The Official Golf Thread

Started by laoislad, December 28, 2006, 07:07:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Franko

Quote from: Walter Cronc on July 22, 2014, 11:36:24 AM
Ok lads to take the heat of Rory who are your most disliked golfers??

For me its has to be Davis Love III. The name, the look of him. Never liked him.

Corey Pavin another wee dweeb and used to behave badly in the Ryder Cup!!

Brilliant - haven't heard that in a while!

Walter Cronc

Quote from: Franko on July 22, 2014, 11:38:41 AM
Quote from: Walter Cronc on July 22, 2014, 11:36:24 AM
Ok lads to take the heat of Rory who are your most disliked golfers??

For me its has to be Davis Love III. The name, the look of him. Never liked him.

Corey Pavin another wee dweeb and used to behave badly in the Ryder Cup!!

Brilliant - haven't heard that in a while!

Here all week Franko!

Puckoon

Quote from: screenexile on July 22, 2014, 11:18:07 AM
Heading to Vilamoura for a few days in September and was looking a bit of advice about Clubs lads.

I've been told you can rent out decent clubs (even top of the range clubs) when you get there rather than carting your own on and off a plane etc. Have any of you done this before and what's the best site for it?

Any feedback would be great thanks.

Most clubs that I've been to (even higher end ones) offer callaway game improvement irons as their rentals. I like to fly with my own and use the space around the inside of the travel bag for clothes. Haven't flown with a suitcase in years.  If you just want the Craic go with the rentals, but I hate rental clubs!

Puckoon

Quote from: Applesisapples on July 22, 2014, 08:54:21 AM
Quote from: Puckoon on July 21, 2014, 09:18:15 PM
You'd like to hope that with all the training, nutrition, and flexibility that is surrounding all these guys in recent times that they are giving consideration to all that can happen with time and age. I feel like in the years that Tiger was damaging himself, the super fitness aspect of golf wasn't as prevalent. Now, with a few exceptions they all seem to be in serious shape, and really working hard on conditioning - which I assume includes long term health and flexibility - not just power.
Have you seen some of those yanks on the PGA tour? There a shape all right.

Who are you referring to? In the latest crop of younger Americans coming through there's one pudgy cub: Dufner. There's one fat cub: Stadler. What's your point? The point I am making is that fitness has never been more prevalent on the tour. I hope the conditioning coaching and swing coaching are thinking about longevity also.

thewobbler

Quote from: Puckoon on July 22, 2014, 01:20:59 PM
You'd like to hope that with all the training, nutrition, and flexibility that is surrounding all these guys in recent times that they are giving consideration to all that can happen with time and age. I feel like in the years that Tiger was damaging himself, the super fitness aspect of golf wasn't as prevalent. Now, with a few exceptions they all seem to be in serious shape, and really working hard on conditioning - which I assume includes long term health and flexibility - not just power.

Who are you referring to? In the latest crop of younger Americans coming through there's one pudgy cub: Dufner. There's one fat cub: Stadler. What's your point? The point I am making is that fitness has never been more prevalent on the tour. I hope the conditioning coaching and swing coaching are thinking about longevity also.

I'm not so sure. I'd imagine the aspiration is for a long and highly lucrative career. But if given the choice between a short and highly lucrative spell at the top when every aspect of your game is 100%, or a less satisfying career operating at 85% to ensure longevity, I doubt there's a man alive would opt for the latter. The emphasis has to be on getting things right now, and making hay while you can.

Sports scientists and coaches are wonderful creatures, but it's human beings they're dealing with, and all of our bodies deteriorate whether we like it or not.

Applesisapples

Quote from: Puckoon on July 22, 2014, 01:20:59 PM

There's quite a few pudgy ones. I'm not saying that there aren't fit golfers, just asking the question.

Mikhailov

Quote from: screenexile on July 22, 2014, 11:18:07 AM
Heading to Vilamoura for a few days in September and was looking a bit of advice about Clubs lads.

I've been told you can rent out decent clubs (even top of the range clubs) when you get there rather than carting your own on and off a plane etc. Have any of you done this before and what's the best site for it?

Any feedback would be great thanks.

