The Official Golf Thread

Started by laoislad, December 28, 2006, 07:07:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AZOffaly

Lads, I'm typically playing once or twice a year, with all the football, kids, work and other commitments. I'm playing a GAA classic on Saturday as a non GUI member and I need to give them a handicap. I've played twice this year, shot 87 on a SS 72 in Castletroy, and last week I played 16 holes and was on course for an 89 if I bogeyed the last two holes on a SS 70 in Birr.

What would a realistic handicap for me be? I'm thinking 18?

I should mention, there is a specific competition for non GUI handicaps, I'm not making one up illegaly to play against GUI members :)

laoislad

Anytime I've played in a Classic or whatever I've always been given a handicap of 18.
I dunno if this is the norm for those that don't have official handicaps but thats been my experience.
My scores would be similar to yours.
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

thebigfella

Quote from: AZOffaly on September 24, 2015, 01:51:58 PM
Lads, I'm typically playing once or twice a year, with all the football, kids, work and other commitments. I'm playing a GAA classic on Saturday as a non GUI member and I need to give them a handicap. I've played twice this year, shot 87 on a SS 72 in Castletroy, and last week I played 16 holes and was on course for an 89 if I bogeyed the last two holes on a SS 70 in Birr.

What would a realistic handicap for me be? I'm thinking 18?

I should mention, there is a specific competition for non GUI handicaps, I'm not making one up illegaly to play against GUI members :)

If you had another scorecard and were calculating an offical GUI; you take the lowest card adjusting so that the highest score on any hole is a double first. Assuming your 87 was the lowest and had nothing higher than double, then 15 would be the highest you would be entitled to. Now no handicap secretary would allocate that as then tend to err on the side of caution due to the potential to improve (especially at your level). So I'd say 13/13.5 (14 in this case) would be fair.

If you nominate 18, your being dishonest as you clearly shoot better than this and the handicap system is not designed for a player to always shoot 36 points every time.

AZOffaly

Boycey

Quote from: AZOffaly on September 24, 2015, 02:13:54 PM
14!!! Go away outta that.

General run of them things would be that you would get 18 and from what you have told us u wouldn't be that far off at that...

thebigfella

I've played in a few of these classics this year and it's pathetic when you see people giving themselves artificially inflated handicaps just to win a prize. The only person they are fooling is themselves.

14 is probably about right if not a little generous. 2 rounds this year and you in around 15 - 18 range so potentially you have the game to shoot way better.  You can play of whatever you like but that depends on how desperate you are to win  :P

Declan

Quote14!!! Go away outta that.

I've seen him play and he's a certified bandito ;) ;) ;) ;)

Milltown Row2

Quote from: thebigfella on September 24, 2015, 03:12:25 PM

I've played in a few of these classics this year and it's pathetic when you see people giving themselves artificially inflated handicaps just to win a prize. The only person they are fooling is themselves.

14 is probably about right if not a little generous. 2 rounds this year and you in around 15 - 18 range so potentially you have the game to shoot way better.  You can play of whatever you like but that depends on how desperate you are to win  :P

What handicap do you get if you don't play any golf?
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

thebigfella

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on September 24, 2015, 03:33:46 PM

What handicap do you get if you don't play any golf?

In this case it's up to the player to be honest about their ability and what they mean by not playing any golf; unlike official handicaps where you submit 3 cards and it's based of them.

I'd give the max (28) to someone who has never played. Very unlikely they would shoot to that in their 1st ever round. If they do, then unlikely they'll win and anything lower they deserve a prize.

Applesisapples

I would have said 16 would be on the mark, maybe 17

AZOffaly

Certainly not going to inflate to get myself a prize. Wouldn't be worth it. However, there's no way on earth I would consider myself a 14 handicapper!

Orior

Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

Applesisapples

Quote from: Orior on September 24, 2015, 04:17:29 PM
Quote from: Franko on September 24, 2015, 01:39:01 PM
Quote from: Hardy on September 24, 2015, 01:21:16 PM
Ah God! That's awful.

+1

God dammit! That was a brand new golf ball which I lost.
That's my default shot off the first tee every Saturday, OB, always use a find.

thebigfella

Quote from: AZOffaly on September 24, 2015, 04:13:47 PM

Certainly not going to inflate to get myself a prize. Wouldn't be worth it. However, there's no way on earth I would consider myself a 14 handicapper!

If you follow the rules and guidelines set out by the GUI (taking into consideration you have only 2 rounds to go from rather than 3) on allocating handicaps, you are definitely no more than 15 anyway.

Your probably well able to shoot to 15 on your day and would argue with some practice more. 14 is very realistic handicap irrespective of what you consider you are  :D