The Official Golf Thread

Started by laoislad, December 28, 2006, 07:07:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Minder

I see Garcia isn't a fan of Harringtons either, when asked about him as a wild card pick he said "He wouldn't be a sure pick for me".
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

laoislad

Quote from: Minder on August 22, 2012, 09:32:24 PM
I see Garcia isn't a fan of Harringtons either, when asked about him as a wild card pick he said "He wouldn't be a sure pick for me".

Probably still pissed off about losing out on The Open to him.
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

Hound

Quote from: laoislad on August 22, 2012, 09:34:29 PM
Quote from: Minder on August 22, 2012, 09:32:24 PM

Probably still pissed off about losing out on The Open to him.
Beat him in the US PGA too.

But they never liked each other.

nrico2006

I would say its pretty simple with regard to picking the Ryder Cup team.  Its not like the players don't know how it works.  Play well enough and get into the top x positions and thats you sorted, apart from the wildcard.  But if you don't get picked then you really don't deserve to.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

Puckoon

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=lnopJFvTa3Q

A pretty simple ball address tip for sweeter contact with the big stick.

Declan

Anyone play Waterford Castle? - due to head down next week to play it

heganboy

Paddy's doing himself no harm today -7 and leading the Barclays. Sergio did well too. Wee Rory and Tiger played together too with Tiger -3 and Rory -2...
Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity

heganboy

and then he goes bogey bogey bogey to start day 2...
Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity

Puckoon

Bought the Taylormade Rocketballz Driver this week. Sweet Baby Jesus that thing is scary long, very forgiving, Still great yardage on slight toe or heel Mis-hits. Best $250 I've spent in a long time.

Rossie11

What are people's opinions of the Ryder cup and the coverage it gets?
At times it can be enjoyable for example justin leonards comeback at Brookline but mostly
I look on it as been one of the most overhyped events in world sport which fails to live up
to the billing.
The media and sponsors love it but to some of the players it's a chore.
The European players take is seriously but in my opinion it is mainly because they get
a chance to beat the Americans in a big event.
Monty for example who could never get across the line in a major against them embraces
the whole team ethic with gusto as a way of making up for his shortcomings in the real
big individual tournaments.
The likes of Woods and Mickelson couldn't give a damn about it. Phil used it as a way of
testing new clubs one year!!
Mcilroy had to row back and tow the party line after saying what he really thought of the event initially.
I doubt if Harrington really cares about if he is picked or not. He is living for the majors at this stage of his career. The media are trying to hype up the captains pick but deep down I would think PH would take the week off and get ready for the bigger events in his mond

stephenite

My own opinion is that this is a great sporting event,  golf by it's nature is a solitary sport and when you bring in a Team dynamic it considerably alters the mindset of those participating. I also love watching the Presidnts Cup, if you're a golf fan it's something different.

Whether or not the US players buy into it, McIlroy's made those comments before he'd even played in one and even then it was true. All golf players would rather win a major, of course they would, it's a no brainer. The reaction of McIlroy and the team at Celtic Manor (and at other Ryder cups) is something that simply could not be contrived, they buy into alright.

The opposite despondent reaction from the US players mean that, to me at least, they are about losing this. When you've thousands of people whipping up a USA, USA, USA chant it's obvious that there is a patriotic fervour generated.

Harrington would love to be playing against the best at this Ryder Cup, opportunities to play against the best are why he get's out of bed

Declan

I think its a contrived event that was dying on its feet until Seve re-ignited it because of his antipathy towards the American tour. Throw in uber hype Sky coverage and you have the perfect TV package.
I'm sure the players enjoy it alright because it's different from what they do every other week but "Team" Europe certainly doesn't get my blood rising   

thewobbler

As an event the whole Europe vs America does nothing for me. Europe isn't an entity I can throw my weight behind, and I actually cringe a little when the Irish players whip out a tricolour at the end of a victory.

The importance put on captaincy is also something I just don't get. Buzzing around the course in a cart, and having a vice-captain on every hole, is no more helpful than saying another deck of the rosary.  Seasoned, highly-individualistic pros neither seek nor welcome advice. If a captain makes his wildcard picks simply to ensure better collective team spirit, that's his job more-or-less done. No rocket science.

But there is no doubt that as an event it continually produces a dramatic spectacle, and not just because the media says so. On the final day of any regular tournament, you might get 4-6 players whose efforts are worthy of attention, but the format of the Ryder Cup ensures that there are 20-24 players worth talking about on the final day.

Orior

Based on yesterday, there will be a helluva lot of whooping and hollering at the Ryder Cup.

If they shouted like that after I'd struck the ball they would get a club across the forehead.
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

Hound

Looks like Harrington made a balls of his chances, after such a good start. Coelsaerts didnt set the world alight either, but I can't say he doesn't deserve it.

The World Points List Ryder Cup table is a good indication of who's played well over the year.

Poulter is 11th, Coelsarts 12th, Harrington 19th.

I think Coelsarts will do well. Though I think Harrington would do well too.