The Official Golf Thread

Started by laoislad, December 28, 2006, 07:07:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

the Deel Rover

Quote from: Gabriel_Hurl on November 15, 2013, 02:34:21 PM
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/golf/24953883

QuoteRoyal Portrush is a contender to host the US PGA Championship if the PGA of America goes ahead with plans to stage the event outside the United States.

The earliest possible date for a move is 2020, and PGA of America president Ted Bishop suggested the Northern Ireland course as a venue.

"Royal Portrush would be a great first international major," said Bishop.

"I think given the powerful effect that Irish golfers have on the game today, that might be a good place to start."

The PGA of America confirmed last month that a committee is studying the impact of holding the event around the world.

Asia was thought to be the most likely venue in 2020 until Bishop's comments on the Golf Channel's 'Morning Drive' programme
why would they want to hold the event outside of america
Crossmolina Deel Rovers
All Ireland Club Champions 2001

Orior

Quote from: JimStynes on November 15, 2013, 06:24:41 PM
Anybody playing much at the minute? Haven't played in about 5 weeks, clean freezing and course covered in leaves ffs. Cant wait for the summer time already.

We're down to 13 holes on a Saturday. Greens very receptive so you can fire at the pin all day. Well, visualise it anyway.
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

Applesisapples

I love winter golf, its good crack and all the golf bores are hibernating. 14 holes and a fry takes some batin'.

Gabriel_Hurl

G-Mac will represent Ireland in the Olympics in 2016 (if selected)

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/golf/25014432

Jonah

Quote from: laoislad on September 19, 2013, 07:11:41 PM
I see GMac and Lowry well represent Ireland at this year's Golf World Cup event.
All this talk of Mcilroy representing Ireland at Olympics has anyone ever mentioned who GMac will play for?
I'd say he would have no problem playing for Ireland.
Looks like you are right LL

McDowell drops Ireland Olympics hint

Graeme McDowell believes his decision to play the World Cup of Golf for Ireland in Melbourne this week indicates he is likely to make himself available for the same nation when golf returns to the Olympics in 2016.       McDowell is entitled to choose between competing for Ireland or Great Britain at the Rio Games.              Like fellow Northern Irishman Rory McIlroy, McDowell has been reluctant to commit to either team due to the political ramifications of such a choice and has called on the International Olympic Committee (IOC) to decide for him.              "It is a very touchy political and religious subject, one that myself and Rory have not really enjoyed answering questions about the last few years because it is very difficult to pick a side because you are going to end up upsetting someone from either side really," McDowell, who teamed up with McIlroy at two previous World Cups, told reporters at Royal Melbourne golf club on Wednesday.              "From my point of view, when the World Cup came back on the schedule and it was coming to Royal Melbourne, I knew that I wanted to be part of this team, we have always represented Ireland when it has come to the World Cup.              "So I believe that me being here and representing Ireland will, you know, with the Olympic regulations, will mean that I am - I will have to play for Ireland when it comes to the Olympics in 2016... if good enough, if eligible, if fit enough, et cetera, et cetera."           "">Royal & Ancient chief executive Peter Dawson has expressed sympathy for McDowell's and McIlroy's dilemma, and said earlier this year that he hoped the burden of choice could be taken away from them.              He also suggested McIlroy's representation of Ireland at the World Cup could possibly preclude him from playing for Team GB at the Games when golf returns to the Olympic fold after a 112-year absence.              McDowell appeared confident the issue was settled.              "Part of me feels relieved to not have to make that decision," added McDowell, who will team up with Shane Lowry at Royal Melbourne.              "It certainly did not enter into my reasons to wanting to be here this week. I wanted to be here and play with Shane, around Royal Melbourne, in a golf tournament which I have always loved." TopDesktop Version | Terms & Conditions   © 2013 - RTÉ.ieBy using this website, you consent to the use of cookies in accordance with the RTÉ Cookie Policy. For more information on cookies see our cookie policy.

Applesisapples

Mc Ilroy obviously wants to represent the Brits, but keep open his options just in case. At the rate he's going he'll be begging the Irish team to take him. Hopefully they'll say nah Rors fcuk off.

screenexile

Quote from: Applesisapples on November 21, 2013, 11:44:53 AM
Mc Ilroy obviously wants to represent the Brits, but keep open his options just in case. At the rate he's going he'll be begging the Irish team to take him. Hopefully they'll say nah Rors fcuk off.

He's still the top Irish Golfer in the rankings and the 2nd top British golfer so he'd have his pick if the teams were to be named today... We are talking 3 years away though!!!!

Applesisapples

Quote from: screenexile on November 21, 2013, 12:31:20 PM
Quote from: Applesisapples on November 21, 2013, 11:44:53 AM

He's still the top Irish Golfer in the rankings and the 2nd top British golfer so he'd have his pick if the teams were to be named today... We are talking 3 years away though!!!!
what I meant, three years in which to slide...

gerrykeegan

Glad the Shelbourne has recognised the problems with the BIFFOs

IRISH golfer Shane Lowry was left in the rough after he claimed he was refused entrance to the five-star Shelbourne Hotel while enjoying a Christmas night out with friends. Lorwy (26) – who is ranked 77 amongst the world's top golfers - took to his twitter account tonight to vent his frustrations amid claims that the Stephens Green hotel did not let "my mates and I in".

Asked on Twitter why he didn't get in, Lowry replied that they "don't let normal people in".

The European Tour professional added the hashtag 'kip' to his tweets.

In another tweet, Lowry said "for a start" they only had two pints and that they weren't allowed in "because of what we looked like" even though "we looked well".

One of his followers asked him if he had been doing the 12 pubs of Christmas.

"No 12 pubs. Just a few quiet drinks," Shane responded.
2007  2008 & 2009 Fantasy Golf Winner
(A legitimately held title unlike Dinny's)

StephenC

Not much good golf being played in the Desert Classic this morning. Terrible watching so far.

laoislad

There should be more golf holes like the 16th at the Phoenix Open.
Great Craic.
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

JimStynes

First round of the year tomorrow. Another year of walking around threatening to break clubs and walk off the course, one good shot near the end of the round means you always go back for more though.

Orior

Let us know how you get on. I presume it will be shorter tee boxes, lift & place, and very receptive greens. Very different from summer golf
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

bigfrank

Have played a few times since xmas,my local course has the fairways closed at the minute,so by the off chance i actually hit one i have to lift it off to either side,dont happen as often as i wish :)