Certain to be more big names cross over in the coming weeks - PGA had a problem but now a major problem with the quality being enticed across ...

quit yo jibbajabba

Leaving aside the politics etc of it all, obscene figures

Orior

Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

trailer

Stenson to LIV golf is a real poke in the eye to the PGA tour and DP world tour. Ryder Cup Captain. A full on attack on the tours flagship event. It is meant to devalue it. "Look sure Stenson doesn't even care about the captaincy"

It's an all out dollar war and the traditional tours are going to lose. The figures are obscene and more and more players will defect until none are left.

JPGJOHNNYG

Quote from: trailer on July 19, 2022, 11:24:39 AM
Stenson to LIV golf is a real poke in the eye to the PGA tour and DP world tour. Ryder Cup Captain. A full on attack on the tours flagship event. It is meant to devalue it. "Look sure Stenson doesn't even care about the captaincy"

It's an all out dollar war and the traditional tours are going to lose. The figures are obscene and more and more players will defect until none are left.

True all the more reason to ban the players from the majors about the only tool they have seeing as financially it's a mis-match and why would they even consider Norman's request for rankings points either as it will only accelerate Liv to the top dog.

quit yo jibbajabba

This will end up like the time ye continued to watch the darts on the bbc till ye realised there wasnt a decent player left....

yellowcard

Quote from: trailer on July 19, 2022, 11:24:39 AM

What does it also tell you about where the Ryder Cup ranks with golfers. Despite their platitudes about it being a lifelong dream, the reality is that its primarily a means of boosting their marketability and sponsorship opportunities with all of the spin offs that come with that. In a sporting achievement sense it doesn't really rank that high in what is one of the ultimate individual sports when you can have the captain doing the maths on what presents the best opportunity for him personally. 

HiMucker

Quote from: quit yo jibbajabba on July 19, 2022, 06:30:03 PM
This will end up like the time ye continued to watch the darts on the bbc till ye realised there wasnt a decent player left....
Thats the exact analogy I was thinking of. The majors will only carry any value if the best players play in them.

DrinkingHarp

With the shotgun format there can only be 54 players

Right now they have 5 of the top 30 in world rankings, its hard to see them picking up another 10-30 top 50 world ranked players to compete with the PGA or DP World Tour.

The money will eventually dry up with all the "bonus fees" to join and insane payouts for individual and team format. They will eventually need sponsorship money.

How much does the "Shark" make as CEO?
Gaaboard Predict The World Cup Champion 2014