The Official Golf Thread

Started by laoislad, December 28, 2006, 07:07:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gabriel_Hurl

this is how they are signifying the difference between the fairways and greens this weekend - with white dots

Mikhailov

As usual have done a plethora of bets in a major.

Have done Mickleson (but I don't like him) as he is due and listening to his interview on golf channel last week he says he done his homework on this course.

Also done Stenson, Matsuyama, Koepka, Walker and Ryan Palmer as an outsider.

Minder

Looks like big DJ is gonna lead those that have backed him down the garden path. Wouldn't trust him with a ten shot lead on Sunday
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

mouview

Bloody horrible golf course; featureless, characterless and the greens look like stale pancakes.

screenexile

God its hard to watch Tiger like this its like a completely different person!

Oosthuisen and Fowler gone, big Lowry going great guns so far!! Spieth and Rose going steady it should suit them better tomorrow being out in the morning!

Orior

There is a strong chance that Lowry will be the only Irishman playing at the weekend.
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

laoislad

No mention of our Rors??
Nrico and Gab are usually good for the Rors updates...
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

offtheground

Quote from: mouview on June 18, 2015, 11:14:49 PM
Bloody horrible golf course; featureless, characterless and the greens look like stale pancakes.

agree 100% - its as if everyone - players and pundits are afraid to say it. Never mind corruption in FIFA and back-handers for worldcup bids, who voted for this place? I understand the will to get the US open to the North West, but surely there are better courses than this? I don't really care about the colour of the greens, but the surface is rubbish. There's no skill involved putting on a bad surface, the winter greens at my local clubs were better ffs.
That said, there are a few things i do like about Chambers Bay - I really like the idea of the non-level tee boxes that have the players thinking about how to use it to shape shots. I also like that spectators are restricted well back from most of the holes..

cockahoop

Quote from: offtheground on June 19, 2015, 11:02:56 AM

agree 100% - its as if everyone - players and pundits are afraid to say it. Never mind corruption in FIFA and back-handers for worldcup bids, who voted for this place? I understand the will to get the US open to the North West, but surely there are better courses than this? I don't really care about the colour of the greens, but the surface is rubbish. There's no skill involved putting on a bad surface, the winter greens at my local clubs were better ffs.
That said, there are a few things i do like about Chambers Bay - I really like the idea of the non-level tee boxes that have the players thinking about how to use it to shape shots. I also like that spectators are restricted well back from most of the holes..

yip i also agree,the course looks more like a oversized crazy golf course...also maybe  it is just me but the coverage is terible,between background noise and the actual sound of the club hitting the ball about 2secs after the player hits it!!...not enjoying it so far.

Boycey

Quote from: offtheground on June 19, 2015, 11:02:56 AM

You obviously weren't watching Skys coverage? Monty mentioned it several times during his commentary spell, especially relevant since he'd just shot an excellent 69..

I actually thought the spectator thing took away from the whole thing with them being so far back.

McIlroy played decent and holed absolutely nothing, a couple of late errors ruined what would have been a solid start

cornerback

I actually like the general look & shape of the course but the greens are absolutely atrocious!

The time delay on the protracer really grinds my gears though!!

offtheground

I just seen Garcia's tweets - he's not afraid to speak his mind..!

http://www.golfdigest.com/blogs/the-loop/2015/06/sergio-garcia-rips-chambers-bays-greens-us-open.html

As I said before, who cares what they look like, in fact it might even make it more interesting / difficult for the players to read a putt on a miscolored surface. Its the uneven / bumpy surface is the real joke. Surely this isn't 'by design', more a fail by the agronomist / green-staff.

I missed Monty's comments.. He's my favorite player in the whole tournament at the minute... I put a few quid e/w on him yesterday morn at 500/1. Hopefully he can stay in touch over the next couple of days

screenexile

Quote from: offtheground on June 19, 2015, 11:40:39 AM
I just seen Garcia's tweets - he's not afraid to speak his mind..!

http://www.golfdigest.com/blogs/the-loop/2015/06/sergio-garcia-rips-chambers-bays-greens-us-open.html

As I said before, who cares what they look like, in fact it might even make it more interesting / difficult for the players to read a putt on a miscolored surface. Its the uneven / bumpy surface is the real joke. Surely this isn't 'by design', more a fail by the agronomist / green-staff.

I missed Monty's comments.. He's my favorite player in the whole tournament at the minute... I put a few quid e/w on him yesterday morn at 500/1. Hopefully he can stay in touch over the next couple of days

I don't think there is any excuse for greens to be that bad in a major championship is there?

AZOffaly

Sounds bad. Very unusual in the US. They are anal about having the best aesthetics and conditions for the TV viewers. They like making insanely tough US Open courses with mental fast greens (remember John Daly getting pissed off at a ball continuing to roll off the upturned saucers at pinehurst?) but the quality of them us usually spot on.

This appears to be like awarding the Irish Open to a dodgy Pitch and putt in west Kerry.