The Official Golf Thread

Started by laoislad, December 28, 2006, 07:07:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ballinaman

I wouldn't rule him out just yet. Taping/bracing can be very effective. If it was a multi directional sport or one that involves jumping and landing, I would say he'd be gone. Although his left ankle will take huge load during drives, the fact that it's planted and movement is quite small within the ankle, he could make it with taping/bracing.
Not all ruptures are the same, as with capsule damage so you won't know what he's like until the swelling goes down.
Wouldn't rule him out yet though of the open.

Orior

Quote from: laoislad on July 06, 2015, 01:22:40 PM
Hope he does as much for the Irish Open when it returns to Ireland next year.

Very funny indeed!
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

Orior

Quote from: ballinaman on July 06, 2015, 01:32:24 PM
I wouldn't rule him out just yet. Taping/bracing can be very effective. If it was a multi directional sport or one that involves jumping and landing, I would say he'd be gone. Although his left ankle will take huge load during drives, the fact that it's planted and movement is quite small within the ankle, he could make it with taping/bracing.
Not all ruptures are the same, as with capsule damage so you won't know what he's like until the swelling goes down.

Even if he is match fit, is he 'game' ready? He wont have played a competitive golf since the US Open.

Anyway, one should always be wary of the injured golfer. I was bate last week in a fourball match and one of my opponents had pulled a muscle in the neck/shoulder. The fecker played brilliantly

ballinaman

Quote from: Orior on July 06, 2015, 01:53:46 PM
Quote from: ballinaman on July 06, 2015, 01:32:24 PM

Even if he is match fit, is he 'game' ready? He wont have played a competitive golf since the US Open.

Anyway, one should always be wary of the injured golfer. I was bate last week in a fourball match and one of my opponents had pulled a muscle in the neck/shoulder. The fecker played brilliantly
Aye, he definitely won't be 100%. Even with taping or bracing, it's bound to have some affect on his natural biomechanics and even a small change there can make a massive difference at such an elite level where the margins are tiny.
I still wouldn't be shocked to see him play though.

JPGJOHNNYG

Tiger Woods won the Us Open on one leg and even Harrington won his second open nursing an injured wrist but realistically McIlroy is in a race to be fit for the US PGA nevermind the Open. I stand by what I said earlier that it was foolish. He is loaded so he doesnt need any more money from golf so just like Tiger before him his goal is to bag as many majors as possible. The Masters is in April the PGA is in August with the Open and Us Open in between that means he has just over 4 mths to be on top of his game. Thats leaves him just shy of 8 months to be a bit more care free in his spare time, feck the fed ex and all the other crap he doesnt need the money and no-one will ever remember who won what pga event 2 weeks later. Throw into the mix that St Andrews is a course that he loves and bar one meltdown round in 2010 has always scored in the 60's so it is a massive missed opportunity. Sponsors are probably also less than amused.

Walter Cronc

Quote from: laoislad on July 06, 2015, 01:22:40 PM
Hope he does as much for the Irish Open when it returns to Ireland next year.

Up Antrim!

JoG2

Quote from: JPGJOHNNYG on July 07, 2015, 08:06:27 AM
Tiger Woods won the Us Open on one leg and even Harrington won his second open nursing an injured wrist but realistically McIlroy is in a race to be fit for the US PGA nevermind the Open. I stand by what I said earlier that it was foolish. He is loaded so he doesnt need any more money from golf so just like Tiger before him his goal is to bag as many majors as possible. The Masters is in April the PGA is in August with the Open and Us Open in between that means he has just over 4 mths to be on top of his game. Thats leaves him just shy of 8 months to be a bit more care free in his spare time, feck the fed ex and all the other crap he doesnt need the money and no-one will ever remember who won what pga event 2 weeks later. Throw into the mix that St Andrews is a course that he loves and bar one meltdown round in 2010 has always scored in the 60's so it is a massive missed opportunity. Sponsors are probably also less than amused.

