The Official Golf Thread

Started by laoislad, December 28, 2006, 07:07:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sammymaguire

Anyone played the both courses at Carton House? Was thinking of booking it soon and not sure if we will get both in so was wondering if there are any recommendations on which one would be better?
DRIVE THAT BALL ON!!

glens abu

Quote from: sammymaguire on September 11, 2014, 05:31:08 PM
Anyone played the both courses at Carton House? Was thinking of booking it soon and not sure if we will get both in so was wondering if there are any recommendations on which one would be better?

I wouldn't be a great golfer but played both and think the O'Meara is a much better course with a nice finish around13-14-15-16 were the water comes into play

sammymaguire

Quote from: glens abu on September 11, 2014, 05:35:08 PM

I wouldn't be a great golfer but played both and think the O'Meara is a much better course with a nice finish around13-14-15-16 were the water comes into play

cheers there, water!? ok playing the Monty! nah, looking at the 3d flyover, the O'Meara looks more interesting, the 15th looks a cracker too! thanks.
DRIVE THAT BALL ON!!

gerrykeegan

Sammy

O'Meara is a lovely course, Monty was built to host big competitions, it's long and hard. It's one big field (so they can get large crowds on it)
2007  2008 & 2009 Fantasy Golf Winner
(A legitimately held title unlike Dinny's)

Applesisapples

I would agree, but I'd hope the greens are better than when we played it.

Mikhailov

Quote from: Applesisapples on September 12, 2014, 02:18:38 PM

Both are great courses but the O'Meara is the more enjoyable even if you are not playing well and you will have opportunities to redeem yourself. The Monty is a super course but to enjoy it you need to playing well as it is the more difficult of the 2 - long par 4's and bunkers galore - big open windswept course with little protection from the elements whereas the O'Meara has plenty of trees and super features on the back 9. As I say both are enjoyable but if I had to choose a course at this time of year to play I would probably pick the O'Meara...

screenexile

Anybody played Lough Erne before?

Anything in particular I would need to be wary of?

sammymaguire

16-22 handicappers, the O'Meara will do lovely. Want to enjoy the experience somewhat.

Lough Erne is spot on. Nothing on there too scary, plenty of water but an enjoyable course that isn't that long and very playable.

Take an extra club on the par 3, 5th plays longer than it looks.
DRIVE THAT BALL ON!!

cockahoop

Quote from: screenexile on September 12, 2014, 02:30:29 PM

First off take a buggy,long walk......8 and 9 are tough also,bring yo yos for the beer cabin at the 9th,lovely course enjoy

thebigfella

Quote from: Mikhailov on September 12, 2014, 02:26:02 PM
Quote from: Applesisapples on September 12, 2014, 02:18:38 PM

Both are great courses but the O'Meara is the more enjoyable even if you are not playing well and you will have opportunities to redeem yourself. The Monty is a super course but to enjoy it you need to playing well as it is the more difficult of the 2 - long par 4's and bunkers galore - big open windswept course with little protection from the elements whereas the O'Meara has plenty of trees and super features on the back 9. As I say both are enjoyable but if I had to choose a course at this time of year to play I would probably pick the O'Meara...

The Monty is miles better than O'Meara as a golf course and condition. You really have to be in control in the golf ball to shoot a good score around it as the bunkers are so penal. It's a golfer's course. I like the O'Meara but apart from the stretch from 14 to 16, you could be on any parkland in the country.

It really depends on what you are after; from the members perspective the low players prefer the Monty and the high ones like O'Meara due to the forgiveness. They are both the same price to play, so I'd always choose the course that has hosted a European tour event.

Puckoon

Visiting Fermanagh you'll need up to date vaccinations.

Once you get there the course is beautiful. Drink your pints in the attached course's clubhouse.

thewobbler

Don't be a slicer. Water is on your right on 9 holes, and serious trouble right on most if the rest.

But the fairways are very generous so this shouldn't trouble overly.

They're probably the biggest greens in Ireland and as a result you'll hit more greens in regulation. But don't be surprised or annoyed if you three putt a few. Most players don't get to experience 100 foot putts very often. Just get on with it.

You need to start well. Holes 1, 3 and 4 are among the easiest on the course.

The 10th par 4 is very driveable, but everything falls to the right so play a draw.

The 15th par 3 plays shorter than you might imagine even though it's all uphill.

Don't go for distance on 8 or 17, you won't need it.

7th, 8th, 9th and 16th are some of the best holes I've played.

Takes forever to get around, and the walk from 5 to 6 will claim a few lives before too long; it's like Croagh Patrick.

Very nice course. A little soulless but utterly pristine and amazing views throughout.

thewobbler

Re Carton.

Personally I wasn't fussed on the O Meara. It's a truly wonderful amen corner, but lacks memorability apart from that stretch. It was also quite easy off the front pegs. Not sure how the changes they made last year have changed that.

Monty is a much better course but a curate's egg. Stay out of the bunkers and it's straightforward enough, but there's 200 of bunkers and the fairways are littered with pot bunkers that you have no choice but to chip out from, and often backwards as the risk of hitting another one going forward is too big. I found it staggering to hear that the bunkers don't really come into play for tour players anymore, as they've gotten so much longer since monty opened. They were like giant magnets for my ball.

Puckoon

Why do you want to draw the ball on 10 at Lough Erne? Left of the fairway is all spinach, and the end of the fairway is reachable with a good 3 wood, so 4 iron or 5 wood is plenty to leave yourself a 100 yard shot? Surely if you are taking the risk/reward and going at that green you want to fade it from the middle of the fairway towards the green?

For what it is worth, a smart drive is no use when you skull the second shot.  :(

screenexile

Great advice lads much appreciated!!