The Official Golf Thread

Started by laoislad, December 28, 2006, 07:07:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Kidder81 on January 26, 2021, 08:57:13 AM
Quote from: JimStynes on January 26, 2021, 07:58:10 AM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on January 26, 2021, 07:54:50 AM

Vol Rory McIlroy

Ha ha that's ceremonial, as opposed to him draping himself in the butchers apron after a Ryder Cup & also describing himself as British, you know his own words, not mine or yours.

I'm taking the piss, draping himself with thon flag is his choice, I wouldn't begrudge him though. He's never felt pressured into doing what others want him to do, he's not been brought up on the Falls road, he hasn't had personal life experiences, his fathers or mothers family maybe, but not him personally.

We grow up and develop in the area where you are from and they have a huge bearing on ideas and attitudes.

That doesn't change his ability, which is questionably the best Irish sports star, certainly the best ever golfer Ireland has ever had for now
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Hound

Quote from: Orior on January 25, 2021, 05:06:11 PM
Quote from: Hound on January 25, 2021, 04:32:58 PM

It's a shame Jonathan Rea's sport doesn't get the coverage. He is superb, equivalent to Lewis Hamilton. Although also doesn't help that there's two motorcycle codes vying for top spot.

I never knew that. What are the two codes?

World Superbikes and MotoGP would both claim to have the World Motorcycle Champion.

Whereas Formula 1 is out on its own.

Yanks might disagree with both of those observations.

Quote from: lenny on January 25, 2021, 05:25:15 PM

Ah come on Eileen, poor old Johnny Rea's not that famous.
Which is why I said it's a pity he doesn't get the coverage. He's arguably just as good as Hamilton but not even a fraction as famous. It was good he got a mention on the BBC Sports Personality of the Year, albeit about 5 seconds!
But if he was as famous he'd probably be getting similar treatment to what Rory gets on this thread!

Hound

Quote from: 6th sam on January 25, 2021, 06:59:26 PM
Quote from: Hound on January 25, 2021, 04:32:58 PM

I don't get Keane's priority. Having attended pretty much every home competitive international that Roy and Paul McGrath both played, I would not be able to separate them. Both were great. Both won English player of the year once each (as did Brady). While Keane has more medals than McGrath, that's a reflection of playing for a better team. And McGrath played a massive hand in an unfashionable Villa team finishing league runner-up twice and winning two League Cups.

Mcgrath was outstanding and technically superior to Keane , but with EPL one of the best leagues in the world, Keane was the most influential player for the best team for a considerable period. Internationally he made ROI competitive against top teams .
As I said, I don't think Keane was better for Ireland than McGrath. Both were super and both had a few peak years where they were man of the match in practically every game.

I think you've a bit of green tinted glasses re Keane for United. He was captain of a team of superstars, which was great. But, like McGrath, he only won Player of the Year once. Cantona, Giggs, Sheringham, Van Nistelrooy, Giggs, Rooney all won it once. Ronaldo the only one of them to win it twice. 
Keane never got placed in the European Footballer of the Year awards, unlike Cantona and Beckham, and of course Ronaldo was the first ManU player to win it since Best and Bobby Charlton.

Mikhail Prokhorov

Gabriel_Hurl

Fitting you'd like a cheating sc**bag

Orior

How on earth did the cheatin sh1t get away with that drop on Saturday?
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

quit yo jibbajabba

Not following it at all but SSN says Rory did something v similar today?

Gabriel_Hurl

Quote from: quit yo jibbajabba on January 31, 2021, 10:01:09 PM
Not following it at all but SSN says Rory did something v similar today?
he did it yesterday too

Boycey

The PGA have detailed at great length how and why what both players did was fine.

Mikhail Prokhorov

Reed sticking it to the haters anyway  ;D

McIlroy his usual sunday no show, guilty conscience maybe  ;)

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Mikhail Prokhorov on January 31, 2021, 10:31:19 PM
Reed sticking it to the haters anyway  ;D

McIlroy his usual sunday no show, guilty conscience maybe  ;)

Just the four  ;D

Ireland's greatest
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

trailer

Optics of Rees's actions are just awful. Integrity of his win thrown into doubt. He appears to be a pretty awful person and widely disliked.

Applesisapples

The stories about Reed are many. In this instance, much as I dislike him he did nothing wrong. None of his partners saw the ball bounce. He asked the steward who also said the ball did not bounce. He marked the ball, (as did McIlroy in similar circumstances) to confirm that it had plugged. Unsure he called the rules official who gave him a drop. This happens week in week out on all courses and we all give playing partners the benefit of the doubt, the fact that TV pictures later showed a bounce is not relevant. As far as I know the use of TV was banned a few years back to prevent dicks ringing in to say that balls moved. Only Reed can say whether his intentions were within the spirit, they were certainly with in the letter of the rules.

thebigfella

Quote from: trailer on February 01, 2021, 03:06:10 PM
Optics of Rees's actions are just awful. Integrity of his win thrown into doubt. He appears to be a pretty awful person and widely disliked.

No it's not. Done everything correct.

trailer

Improved his lie. Got up and down. His ball wasn't plugged and I'd say going on his previous he knew it wasn't plugged. He's a cheat. If this is what he does when cameras are watching then what does he do when they aren't? And to add to it all he or at least his team has a burner twitter account to tweet "golf facts". His is a terrible advert for the game. No wonder Nike dropped him!