I'd disagree. You have to down tools whatever your profession. You could get injured doing pretty much anything, at anytime. Its a bummer for him surely, but that's life. He'll recover and maybe come back stronger after a prolonged rest

JPGJOHNNYG

Quote from: JoG2 on July 07, 2015, 09:08:44 AM

I'd disagree. You have to down tools whatever your profession. You could get injured doing pretty much anything, at anytime. Its a bummer for him surely, but that's life. He'll recover and maybe come back stronger after a prolonged rest

I hope your right. On another point am I the only one who dislikes Speith. He is billed as the golden boy but there is something about his manner on the course that I dont like. With Rory out maybe Lowry can continue with his US Open form and challenge for the titile.

Orior

Some people even chastised him for calling it soccer.

pullhard

Anyone fancy jordan spieth for the hat trick? few bob on adam scott e/w

screenexile

Quote from: pullhard on July 07, 2015, 10:32:32 AM
Anyone fancy jordan spieth for the hat trick? few bob on adam scott e/w

Done him straight to win. He's so steady and with him coping so well with the links the last day he's hard to go past.

Having said that someone like Phil or Scott possibly DJ could tear the course up and leave Spieth behind. It'll still be interesting even without McIlroy.

Puckoon

Quote from: JPGJOHNNYG on July 07, 2015, 09:15:28 AM
Quote from: JoG2 on July 07, 2015, 09:08:44 AM

I hope your right. On another point am I the only one who dislikes Speith. He is billed as the golden boy but there is something about his manner on the course that I dont like. With Rory out maybe Lowry can continue with his US Open form and challenge for the titile.

What is it? He appears to be pretty vanilla out there. What has you riled up about him? I think he is certainly billed as the golden boy, or do you think it's only a matter of time before he helicopters a 3 iron into a lake or breaks a wedge?

stew

Quote from: JPGJOHNNYG on July 06, 2015, 11:11:20 AM
One moment he looks like the complete professional next minute he comes across a bit silly. I mean why is he playing football a couple of weeks before a major what next off skiing the day before the masters. Was anyone surprised that he completely collapsed at the Irish open seeing as he was running around the whole week like a headless chicken doing a million one different things other than focussing on his golf

The man loves his football and Man United in particular, he is entitled to play football whenever he wants because he has a life outside of golf, people that are ripping on him for this need to get some perspective! He has all the money he needs and he could have done this tripping off a curb or falling down the stairs, these lads crave normalcy sometimes and I hope he plays in the British Open and wins the thing!
Armagh, the one true love of a mans life.

Old yeller

Quote from: stew on July 07, 2015, 07:30:46 PM
One moment he looks like the complete professional next minute he comes across a bit silly. I mean why is he playing football a couple of weeks before a major what next off skiing the day before the masters. Was anyone surprised that he completely collapsed at the Irish open seeing as he was running around the whole week like a headless chicken doing a million one different things other than focussing on his golf

The man loves his football and Man United in particular, he is entitled to play football whenever he wants because he has a life outside of golf, people that are ripping on him for this need to get some perspective! He has all the money he needs and he could have done this tripping off a curb or falling down the stairs, these lads crave normalcy sometimes and I hope he plays in the British Open and wins the thing!

It was an accident,  it happens. Should soccer players not train in case they get injured?

JPGJOHNNYG

Quote from: Old yeller on July 08, 2015, 08:58:09 AM
Quote from: stew on July 07, 2015, 07:30:46 PM

It was an accident,  it happens. Should soccer players not train in case they get injured?

I dont want to keep repeating myself and I seriously hope he makes a miraculous recovery to play in the Open but the reality is yes it was an accident but yes it was completely avoidable.
If Rory injured himself on the range then you would have a point but he didnt. You actually mentioned footballers get injured training just as they do playing for real just to prove that football is actually a bit more risky than walking down the street contrary to the rubbish that gets repeated here.
I already mentioned that this is a very important time of the year but only last 4 months. Consider also that Rory has one of the best fitness trainers in the world pushing him to the limits to get that extra 1%, He is probably watching everything he eats too and I wouldnt be surprised if he had a sports psychologist as well all just to put him ahead of the field. When you consider all that it makes the kick about seem even more dumb. Im only being harsh on him because he is the world number one. If you told me Darren Clarke was missing the Open because he broke his arm falling off a bar stool then we would all be having a laugh about it.