The Official Golf Thread

Started by laoislad, December 28, 2006, 07:07:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JPGJOHNNYG

Gmacs form has fallen off a cliff this year so great to see him bounce back. Big year ahead with added fun of potential olympics and ryder cup

Orior

Quote from: thebigfella on October 14, 2015, 03:49:19 PM
Quote from: lenny on October 14, 2015, 03:44:55 PM
Quote from: Puckoon on October 14, 2015, 02:38:26 PM
Quote from: sammymaguire on October 08, 2015, 10:25:47 AM
Wondering if someone can help me on these...

Q1. When playing stroke play, player tees off, ball goes into trees & bushes, hits a provisional. Walks down to provisional which is roughly in line with lost ball, doesn't look for lost ball, hits provisional, tops it, then hits again lands short of the green, then decides to look for lost ball, finds it within 5 minutes of beginning to look for it, plays it and finishes off hole with a 6. Is there a penalty for playing the hole like this? Its arguable whether the provisional was past the lost ball when he hit it as he was the only chap who looked for the lost ball...

Q2. In stroke play, player tees off, hits what looks like a safe tee shot, cant find ball. Players on tee box so after looking 5 mins for the ball, drops and plays out hole getting a 6 including the 1 shot penalty. What is the penalty for playing the hole like this?

cheers

The answers below are pretty accurate.

1. Provisional ball can be played until it advances past the area where the original landed

2. Stroke play, player cannot sign for an accurate scorecard, as the 6 on the hold described is not an accurate score. Should be a disqualification. Always always always hit a f-ing provisional. There is no downside to hitting one and it is your right. I'll hit one if think there's a chance I can't find the original. If I find the first one, at least I got a free swing in to work something out. If I've lost the first one, I don't have to search for 5 minutes then pull the walk of shame.

You don't always play a provisional. If it is known or it is virtually certain that the ball is within the margins of a water hazard (or lateral water hazard) then the player may not play a provisional ball. The reason for this is that the relief options for a ball lost in a water hazard (Rule 26-1a) are significantly more advantageous than those for a ball that is lost or out of bounds Rule 27-1).

You can have a local rule that allows you to play one.

Well done GMac. Could McIlroy make it a double next week?

By the way, there are some boys in my club will penalise you if you dont actually say that you are playing a provisional. They're right of course.
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

Gmac

Quote from: screenexile on November 16, 2015, 04:08:28 PM
Quote from: Puckoon on November 16, 2015, 04:01:58 PM
GMAC back on the podium after a long absence!

Great to see and it took a lot of heart to do it... he had a dodgy approach on 18 and managed to get up and down and then the approach for the playoff was absolutely perfect. Great stuff!!!
thanks guys great to be back up there

laoislad

Lowry and GMac for the Olympics.
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

DrinkingHarp

Some match going on between Rory and Sullivan at the Jumeirah.

Gaaboard Predict The World Cup Champion 2014

BarryBreensBandage

Quote from: DrinkingHarp on November 22, 2015, 09:18:20 AM
Some match going on between Rory and Sullivan at the Jumeirah.

What a putt by McIlroy - all to play for on the last.
"Some people say I am indecisive..... maybe I am, maybe I'm not".

Milltown Row2

What is Rory's ranking be after that today? Are there other ranking tournaments before end of year??
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Applesisapples

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on November 22, 2015, 08:47:26 PM
What is Rory's ranking be after that today? Are there other ranking tournaments before end of year??
3rd

Orior

Quote from: Applesisapples on November 23, 2015, 09:30:23 AM
3rd

I played Ardglass yesterday - very enjoyable. One birdie, six pars and the rest total nonsense. So my World Ranking is still 29,897,672
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Orior on November 23, 2015, 09:42:16 PM
Quote from: Applesisapples on November 23, 2015, 09:30:23 AM
3rd

I played Ardglass yesterday - very enjoyable. One birdie, six pars and the rest total nonsense. So my World Ranking is still 29,897,672

Played it once before, fantastic golf course... Parr'd the hardest hole.. Was pretty crap every other hole though!!
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Puckoon

After playing worse than ass for the best part of this year, considering quitting the club and the game - I finally threw a decent round together yesterday. Was a nice feeling. Then got pished and won a few hundred bucks playing dice.

laoislad

Quote from: Puckoon on November 23, 2015, 11:31:47 PM
After playing worse than ass for the best part of this year, considering quitting the club and the game - I finally threw a decent round together yesterday. Was a nice feeling. Then got pished and won a few hundred bucks playing dice.
I envy your rock and roll lifestyle.
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

Applesisapples

OK lets try this again in the right thread this time. I'm off to Orlando next year any recommendations on good courses that don't cost the earth when you take club hire into account? Any good apps?

JPGJOHNNYG

Puckoon

Quote from: Applesisapples on December 02, 2015, 04:43:57 PM
OK lets try this again in the right thread this time. I'm off to Orlando next year any recommendations on good courses that don't cost the earth when you take club hire into account? Any good apps?

Go to golfwrx.com and search the travel section. Should have some reasonable responses. Golf now.com is a good app.