Yea, as soon as you come through to arrivals hall in Faro it is on the RHS - think Paul McGinley is involved in it as a share holder or something. All the clubs are top notch and you can get Taylormade, Callaway and all the top brands. You will get the complete set and all you have to do is prior book in advance and specify what set of clubs you want and they will be sitting waiting for you with your name tag on them when you arrive or just turn up after your flight and book a set but not guaranteed to get what you want... does balls, tees, hats, towels and every other golf accessory you can think off.

from memory it is EUR 50.00- 65,00 per set per week which is very reasonable .....

Minder

What's big DJ been at? Taking a leave from the tour & out of USPGA & Ryder Cup
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

Tony Baloney

Quote from: Minder on July 31, 2014, 10:23:15 PM
What's big DJ been at? Taking a leave from the tour & out of USPGA & Ryder Cup
Likes the white powder apparently.

Puckoon

Big fan of the booger sugar by all accounts. Must be tough hanging out with Miss Gretzky, having one of the best swings in golf, and snorting coke. Couldn't handle that myself..

DennistheMenace

The unhealthy life-style doesn't seem to affect Miguel Jimenez too much, playing wonderful golf and still has a chance of making the Ryder Cup team.

NAG1

Quote from: DennistheMenace on August 01, 2014, 08:39:50 AM
The unhealthy life-style doesn't seem to affect Miguel Jimenez too much, playing wonderful golf and still has a chance of making the Ryder Cup team.

There is a right difference between indulging in a glass or two or even a bottle of red wine with a cigar, than snorting oodles of coke!

DennistheMenace

Quote from: NAG1 on August 01, 2014, 09:01:34 AM
Quote from: DennistheMenace on August 01, 2014, 08:39:50 AM

There is a right difference between indulging in a glass or two or even a bottle of red wine with a cigar, than snorting oodles of coke!

The latter confirmed? If we're talking about DJ he had a bad injury and to be fair was in contention in the Open for a long period. Certain courses will suit him being one of the longest hitters but his mentality can be questioned somewhat having not got over the line as much as he should have.

Rossie11

Been doing the rounds for a while Dennis
Didnt VJ Singh's lawyer mention it sometime ago?

Rossie11

Here it is..

Things have always been bound to get ugly (or uglier, should I say) with Vijay Singh's suit against the PGA Tour. Recently, Singh's lawyer named five players in connection with those who have had "actual or possible violation" of the PGA Tour's Anti-Doping Program.

While the Tour has denied Singh's lawyers for sweeping discovery requests, which stipulate for documents and communications related to the "possible or acutal violation of the [Tour's Anti-Doping] Program" of five current professional golfers: Doug Barron, Matt Every, Mark Calcavecchia, Scott Verplank and Dustin Johnson, according to Golf.com.

Now, obviously Johnson, ranked no. 14 in the world, is the biggest name of the group. In a recent interview with GolfChannel.com at this week's Northwestern Mutual World Challenge, he denied any link with Singh's situation and drug-related accusations (which have taken their course in the rumor mill for several years):

Q: This isn't the smoothest segue, but Vijay Singh's lawyer recently mentioned your name in connection with those who have had an "actual or possible violation" of the PGA Tour's anti-doping policy. What was your response to that?

A: There's nothing I can really say. I don't know why he would call me out. Obviously, he's in a situation where he's looking to better himself somehow, but there's nothing there.

Q: Have you ever been punished or reprimanded for any kind of violation?

A: No.

Q: Does it anger you to see your name in connection with that story?

A: Not really. I don't care. He's in trouble, not me.

Q: Would you consider any type of legal action for your name being used?

A: No. I'm out of it. Don't want anything to do with it. I don't care.

I'd really, really like to take a look at the PGA Tour's "records." Now if Singh's lawyers can get the court to make the Tour produce them, things could get extremely interesting.

Johnson, who recently won the WGC-HSBC Champions with his brother Austin on the bag last month, is turning that into a permanent position. He let go of longtime caddie Bobby Brown to bring Austin to caddie for him full-time on the PGA Tour.

- See more at: http://www.weiunderpar.com/post/dustin-johnson-says-he-says-no-to-drugs#sthash.DiS0v28s.dpuf