The Official Golf Thread

Started by laoislad, December 28, 2006, 07:07:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tony Baloney

Entirely understandable for a sportsman who is likely to want to start a family and where the Olympics is "a nice to have".

Greg Rutherford has apparently had some of his swimmers frozen just in case. I just hope the wife puts the right ice cubes in her G&T.

I'm here all week...

No wides

Quote from: yellowcard on June 22, 2016, 11:00:28 AM
Golf has no place in the Olympics anyway but Mc Ilroy looks daft for pulling out at this stage. It will create the impression of a pampered multi millionaire living a different world. There will be thousands of athletes desperate to compete in Rio but I suppose golfers in general are sedate human beings unaccustomed to the physical toughness needed to compete in most sports.

It's no surprise because deep down I don't believe it really means that much to him or indeed most top level sportsmen earning massive money.

I am sure Rory gives a flying one if you think he looks daft, why does he need to take any chances?

laoislad

Quote from: Tony Baloney on June 22, 2016, 01:33:37 PM
Entirely understandable for a sportsman who is likely to want to start a family and where the Olympics is "a nice to have".

True Tony very true indeed.
Though it is also a handy way out for any athlete who may not have wanted to actually play for a particular country and whose major sponsor may not have been too happy about seeing a player be dressed head to toe in another major clothing brands sports gear..

I'm not talking about any particular athlete ,country or sports brand of course...Just saying it would be a handy excuse if anyone did fall into the above category not that I can actually think of anyone who may fit that profile.
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

NAG1

Quote from: laoislad on June 22, 2016, 01:49:29 PM

Though it is also a handy way out for any athlete who may not have wanted to actually play for a particular country and whose major sponsor may not have been too happy about seeing a player be dressed head to toe in another major clothing brands sports gear..

I'm not talking about any particular athlete ,country or sports brand of course...Just saying it would be a handy excuse if anyone did fall into the above category not that I can actually think of anyone who may fit that profile.

Just call a spade a sapde LL there is no harm in it.

He wasnt keen from get go for a number of issues, nationality and sponsors being the main two factors.

The fact he has dropped in form is now another issue and the Zika thing is a really handy way of getting out of the obligation without having to be seen to piss any one off in particular.

laoislad

Quote from: NAG1 on June 22, 2016, 01:54:27 PM

He wasnt keen from get go for a number of issues, nationality and sponsors being the main two factors.

The fact he has dropped in form is now another issue and the Zika thing is a really handy way of getting out of the obligation without having to be seen to piss any one off in particular.

NAG1

Quote from: laoislad on June 22, 2016, 01:56:13 PM
Quote from: NAG1 on June 22, 2016, 01:54:27 PM

+1

AZOffaly

Is that not a shovel, surely? This is a spade.

laoislad

That's a fine looking spade alright AZ i'll give you that one.

Gabriel_Hurl

the way he's been putting lately - he could do with adding that to his golf bag

Dinny Breen

#newbridgeornowhere

laoislad

GMac or Harrington I presume.
Paul Dunne maybe?

AZOffaly

I dunno, but I'm warming up just in case. I'll bring a physical presence at least and frighten a few yanks and the like.

Dinny Breen

We already have Offaly choker quota filled. I like the cut of young Dunne although would be happy with Paddy.
#newbridgeornowhere

Shamrock Shore

It has been pointed out that Rory did a puff piece with the media recently on holiday in Barbados with the mot

Barbados has the same zika virus threat level as Brazil.

Just saying, like  ::)

Applesisapples

Whether he gives a flying fcuk or not is irrelevant. He has happily come through the ranks of the GUI funded by tax payers and clubs and members. Those people are entitled to an opinion. McIlroy makes no secret of his allegiances and good luck to him. I for one would much rather see Gmac playing. I do think though had Nike not turned down the Irish Olympic team it could have been a different story.