The Official Golf Thread

Started by laoislad, December 28, 2006, 07:07:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AZOffaly

I think he means the other gentleman. But I think ye are being harsh on him. It's obvious most golfers, Shane Lowry included, have no real grá for the olympics. It's a new competition, and they haven't grown up all their life looking to represent their country like that. Shane, with his background, would be slightly more au fait with representative team sports, and is obviously very a passionate supporter of all Irish and Offaly teams, so he may end up going, but I wouldn't be surprised if he pulled out too.

There is a fairly substantial list of golfers that have made themselves unavailable. In Rory's case there is the added 'ussuns, themmuns' factor which he is trying to tiptoe around all the time, but I'd be inclined to give him the benefit of the doubt. It would have been easier altogether for him to just opt out of representing anyone at the olympics years ago.

Gabriel_Hurl

Lowry talked about it a few weeks ago

http://www.irishtimes.com/sport/golf/shane-lowry-big-topic-is-zika-virus-and-the-olympics-1.2660777

QuoteI'm obviously doing something right because I've been moved upstairs to the elite locker room here at Wentworth for the BMW PGA Championship, which is one of my favourite weeks of the season.

I love the place and the tournament. But it doesn't matter where we are these days, whether we're at Augusta or Sawgrass or The K Club, there's no escaping one topic of conversation: the Zika virus and the Olympics.

Rory McIlroy saying what he said the other day is obviously not the first time I've been aware of the Zika virus. A number of golfers have already pulled out of the chance to compete at the Olympics – Adam Scott, Marc Leishman, Charl Schwartzel, Louis Oosthuizen – and I am sure there will be more.

I desperately want to go to the Olympics for Ireland. I am also a recently married man, and I have to learn a lot more about the virus. Obviously I really want to go, but there is a decision to be made. Can I or can't I go?

I am the one who has to make that call. I have to speak to the medical people from the European Tour, and I really need to go and speak to doctors back home. We're getting a lot of good information from the PGA Tour and the European Tour, a lot of emails popping into the inbox.

I need to ask some questions. How big a percentage is the risk? That's the really big one. I'm going to listen to the medical advice that comes my way, and, I'll be honest, I'm not going to take any chances.

It has been on my mind for a few months; players have been talking about it a lot, and we talk to each other week to week when we're out on tour.

It's not an ideal scenario to have on golf's return to the Olympics. Is it the pinnacle for golfers? I'm not sure. I think the Majors are probably the pinnacle. If I was a 800m or 200m runner there'd be no question about going because you've trained for four years, or even eight years in some cases, to get to the Olympics.

If there's a decision to be made – and the qualifying date I know is July 17th – then it is going to be a very tough decision if I can't go or if I don't feel like I can go.

yellowcard

Golf has no place in the Olympics anyway but Mc Ilroy looks daft for pulling out at this stage. It will create the impression of a pampered multi millionaire living a different world. There will be thousands of athletes desperate to compete in Rio but I suppose golfers in general are sedate human beings unaccustomed to the physical toughness needed to compete in most sports.

It's no surprise because deep down I don't believe it really means that much to him or indeed most top level sportsmen earning massive money. 

longballin

Muzz

Quote from: yellowcard on June 22, 2016, 11:00:28 AM
Golf has no place in the Olympics anyway but Mc Ilroy looks daft for pulling out at this stage. It will create the impression of a pampered multi millionaire living a different world. There will be thousands of athletes desperate to compete in Rio but I suppose golfers in general are sedate human beings unaccustomed to the physical toughness needed to compete in most sports.

It's no surprise because deep down I don't believe it really means that much to him or indeed most top level sportsmen earning massive money.

I think if you read the interview a few weeks back when he first mentioned his concern you'd know its not about him personally but that with being engaged and timelines as to when they want to start a family the risk is too high.

Boycey

There is a lot of talk about this virus around the golf tournament and not much talk of it for other sports. Obviously being in an outdoor rural environment for 6/7 hours a day hugely increases the potential for coming into contact with the mosquito in question...

It'll be interesting to see if the floodgates will open now with withdrawals now one of the biggest names has pulled out

yellowcard

Quote from: Muzz on June 22, 2016, 11:14:53 AM
Quote from: yellowcard on June 22, 2016, 11:00:28 AM

I think if you read the interview a few weeks back when he first mentioned his concern you'd know its not about him personally but that with being engaged and timelines as to when they want to start a family the risk is too high.

I'm sure there are plenty of other athletes with partners and families bursting a gut to compete in Rio. It's simply a different environment that these pro multi millionaires live in and the olympics is far from being the pinnacle of their sport for them. My point is that golf should never be in the Olympics in the first instance.

AZOffaly

Quote from: Boycey on June 22, 2016, 11:21:30 AM
There is a lot of talk about this virus around the golf tournament and not much talk of it for other sports. Obviously being in an outdoor rural environment for 6/7 hours a day hugely increases the potential for coming into contact with the mosquito in question...

It'll be interesting to see if the floodgates will open now with withdrawals now one of the biggest names has pulled out

Some big names have already pulled out. Adam Scott for one. Jason Day is strongly considering it.

Canalman

It and tennis should not be in the olympics.

Four majors every year the pinnacle in the game. Olympics ........... meh. Same with tennis.

AZOffaly

It's obvious the golf pros are far from blown away by the chance to appear at the olympics. I'd say it's a gold medal would be on a par (no pun intended) with winning an average PGA tour event. I doubt many at all would put it in the pantheon of events like the Majors or even the WGC events.

Maybe if it was only available to amateurs it might resonate more?

Boycey

Quote from: Canalman on June 22, 2016, 11:27:49 AM
It and tennis should not be in the olympics.

Four majors every year the pinnacle in the game. Olympics ........... meh. Same with tennis.

The list of sports that shouldn't be in the Olympics is probably longer than the ones that should be in it at this stage.

Applesisapples

He plays golf and lives in Florida for chrissakes, just an excuse. if it had been OWC he'd be chomping at the bit.

Milltown Row2

The only ones that made a fuss were the ones that complained about him taking another Irishman's place on the team...now that he's pulled out they still complain, dammed if you do dammed if you don't...
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Hound

Seems to be suggestions that if a bloke gets the virus he could transmit it sexually. That's understandly a gamechanger for the likes of Rory, if true.