The Official Golf Thread

Started by laoislad, December 28, 2006, 07:07:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Applesisapples

Sky and the Beeb are very good at this sort of thing too. McIlroy has been clear from the start that he considers himself British and Northern Irish, disappointing as that is for the community from which he hails, it is non the less his right. He should have had the balls to stick with this. Instead like McGuigan before him he is trying to ride two horses, never a good idea, although McGuigan was smarter when it came to flags. I'd rather see Gmac and Lowery representing Ireland as they have been quite clear about their allegiances from the get go.

Dinny Breen

GMAC turns it down as well.

An Olympic medal is nothing to these guys it's all about the 4 majors that's what they put their lives on hold for. It just reinforces the point that Golf, Tennis etc should not be in the Olympics.
#newbridgeornowhere

AZOffaly

Was just about to say that. Gmac has no interest either. I wouldn't be surprised if Lowry does too.

Hound

Quote from: AZOffaly on June 23, 2016, 01:18:20 PM
Was just about to say that. Gmac has no interest either. I wouldn't be surprised if Lowry does too.
Gmac's wife is expecting. Due around the time of Rio I think.

I think Lowry will go. Harrington too.

nrico2006

I wonder if G Mac will get as much abuse as McIlroy for withdrawing?  I somehow doubt it.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

Shamrock Shore

Of course the rumour that golfers take 'supplements' that are on the banned IOC list but not on the PGA list was surely put out by someone wearing a tinfoil hat.

Don't you think  ???

AZOffaly

Is Guinness on the list? Lowry will be next.

Link

Quote from: nrico2006 on June 23, 2016, 01:30:32 PM
I wonder if G Mac will get as much abuse as McIlroy for withdrawing?  I somehow doubt it.

His wife is due a few weeks after the olympics, decent excuse!

NAG1

Quote from: Shamrock Shore on June 23, 2016, 01:31:49 PM
Of course the rumour that golfers take 'supplements' that are on the banned IOC list but not on the PGA list was surely put out by someone wearing a tinfoil hat.

Don't you think  ???

Well who was the first high profile one to come out and say they werent going  ;)

Big Vijay  ;D

muppet

Quote from: Link on June 23, 2016, 01:37:56 PM

His wife is due a few weeks after the olympics, decent excuse!

Ok.

How many lads here have taken a few weeks off BEFORE the wife's due date? Would you not normally do it AFTER?
MWWSI 2017

screenexile

Quote from: laoislad on June 23, 2016, 01:43:57 PM
Why would he? He has a perfectly valid reason not to go.

If Lowry doesn't go is he a **** as well??

nrico2006

His wife isn't due during the event, but weeks after it.  His reason (which is entirely his choice) is no more credible than McIlroys.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

AZOffaly

And of course no kids are ever born before their due date.

Boycey

You are a wild hard bunch of lads, I hope none of you ever have a difficult decision like that to make. Family first every time....

Some of the stuff written here especially about McIlroy is embarrassing.

muppet

Quote from: AZOffaly on June 23, 2016, 01:59:11 PM
And of course no kids are ever born before their due date.

If he wants to cover up to a few weeks early and obviously a few weeks late then he obviously won't play for at least month. Which is almost unheard of in professional sports.

Of course it could come down to zika and apathy.

MWWSI 2017