The Official Golf Thread

Started by laoislad, December 28, 2006, 07:07:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thewobbler

The new course is astounding. Absolutely amazing. Still a little touch rough around the edges in places (club length drop everywhere) but you don't notice it as the routing, the views, the topography are just different level.

I've never seen wider fairways but the trade off is two-fold. If you do find the rough, it's goodbye. Plus  there are so many hidden dips and undulations off the tee, and cleverly positioned green complexes that the wrong side of the fairway is simply the wrong shot. And for us mere mortals, truth is you need the driver on almost every hole in the middle of the course when it really flexes its muscles.

The greens are huge, probably even bigger than Lough Erne and have serious undulations.

I've never played anything like it.

Would love to play it every day. So much fun.

smelmoth

Quote from: Mikhail Prokhorov on June 22, 2021, 08:33:08 PM
no covid (zika) in Japan?  ;)

or did team gb not want Ireland's greatest  ::)

late call up for hewitt

That one got the response it deserved

trailer

Quote from: thewobbler on June 29, 2021, 10:55:18 PM
The new course is astounding. Absolutely amazing. Still a little touch rough around the edges in places (club length drop everywhere) but you don't notice it as the routing, the views, the topography are just different level.

I've never seen wider fairways but the trade off is two-fold. If you do find the rough, it's goodbye. Plus  there are so many hidden dips and undulations off the tee, and cleverly positioned green complexes that the wrong side of the fairway is simply the wrong shot. And for us mere mortals, truth is you need the driver on almost every hole in the middle of the course when it really flexes its muscles.

The greens are huge, probably even bigger than Lough Erne and have serious undulations.

I've never played anything like it.

Would love to play it every day. So much fun.

If you leave your approach in the wrong place even on the green, good luck getting down in 2.

TwoUpTwoDown

God I'm genuinely counting the days now. Is anyone here a member at Rosapenna? We're looking at getting a property in the locality and I'd consider a membership at it. Although Dunfanaghy or Portsalon might make more financial sense!

screenexile

McIlroy 4/1 on Paddypower?? f**k away off!!

trailer

Quote from: screenexile on July 01, 2021, 01:13:04 AM
McIlroy 4/1 on Paddypower?? f**k away off!!

That's basically buying money. Get the house on him.

Boycey

I'd have thought 4/1 pretty decent price, there isn't much depth to the field.

screenexile

Quote from: Boycey on July 01, 2021, 10:04:38 AM

Don't think I've seen as low a price for a golf tournament before and McIlroy's been in plenty of weak fields in Irish Open's/Europe without winning!

I went for Martin Kaymer who had a good week last week hopefully he can pull this one out of the bag.

Minder

Quote from: screenexile on July 01, 2021, 11:35:29 AM

Don't think I've seen as low a price for a golf tournament before and McIlroy's been in plenty of weak fields in Irish Open's/Europe without winning!

I went for Martin Kaymer who had a good week last week hopefully he can pull this one out of the bag.

Tiger Woods was 6/4 for the 05 or 06 Masters, which I believe was the lowest ever price for a Majors
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

Boycey

Did you look at quality of field? I don't ever remember as poor at an Irish Open and a 20% chance doesn't exactly make him a shoo in. I'm not a big punter on the golf but I'd say it's a pretty fair price

Mikhail Prokhorov

Quote from: Boycey on July 01, 2021, 01:27:39 PM

Did you look at quality of field? I don't ever remember as poor at an Irish Open and a 20% chance doesn't exactly make him a shoo in. I'm not a big punter on the golf but I'd say it's a pretty fair price

you obviously don't know much about probabilities then, it was 5% at best which is now down to about 1%  ::)

JimStynes

Thon mcilroy fella is useless

Boycey

Another good start from Seamus Power in the US, he's gotta turn one of these chances into a big payday soon...

Gabriel_Hurl

He won nearly a quarter million a few tournaments ago

JPGJOHNNYG

Quote from: Gabriel_Hurl on July 01, 2021, 11:31:55 PM
He won nearly a quarter million a few tournaments ago

Ok money but it's all about getting back on the tour full time