The Official Golf Thread

Started by laoislad, December 28, 2006, 07:07:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

laoislad

Lowry keeps playing like that he should make the Ryder Cup team.
Will be interesting to see how he gets on next week at the PGA.
It will be hard not to celebrate winning tonight but with a big major next week he'll have to take it handy enough I'd guess.
Did anyone else think they called him Sean coming up the 18th?
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

AZOffaly

They did. I smiled. I'm sure his uncle appreciated it 😃  but sure Shane is Sean in Irish anyway so well done announcer.

BluestackBoy

Quote from: laoislad on August 09, 2015, 10:59:30 PM
True Irishman would be great to see him representing us at the Olympics,rather than someone that took two years to decide if he wanted to play for Ireland or not....

And the w**ker of the week award goes to ......laoislad
For what shall it profit a man if he gains the whole world & loses his soul.

Hardy

Fantastic. Had to go out as Shane was playing the 16th. Followed it by watching the leaderboard after that. No idea how dramatic it was until I came in and read the end of this thread.

laoislad

Quote from: BluestackBoy on August 10, 2015, 12:06:05 AM
True Irishman would be great to see him representing us at the Olympics,rather than someone that took two years to decide if he wanted to play for Ireland or not....

Ahh jeez..thanks.
We Laois men don't win very much so we'll take anything
I'd like to dedicate this award to Orior.

Boycey

Pathetic..

laoislad

Orior

Quote from: laoislad on August 10, 2015, 12:28:43 AM
Quote from: BluestackBoy on August 10, 2015, 12:06:05 AM

Ahh jeez..thanks.
We Laois men don't win very much so we'll take anything
I'd like to dedicate this award to Orior.

I'm honoured.
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

AZOffaly

Quote from: laoislad on August 10, 2015, 07:35:11 AM
This is class
http://www.golfcentraldaily.com/2015/08/video-esker-hills-members-go-berserk.html

It's surreal. And what a story. His brother wins one of the most prestigious amateur events in Ireland last week, and Shane tweets out that he'd nearly rather be in Mullingar than on his way to Ohio, and then when the organised party to celebrate Alan's win is going on in Esker Hills, big brother is winning a fecking WGC event on the telly they are all watching in the corner. It's nuts.

And then this morning to look at the world rankings and see his name at 19 in the world rankings and ahead of lads like Phil Mickelson, Ernie Els and Tiger Woods. Crazy stuff. I'm so happy for his family, I know Brendy and Bridgie supported him in the early days, and it wasn't easy. By Jaysus they are getting rewarded now and it's great to see. Some Family in fairness. 3 brothers win All Irelands on the same day in 1982, both sons of Brendy then become great amateur golfers, and Shane goes on to win a WGC event and be 19 in the world with hopefully more to come.

What a story.

brokencrossbar1

Quote from: AZOffaly on August 10, 2015, 10:13:47 AM
This is class
http://www.golfcentraldaily.com/2015/08/video-esker-hills-members-go-berserk.html

It's surreal. And what a story. His brother wins one of the most prestigious amateur events in Ireland last week, and Shane tweets out that he'd nearly rather be in Mullingar than on his way to Ohio, and then when the organised party to celebrate Alan's win is going on in Esker Hills, big brother is winning a fecking WGC event on the telly they are all watching in the corner. It's nuts.

And then this morning to look at the world rankings and see his name at 19 in the world rankings and ahead of lads like Phil Mickelson, Ernie Els and Tiger Woods. Crazy stuff. I'm so happy for his family, I know Brendy and Bridgie supported him in the early days, and it wasn't easy. By Jaysus they are getting rewarded now and it's great to see. Some Family in fairness. 3 brothers win All Irelands on the same day in 1982, both sons of Brendy then become great amateur golfers, and Shane goes on to win a WGC event and be 19 in the world with hopefully more to come.

What a story.

Not bad for a family of BIFFs... :P  Only teasing,  fantastic achievement and shows that for such a small nation we have some serious talent...time to start the BCs on the golfing thing,  I need looked after in my old age!

Tony Baloney

Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on August 10, 2015, 10:58:32 AM
Quote from: AZOffaly on August 10, 2015, 10:13:47 AM
This is class

What a story.

Not bad for a family of BIFFs... :P  Only teasing,  fantastic achievement and shows that for such a small nation we have some serious talent...time to start the BCs on the golfing thing,  I need looked after in my old age!
Coke on you're a Cross man. There must still be money in dayshel and cigarettes.

screenexile

Jaysus... is there anything more quintessentially Offaly than this man!!

Look at the Biffo head on him!!!

I don't know why but this makes me very happy best of luck to him he's not an asses roar away from a win this weekend either and the fact he'll not be around all the hype at home will definitely help him!

AZOffaly

That's the thing. I don't know Padraig Harrington or Paul McGinley or Rory McIlroy or Graeme McDowell or Darren Clarke. I know very little about their families or whatever, other than little snippets about GAA backgrounds of McGinley and Harrington. But it's remote to me.

With Lowry it's a bit mad because I know his family. I'm friends with his cousins and uncles. I played with his father before Brendy finished up with Ferbane. I played against his Scanlon uncles on the Clara side. I remember him as a small lad on the field in Clara or Ferbane as games were going on. It's mentally mind blowing for me to see him where he is today. I hope he's there for a long time and improves to be one of the genuinely top golfers in the world, and if that happens I'm sure I'll get used to it. But this lad is one of us, just like any of the rest of us. His heroes play for Offaly. He has brilliant talent, has worked very hard, and his family have supported him. But his background and his story are so familiar to all of us that this just feels different to me.

I was nearly in tears last night watching it. But that could be just the thoughts of a Clara fecker getting 1.5 miillion squids for pucking a ball around :)

laoislad

Last time I got as excited watching the end of a Golf tournament was when Harrington won his last major or indeed when Lowry won the Irish Open.
That was just fantastic last night. He certainly made it hard for himself though, but all the saves he made only added to the excitement. Then to birdie the last...just wow.

INDIANA

Quote from: AZOffaly on August 10, 2015, 11:18:16 AM
That's the thing. I don't know Padraig Harrington or Paul McGinley or Rory McIlroy or Graeme McDowell or Darren Clarke. I know very little about their families or whatever, other than little snippets about GAA backgrounds of McGinley and Harrington. But it's remote to me.

With Lowry it's a bit mad because I know his family. I'm friends with his cousins and uncles. I played with his father before Brendy finished up with Ferbane. I played against his Scanlon uncles on the Clara side. I remember him as a small lad on the field in Clara or Ferbane as games were going on. It's mentally mind blowing for me to see him where he is today. I hope he's there for a long time and improves to be one of the genuinely top golfers in the world, and if that happens I'm sure I'll get used to it. But this lad is one of us, just like any of the rest of us. His heroes play for Offaly. He has brilliant talent, has worked very hard, and his family have supported him. But his background and his story are so familiar to all of us that this just feels different to me.

I was nearly in tears last night watching it. But that could be just the thoughts of a Clara fecker getting 1.5 miillion squids for pucking a ball around :)

Met him in Town over christmas and I have to say he was a lovely fella. Just an ordinary decent chap. He was with Dermot Earley and he was having a few drinks. But anyone who came over to him he was a gent.

He's had many references made to the fact that he's not a chiselled athlete. But golf is the one sport that takes all forms.