The Official Golf Thread

Started by laoislad, December 28, 2006, 07:07:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

beer baron

Quote from: JPGJOHNNYG on July 07, 2015, 09:15:28 AM
Quote from: JoG2 on July 07, 2015, 09:08:44 AM
Quote from: JPGJOHNNYG on July 07, 2015, 08:06:27 AM
Tiger Woods won the Us Open on one leg and even Harrington won his second open nursing an injured wrist but realistically McIlroy is in a race to be fit for the US PGA nevermind the Open. I stand by what I said earlier that it was foolish. He is loaded so he doesnt need any more money from golf so just like Tiger before him his goal is to bag as many majors as possible. The Masters is in April the PGA is in August with the Open and Us Open in between that means he has just over 4 mths to be on top of his game. Thats leaves him just shy of 8 months to be a bit more care free in his spare time, feck the fed ex and all the other crap he doesnt need the money and no-one will ever remember who won what pga event 2 weeks later. Throw into the mix that St Andrews is a course that he loves and bar one meltdown round in 2010 has always scored in the 60's so it is a massive missed opportunity. Sponsors are probably also less than amused.

I'd disagree. You have to down tools whatever your profession. You could get injured doing pretty much anything, at anytime. Its a bummer for him surely, but that's life. He'll recover and maybe come back stronger after a prolonged rest

I hope your right. On another point am I the only one who dislikes Speith. He is billed as the golden boy but there is something about his manner on the course that I dont like. With Rory out maybe Lowry can continue with his US Open form and challenge for the titile.

Don't think i'd go as far as to say i dislike him but i definitely don't get the love in for him at all, just find him bland.
Can't see him winning the grand slam, his putting seems to be the best around but other than that there are a number of players ahead of him that could do enough to not have his putting save him enough.
Didn't get to see the last round on Sunday but Kaymer looked to be getting back into his groove the weekend,if he's back on form he's a threat to everyone next week(although i like him so am biased)

Orior

I don't like Spieth because he is gonna take over our Rory's crown. He seems a nice enough bloke.
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

screenexile

Quote from: beer baron on July 08, 2015, 11:22:12 AM
Tiger Woods won the Us Open on one leg and even Harrington won his second open nursing an injured wrist but realistically McIlroy is in a race to be fit for the US PGA nevermind the Open. I stand by what I said earlier that it was foolish. He is loaded so he doesnt need any more money from golf so just like Tiger before him his goal is to bag as many majors as possible. The Masters is in April the PGA is in August with the Open and Us Open in between that means he has just over 4 mths to be on top of his game. Thats leaves him just shy of 8 months to be a bit more care free in his spare time, feck the fed ex and all the other crap he doesnt need the money and no-one will ever remember who won what pga event 2 weeks later. Throw into the mix that St Andrews is a course that he loves and bar one meltdown round in 2010 has always scored in the 60's so it is a massive missed opportunity. Sponsors are probably also less than amused.

I'd disagree. You have to down tools whatever your profession. You could get injured doing pretty much anything, at anytime. Its a bummer for him surely, but that's life. He'll recover and maybe come back stronger after a prolonged rest

I hope your right. On another point am I the only one who dislikes Speith. He is billed as the golden boy but there is something about his manner on the course that I dont like. With Rory out maybe Lowry can continue with his US Open form and challenge for the titile.

Don't think i'd go as far as to say i dislike him but i definitely don't get the love in for him at all, just find him bland.
Can't see him winning the grand slam, his putting seems to be the best around but other than that there are a number of players ahead of him that could do enough to not have his putting save him enough.
Didn't get to see the last round on Sunday but Kaymer looked to be getting back into his groove the weekend,if he's back on form he's a threat to everyone next week(although i like him so am biased)

Would Kaymer not be just as bland as Spieth?

I can't see Spieth doing the Grand Slam nobody before him has ever done it and I can't see it happening anytime soon. He's a real challenger to McIlroy though over the next 15-20 years if he can keep his putting at the level it's currently at. If McIlroy had Spieth's putting ability he would have won at least 3-4  more majors. . . You can get away with not being long and not having the best approach play but putting trumps everything i reckon.

Hardy

People criticising golfers for being bland! What next - ban Marty Morrissey for being annoying?

beer baron

Quote from: screenexile on July 08, 2015, 12:05:15 PM
Quote from: beer baron on July 08, 2015, 11:22:12 AM

Would Kaymer not be just as bland as Spieth?

I can't see Spieth doing the Grand Slam nobody before him has ever done it and I can't see it happening anytime soon. He's a real challenger to McIlroy though over the next 15-20 years if he can keep his putting at the level it's currently at. If McIlroy had Spieth's putting ability he would have won at least 3-4  more majors. . . You can get away with not being long and not having the best approach play but putting trumps everything i reckon.

He probably is but like i said i'm biased,the man's won me plenty of money in my time so hard not to like him  ;D

beer baron

Quote from: Hardy on July 08, 2015, 12:16:22 PM
People criticising golfers for being bland! What next - ban Marty Morrissey for being annoying?

I "don't get the love in" isn't much of a criticism really.

screenexile

Disappointing as there's no doubt it will take away some of the excitement from the tournament. There was a great buzz around the Final US Open when McIlroy made his charge and it's a shame we won't see it next weekend.

Having said that the rest of the big names are still there and it will be interesting to see how they fare. Indeed I wonder what the weather will be like? It will still be a great tournament!

Orior

Quote from: laoislad on July 10, 2015, 05:27:11 PM
Paige Renee Spiranac.
That is all.

For a tosser, you do make the odd good post, lol

screenexile

Is anyone gonna touch Spieth next week in that type of form?? Serious serious operator and so consistent!!

beer baron

Quote from: screenexile on July 12, 2015, 05:59:23 PM
Is anyone gonna touch Spieth next week in that type of form?? Serious serious operator and so consistent!!

Fowler winning over in Scotland in arguably a stronger field in what i expected to be a prep,he'll give him a run.

Gabriel_Hurl

Fowler had a good win himself

offtheground

New togs required for Zach Johnson... Someone let an air blaster off as he was putting on the 16th!

Orior

Was it Foghorn Leghorn? I think he is from Illinois

Gabriel_Hurl

Big DJ and Speith paired together for the first two rounds this week

http://www.theopen.com/TeeTimes#!/R1