The Official Golf Thread

Started by laoislad, December 28, 2006, 07:07:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Puckoon

Quote from: cornerback on June 02, 2015, 03:19:50 PM
Any golf heads played Omagh Golf Club?

What kind of course is it?  Any tips?

Think I'm playing there on Sunday.

Not windy at all, not crazy long. Few hills, particularly 1, 2, 3, 5, 11, 12, 14, 15. The walk from 10-11 is a short but tight one. 6, 8 and 9 all bring the Strule river into play on the right. The view from the 15th tee box is pretty neat. The stout is awesome. 14 is a bit of a monster par 4.

Puckoon

Tiger signs for a smooth 85. Even he wouldn't make the Purcell cup now

Orior

Quote from: Puckoon on June 06, 2015, 06:07:18 PM
Tiger signs for a smooth 85. Even he wouldn't make the Purcell cup now

Ha! Did you play yourself?
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

Puckoon

No, never did!

I played a practice round yesterday for our big event this weekend. Shot 78. No doubt there's an 88 on the cards today

cornerback

Looking forward to the US Open this week.  Chambers Bay getting a bit of criticism but I think it'll be an enjoyable watch.

Now it's time to check out the odds... there'll be no big stakes as more so than ever this could be a pure lottery.

Rossie11

Quote from: cornerback on June 16, 2015, 09:00:09 AM
Looking forward to the US Open this week.  Chambers Bay getting a bit of criticism but I think it'll be an enjoyable watch.

Now it's time to check out the odds... there'll be no big stakes as more so than ever this could be a pure lottery.

Added to fact that the last 3 weeks winners on the PGA tour have been 300/1 its near impossible to pick a winner these days

Boycey

Its a very strange set up with the 1st and 18th holes being played as par 4s or par 5s on different days. I don't recall that ever happening before in a big tournament?

Gabriel_Hurl

I don't believe so - but it will be the same par 70 regardless of what happens

It will be good viewing regardless

Mikasa

Yeah but regardless regardlessly I think Noren will win.

Puckoon

Number 9 can be played as a 225 yard uphill carry over a myriad of bunkers to a green that slopes from back to front towards the pin. Or alternatively they can walk 250 yards uphill to a different tee and play it as a 130 yard downhill (35 yard slope) to a green that slopes hard left to right, towards the aforementioned bunkers.

Nicklaus used to say when he heard someone complaining about the course at a US open - that was one less player he had to worry about.

It is going to be a nightmare, but fun.

Gabriel_Hurl

There's some great flyover videos of each hole on the US Open Facebook page

https://www.facebook.com/USOPEN/videos

screenexile

Have 3 reliables done not big hitters but hopefully steady enough to plot a way around without getting into too much trouble... they've all won me money this year so hopefully they can get me a bit more...

Spieth
Matsuyama
Furyk

All E/W

beer baron

I've had my usual bet on Fowler. Not sure who else ill do if any. Hopefully an exciting weekend in store.

leaveherinsir

By the reports ive read so far a large percentage of the pros dont like the place a la RCD at Irish Open. Its hard to know if a manufactured links such as Chambers Bay will stand up to the more traditional links courses on The Open roster. It may be the speed of the greens that decide the scoring. If they are super fast and undulating then it will make low scoring very difficult.
The distances these top pros hit the ball now is making some courses almost redundant. Maybe the powers that be in organisations like the USGA feel they need something different to protect their notion of par as a sacred cow in the US Open.
I enjoy watching these guys "struggle" to an extent on tougher layouts.

In terms of betting its tough to pick before the event. Might be better to wait til after a round or two.
That said 4 of the last 5 have been Europeans. Dare i whisper Sergio!!

cornerback

After much deliberation I've went with:

Fowler
Snedeker
Matsuyama
F. Molinari