Previous topic - Next topic

lenny

Quote from: highorlow on April 09, 2015, 10:15:45 AM
Patrick Reed
Jason Day
Jordan Speith
Ernie Els

The Big Easy is some value at 200/1  :P

The masters is all about being comfortable on that course. With that in mind I think this will be mcilroys year. I've got a few quid on him straight and once again I've done Jason day e/w. He's won me money the last few years by being placed and he obviously enjoys the course.

Gabriel_Hurl

First round leader – all $1 bets

Morgan Hoffman – 150/1
Fred Couples – 100/1
Chris Kirk – 80/1
Mikko Ilonen – 200/1
Bernd Weisberger – 150/1
Webb Simpson – 100/1
Jamie Donaldson – 80/1
Hideki Matsuyama – 50/1
Victor Dubuisson – 66/1
Mike Weir – 200/1

Canalman

Went finally as follows

E 10 Dustin Johnson to win.

Small e/ws on Cabrera, Fowler, Lowry, Day and Schwarzel.

Only bet on 4 Golf big ones and the Grand National every year.

Great way imo in keeping an interest in the tournaments over the weekend for a small enough amount.

deiseach

Is there any money to be made in golf betting? You hear about professional gamblers in horse racing, where you can crunch the numbers or get the inside track (so to speak), but picking a winner in golf seems to be a crap shoot to me. Who would have put money on Padraig Harrington to win again?

AZOffaly

Looks like Harrington and Lowry were having the craic at the par 3 contest anyway.

mouview

Negative - have a double on Harrington (evens)/Woods (6/5) to miss the cut. Little e/w on Stenson.

Boycey

Quote from: deiseach on April 09, 2015, 02:55:02 PM
Is there any money to be made in golf betting? You hear about professional gamblers in horse racing, where you can crunch the numbers or get the inside track (so to speak), but picking a winner in golf seems to be a crap shoot to me. Who would have put money on Padraig Harrington to win again?

If you read that piece on here yesterday you will see that the numbers can be crunched with golf too..

Plenty of boys punting professionally on golf, it's probably a more 'honest' sport than horse racing..

deiseach

Quote from: Boycey on April 09, 2015, 05:02:56 PM
If you read that piece on here yesterday you will see that the numbers can be crunched with golf too..

Plenty of boys punting professionally on golf, it's probably a more 'honest' sport than horse racing..

I wouldn't call that article a serious attempt at number crunching. I'm sure there are plenty of people gambling on golf in a feeling-in-me-waters style. The question is whether anyone comes out ahead on a regular basis.

screenexile

Quote from: deiseach on April 09, 2015, 05:14:43 PM

I wouldn't call that article a serious attempt at number crunching. I'm sure there are plenty of people gambling on golf in a feeling-in-me-waters style. The question is whether anyone comes out ahead on a regular basis.

Golf is as erratic as anything I'd say any professional gambler worth their salt stays well away.

Horse racing is as crooked a game as it comes and there is money to be made if you know the right people!!!

Boycey

Quote from: deiseach on April 09, 2015, 05:14:43 PM

Is it any less number crunching than Hardys analysis of the Irish National the other day. Hes taken a field of 100 and used different metrics to whittle it down to 20 odd guys who we feels can win.

Like with all sports 99% of all people bet in a feeling in me waters style but there are people who can and do make money betting on golf

Puckoon

I think there is money to be made in each way betting on Golf. Picking the outright winner is a little more difficult.

There is considerable "number crunching" i.e. statistical analysis, in the article posted yesterday - as much as there can be in that sport.

deiseach

Quote from: Boycey on April 09, 2015, 05:38:17 PM
Like with all sports 99% of all people bet in a feeling in me waters style but there are people who can and do make money betting on golf

Fair enough. I thought it might be less prone to analysis but you're saying it's not.

Puckoon

Very surprised and excited at the performance of big Easy. For a man who has been struggling with the putter, 6 under is a great score so far. Hope he can maintain. Wonder if he's been hitting them close, or making good putts.

laoislad

Harrington going ok on -1.
Lowry not so good on +4.
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

Boycey

Jordan Speith giving a serious exhibition at the minute..