The Official Golf Thread

Started by laoislad, December 28, 2006, 07:07:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Milltown Row2

Quote from: heganboy on March 25, 2014, 02:23:24 AM
Love Ardglass- one of my favorite and most hated places to play golf all at the same time. Bring lots of balls, but leave your testicles at home and manage the course well for a round that won't leave you raging. Stunning though. I have had to play the first tee aiming at about 10.30 (if the hole is at 12) straight out into the water and still landed in the rough about 50 feet to the right of the hole. Wind was flying in strong behind us from about 7 o clock. Not often you get to be pin high off the tee on a 290 yard par 4. Thought the member was off his rocker, only hit it out that far to humor him, turns out it wasn't even far enough...
There's a couple of absolutely phenomenal par 3s as well. An absolute b**tard of a course in the wind (most days)

Not a golfing man myself but have played (use that word loosely) a right few course and Ardglass is the best course I've ever played on. Some cracking greens and deadly first hole
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

cornerback

Tiger out of the Masters.  He's missed 4 majors since he turned professional & each time there has been an Irish winner.

Orior

Quote from: cornerback on April 02, 2014, 10:03:47 AM
Tiger out of the Masters.  He's missed 4 majors since he turned professional & each time there has been an Irish winner.

Interesting statistic. Pretty much all the US and Australian favourites have great great grannies that hailed from the Emerald Isle
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

Orior

I had my worst round of the year last weekend, and it nearly put me off the game. Irons were okay, but anytime I lifted the recovery club or 3-wood I was dropping a provisional immediately after. You would think it is easy to leave the woods in the back, but where would I be without ambition?

Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

JimStynes

You'll get the woods sorted and the irons will go. The putter is my main enemy throughout the year. I don't work enough at it to be fair.
I agree with keeping the woods in the bag though, what's the point in playing if you can't get to get the driver in the hand and slice it 250 yards to the right  >:(

Applesisapples

Quote from: JimStynes on April 03, 2014, 07:40:57 PM
You'll get the woods sorted and the irons will go. The putter is my main enemy throughout the year. I don't work enough at it to be fair.
I agree with keeping the woods in the bag though, what's the point in playing if you can't get to get the driver in the hand and slice it 250 yards to the right  >:(
I usually slice it 50 yards to the right.

muppet

Quote from: Applesisapples on April 04, 2014, 10:37:41 AM

That is because you are leaning too far to the left.
MWWSI 2017

Puckoon

If you can't get out to practice at all and work on it you'll never get to fix it . Steep swings and subsequent slices are the biggest issue for many recreational golfers and most novices. Flatten it out and practice!

thebigfella

Quote from: muppet on April 04, 2014, 02:21:35 PM

Is that a joke?

The reason for a slice is the club path is open relative to the path of the swing. Loads of ways the can occur.

thebigfella

Quote from: Puckoon on April 04, 2014, 02:27:02 PM
If you can't get out to practice at all and work on it you'll never get to fix it . Steep swings and subsequent slices are the biggest issue for many recreational golfers and most novices. Flatten it out and practice!

Flat swings cause you to have to re-route the swing over the top as well. Steep is fine as long as droipping the club inside and swinging in to out. If over swinging, probably you have a reverse pivot but also feel as if you are too steep.

Applesisapples

Quote from: muppet on April 04, 2014, 02:21:35 PM

No one has accused me of leaning to the left in a while!

Puckoon

Quote from: thebigfella on April 04, 2014, 03:39:59 PM
Quote from: Puckoon on April 04, 2014, 02:27:02 PM

Flat swings cause you to have to re-route the swing over the top as well. Steep is fine as long as droipping the club inside and swinging in to out. If over swinging, probably you have a reverse pivot but also feel as if you are too steep.

The average recreational or novice golfer coming down with a steep (over the top) swing path is going to lose distance, power, and a shed ton of golfballs to the right off the tee. I should clarifiy that steep on the way up isn't the problem, it's steep on the way down and casting out past the golfball and having to square the clubface prior to impact that is not good at all.

I didn't suggest a flat swing - merely a flatter one to the steep swing. If you can get yourself in the right position at the top, and unleash all the energy in the most efficient downswing inside to out, it will help greatly. If you're over plane and steep at impact you're gonna see left to right on the golf ball.

ballela-angel

"Ardglass is supposed to be some track anyone played it" - I play it every time I'm over - This might draw a laugh or two, but I have played Pebble Beach and Ardglass is a better golf course it terms of layout and challenge (not the condition of the course) - Many beautiful holes already mentioned in this thread, but I have to mention the one where you have to get your shot between two stone gate pilars to get to the green! And don't get yourself on the wrong side of the thatched cottage that borders one of the par three greens! - It and Tralee are my two favorites in Ireland
That awkward moment - Not sure if you do have free time or if you're just forgetting everything!

Student Dissertation

Really excited about the weekend, The Masters is my favourite sporting event bar none!

Any early fancies?

Asal Mor

My Paddy Power account is approaching bankruptcy after some very unlucky(Galway to beat Clare, slightly unlucky(France to beat Ireland) and some downright idiotic(An English team to win the Champions League) bets. Anyone having a bet on the Masters?
It's always a lottery but I might go for Oosthuizen e/w at 70/1 and Kaymer at 150/1.