The Official Golf Thread

Started by laoislad, December 28, 2006, 07:07:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Orior

Quote from: Geoff Tipps on August 20, 2012, 06:04:17 PM
Back in the Ryder cup team now. Wild cards will probably go to Poulter and Colsaerts.

Poulter probably deserves his chance. Then it is Colsaerts versus Harrington. Down to this weekend?
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

laoislad

Harrington is playing very well this season.
The last Ryder Cup I thought he should never have been picked as he was going through a very poor patch on form, and he had a poor Ryder Cup from what I can remember.
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

Geoff Tipps

Quote from: Orior on August 20, 2012, 08:40:30 PM
Back in the Ryder cup team now. Wild cards will probably go to Poulter and Colsaerts.

Poulter probably deserves his chance. Then it is Colsaerts versus Harrington. Down to this weekend?

Colsaerts finished 7th in the competition in the America. He's been in good form all season. I think I recall
Harrington and Olly having a falling out before. Olazabal has said he is well down the list. Realistically Harrington needs to
win this weekend to get the wildcard.

stephenite

Quote from: laoislad on August 20, 2012, 06:02:23 PM
Great to see Sergio back to winning ways.

Absolutely, delighted to see him get a win.

Puckoon

Hard to say Harrington is playing "very well". He's having a better season than the last few but on 15 PGA tour starts he has 3 top 10s, 8 top 25s and 2 missed cuts.

heganboy

harrington one of only 15 players that made the cut in all the majors this year...
Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity

laoislad

I hit the guy collecting the golf balls at the driving range 5 times tonight! Great craic!

Puckoon

Interesting debate came up at work today. One for the morality folks out there, and maybe even a legal aspect to it also.

You're golfing - and you hit someones house (house is on the course) and cause damage. Who is at fault?

laoislad

Quote from: Puckoon on August 21, 2012, 08:50:39 PM
Interesting debate came up at work today. One for the morality folks out there, and maybe even a legal aspect to it also.

You're golfing - and you hit someones house (house is on the course) and cause damage. Who is at fault?

Orior

It is probably your grip.
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

Hound

No sure about the morality aspect (!), but legally the golfer is definitely at fault. Many golf clubs insist their members have golf insurance in case an errant shot hits another golfer / passerby / car / building.

magpie seanie

Quote from: laoislad on August 20, 2012, 08:45:59 PM
Harrington is playing very well this season.
The last Ryder Cup I thought he should never have been picked as he was going through a very poor patch on form, and he had a poor Ryder Cup from what I can remember.

He didn't have a poor Ryder Cup. His own play wasn't of the top drawer but in one match I distinctly remember him reading putts for his partner who was a known average putter. He nailed a few on the way to a win. There are things to consider other than a players form, experience counts for a lot. I think it is a disgrace the way Olazabal has spoken about Harrington and he has gone down a huge amount in my estimation. In the majors this year Harrington has the 10th best record of all players. He has won 3 majors and played in several Ryder Cups. Olly reckons he is not worth consideration over a rookie? Give me a break.

Tony Baloney

Quote from: Geoff Tipps on August 20, 2012, 08:54:13 PM
Quote from: Orior on August 20, 2012, 08:40:30 PM

Colsaerts finished 7th in the competition in the America. He's been in good form all season. I think I recall
Harrington and Olly having a falling out before. Olazabal has said he is well down the list. Realistically Harrington needs to
win this weekend to get the wildcard.
http://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/columnists/charlie-mulqueen/could-nine-year-old-spat-deny-harrington-ryder-cup-chance-204065.html

Hound

Harrington's recent W-D-L record in Ryder Cups isnt good:

2010: 2-0-2
2008: 0-1-3
2006: 0-1-4

But I'm not sure that should count hugely against him, its current form that matters most.

When Olly was made captain I did fear for Harrington, either as being used sparingly or definitely not picked as a wildcard. The bust-up where Olly felt Harrington accused him of cheating has been well documented (Olazabal has never given his side of the story, but from what we know it does appear his reaction was well OTT).

But a captain is entitled to pick whoever he wants. The picking of both McGinley and Clarke as vice captains must definitely improve Harrington's chances. Garcia (another who doesnt get on with Harrington) winning last week was an even bigger boost. If Coelsarts can get a top 2 finish this weekend, I think it'll be a slam dunk that Poulter and Harrington are the wild cards. It'd knock Kaymer out of an automatic position, and his recent form has been awful which should hopefully rule him out of a wildcard selection.

The worst scenario would see Coelsarts playing well, but just missing out on an automatic selection. In that case I think he'd get the wildcard ahead of Podge.

heganboy

Id agree with that, best result for the European win is Colsaerts displacing Kaymer. he can do that with a win, or a second place providing he doesn't share 2nd with more than 2 others.
still not sure that guarantees Paddy the second spot, Poults is a shoo in though
Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity