The Official Golf Thread

Started by laoislad, December 28, 2006, 07:07:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

screenexile

He was 14 yards short from a 107 yard approach. . . sounds like a duffed shot to me you're not going to be that badly out with your yardage from that distance!

AZOffaly

Short, or left/right? He just said 14 yards away.

Boycey

Rory has had an equipment and ball change over the winter, then got injured early season. He also took a period off to get married so hes seriously undercooked in terms of tournament rounds this year. Wedge play and distance control comes with repetitive golf but i'd say that finishing 4th at The Open despite giving them all a head start means hes not far away...

As for the shot at the 1st, no golfer would need to be told from that distance what club to hit

Boycey

On the last hole Spieth had a 60ft putt for eagle, put it 20ft past and two putted from there for par. This of course means he's a bad putter..

Franko

Quote from: Boycey on August 03, 2017, 04:00:28 PM
Rory has had an equipment and ball change over the winter, then got injured early season. He also took a period off to get married so hes seriously undercooked in terms of tournament rounds this year. Wedge play and distance control comes with repetitive golf but i'd say that finishing 4th at The Open despite giving them all a head start means hes not far away...

As for the shot at the 1st, no golfer would need to be told from that distance what club to hit

Why not?  Some of these guys are carrying 3/4 wedges in their bags?

screenexile

Quote from: AZOffaly on August 03, 2017, 03:45:55 PM
Short, or left/right? He just said 14 yards away.

On PGAtour.com if you click into the scorecard it gives you details of all players shots. . . he was 14 yards short of the pin from 107 yards!

Boycey

Quote from: Franko on August 03, 2017, 04:22:09 PM

So if they know the distance they won't know what wedge to hit unless the caddy tells him? The caddys only job there is to tell the player the distance.

Puckoon

Quote from: Franko on August 03, 2017, 03:14:09 PM
Quote from: Puckoon on August 03, 2017, 02:47:06 PM
Pin high doesn't have any bearing. You could be 3 foot from the hole, pin high - and still have a nightmare putt

Orior it one hole - but yes there's no doubt Rory needs serious work on his short iron proximity to the hole work. Been abysmal recently.

Laura Davies 5 under at the women's British Open in a surprise story after qualifying her way in. Camera cuts to her and Peter Aliss says "Here we go, Big Laura".

I beg to differ... whether they were pin high or not would tell you whether the caddy had clubbed him correctly.  If Rory's 14yds short/long, he's probably got the wrong club in his hand.  If, after that, Rory had steered it wrong, it's nothing to do with the caddy (nearly!).

I see where you're coming from - but from 103 in - he has 10 different shots he can probably hit with 3-4 clubs. It's an execution issue on his part, not the caddy or the distance. Could be a bad shot, could be a bad break/bounce/angle to the pin. 103 yards out and wrong sided isn't a picnic depending on the course/set up etc.. Where JP was "at fault" (if there is such a thing) was some of the reckless shots Rory was hitting off the Tee and going for miracle carries etc...

Pin high is only useful if that's where you want to be putting from.

Franko

Quote from: Boycey on August 03, 2017, 04:26:04 PM
Quote from: Franko on August 03, 2017, 04:22:09 PM

So if they know the distance they won't know what wedge to hit unless the caddy tells him? The caddys only job there is to tell the player the distance.

No way.  The caddy is there for a lot more than that.

Franko

Quote from: Puckoon on August 03, 2017, 04:56:28 PM
Quote from: Franko on August 03, 2017, 03:14:09 PM
Quote from: Puckoon on August 03, 2017, 02:47:06 PM
Pin high doesn't have any bearing. You could be 3 foot from the hole, pin high - and still have a nightmare putt

Orior it one hole - but yes there's no doubt Rory needs serious work on his short iron proximity to the hole work. Been abysmal recently.

Laura Davies 5 under at the women's British Open in a surprise story after qualifying her way in. Camera cuts to her and Peter Aliss says "Here we go, Big Laura".

I beg to differ... whether they were pin high or not would tell you whether the caddy had clubbed him correctly.  If Rory's 14yds short/long, he's probably got the wrong club in his hand.  If, after that, Rory had steered it wrong, it's nothing to do with the caddy (nearly!).

I see where you're coming from - but from 103 in - he has 10 different shots he can probably hit with 3-4 clubs. It's an execution issue on his part, not the caddy or the distance. Could be a bad shot, could be a bad break/bounce/angle to the pin. 103 yards out and wrong sided isn't a picnic depending on the course/set up etc.. Where JP was "at fault" (if there is such a thing) was some of the reckless shots Rory was hitting off the Tee and going for miracle carries etc...

Pin high is only useful if that's where you want to be putting from.

Fair enough, the execution needs to be right.  That was kinda half my point.  But there's no situation where a 3ft putt is harder than one from 40 odd feet.

Puckoon

Caddy role has definitely expanded over the years - to the point now where in some media circles Jordan Speith is being called Jordan Greller, such is his reliance on his caddy.

Phil and Bones was probably the defining player/caddy relationship of the last 20 years, exception being Carl Spackler and the Dalai Lama (big hitter, the Lama).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RnHaTlI1p7o

These guys need to know distances to front and back of bunkers, tiers of greens, sprinkler heads in the fairways, where to miss etc...

Rory has to know more about this course here than his new caddy however - he won it 2 years ago.

Milltown Row2

Bitta form from Rory, Speith keeping his eye in, Zack leading the way
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Orior

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on August 06, 2017, 08:13:34 PM
Bitta form from Rory, Speith keeping his eye in, Zack leading the way

Didn't last too long!
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

TheOptimist

A quid each way on mcilroy at 5/1. He finishes fifth and I all I get back is 50p. How does that work out? Even if it's down to being joint fifth I should have at least my quid back, no?

screenexile

Quote from: TheOptimist on August 06, 2017, 11:12:29 PM
A quid each way on mcilroy at 5/1. He finishes fifth and I all I get back is 50p. How does that work out? Even if it's down to being joint fifth I should have at least my quid back, no?

In a dead heat your stake gets divided by the number of 5th places... it's shite!