The Official Golf Thread

Started by laoislad, December 28, 2006, 07:07:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

screenexile

Alliss getting some amount of grief for the "Buy a new kitchen" quip the other day. Was it really that bad?

Jesus the uproar is way over the top as far as I can see. It'll be a pity the Open moving to Sky next year as I really enjoy Brown and Cotter I think they're excellent and would do well in Sky's commentary!

Applesisapples

Quote from: gallsman on July 21, 2015, 05:14:02 PM
Quote from: Applesisapples on July 21, 2015, 04:42:25 PM
What overkill on Peter Alliss' quip about Jackson's wife wanting a new kitchen, it was a humorous aside people need to cop on.

No, it's absolutely right that he's getting slated for it. I think I recall comments about Harrington being likely to fill trophies with stout that I found in no way humorous at all.
Bollocks, I watched a programme about him where one contributor said that if he said such things on Have I Got News for You then everyone would laugh and that would be it. He adds humorous quips some of which, and this being one are quite sharp for a man his age. even the quip about Dunnes mum was funny, not PC, but the world has gone pc mad.

Gabriel_Hurl

This might be as close that McDowell gets to the Olympic Golf trophy

laoislad

Why would they have a trophy? Does any other Olympic event have a trophy?
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

Gabriel_Hurl

It's the old trophy that was presented to the winner in 1904. A Canadian was the last to win it - the PGA are playing at the home of the Canadian Golf Hall of Fame - so they have it out this week ahead of next years event.

laoislad

:D :D

Robert Allenby sacks caddie mid round at the Canadian Open
A spectator ends up carrying his bag for him..! Wasn't you Gab was it?

http://www.golf.com/tour-and-news/pga-tour-star-fires-caddie-mid-round-fan-carries-bag?xid=golf_social

Gabriel_Hurl

Not me - I'm not going until Saturday

Looks like I won't be seeing GMac around

Orior

Quote from: laoislad on July 23, 2015, 10:48:24 PM
:D :D

Robert Allenby sacks caddie mid round at the Canadian Open
A spectator ends up carrying his bag for him..! Wasn't you Gab was it?

http://www.golf.com/tour-and-news/pga-tour-star-fires-caddie-mid-round-fan-carries-bag?xid=golf_social

Golf needs more characters like Allenby. I like the way he blames everyone except himself.
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

Gabriel_Hurl

So LL - they had this flag at the Canadian Open on Saturday for McDowell  ;D

laoislad

Quote from: Gabriel_Hurl on July 27, 2015, 01:14:42 PM
So LL - they had this flag at the Canadian Open on Saturday for McDowell  ;D

And?

50fiftyball

I'll happily admit - I'm completely clueless when it comes to Golf. I've only ever messed about small courses with friends when I was in my teens, never went for a proper game in my life, have no patience for it.

Suggestions for a beginner - get lessons with a "good" coach at a local club etc?

screenexile

Quote from: 50fiftyball on July 27, 2015, 01:51:46 PM
I'll happily admit - I'm completely clueless when it comes to Golf. I've only ever messed about small courses with friends when I was in my teens, never went for a proper game in my life, have no patience for it.

Suggestions for a beginner - get lessons with a "good" coach at a local club etc?

Short game short game short game short game!!

That about covers it!

Seriously though yeah you should get lessons but in my experience of learning this past year if you have a decent short game you'll get your handicap down... hitting a long drive isn't worth anything!!

Franko

Quote from: screenexile on July 27, 2015, 03:13:09 PM
Quote from: 50fiftyball on July 27, 2015, 01:51:46 PM

Short game short game short game short game!!

That about covers it!

Seriously though yeah you should get lessons but in my experience of learning this past year if you have a decent short game you'll get your handicap down... hitting a long drive isn't worth anything!!

I'd say to emphasise straightness and direction off the tee before your short game.  It's not much use being the best chipper and putter around if you've had to hit 3 off the tee and put your fourth shot in the hedge.  For now, get it reasonably straight and forget about distance.  You'll still be in and around the area of the green in two on most par 4's and on the longer ones you should only need a short wedge to bring you in.  Short and straight beats long and erratic every day.

Orior

That's good advice Franko. I would add that you should get your grip and stance right as well. If those are wrong then you are in trouble even before you have hit a ball
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

Gabriel_Hurl