The Official Golf Thread

Started by laoislad, December 28, 2006, 07:07:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thebigfella

Quote from: Megaman on February 03, 2012, 12:17:39 PM
Quote from: Geoff Tipps on January 19, 2012, 01:14:25 PM
Quote from: Megaman on January 19, 2012, 12:15:44 PM
great photos there Jim

Ok, does anyone know the best / cheapest way to ship one club (driver) from USA, i have been looking at some of the postal companys and if i am doing it right, it seems really expensive.  :o

I got a driver shipped last year with UPS. Think it was around $40. I think the cheapest shipping (which wasn't available to me because the company i dealt with only used UPS) is USPS.

i finnally found a cheaper way (just need to tick a box)

Not 100% sure but if i remember correctly you have to pay customs etc, how do you get away with that.

Normally you cant if you ship it from a retailer.

Megaman

Quote from: thebigfella on February 03, 2012, 12:21:13 PM
Quote from: Megaman on February 03, 2012, 12:17:39 PM
Quote from: Geoff Tipps on January 19, 2012, 01:14:25 PM
Quote from: Megaman on January 19, 2012, 12:15:44 PM
great photos there Jim

Ok, does anyone know the best / cheapest way to ship one club (driver) from USA, i have been looking at some of the postal companys and if i am doing it right, it seems really expensive.  :o

I got a driver shipped last year with UPS. Think it was around $40. I think the cheapest shipping (which wasn't available to me because the company i dealt with only used UPS) is USPS.

i finnally found a cheaper way (just need to tick a box)

Not 100% sure but if i remember correctly you have to pay customs etc, how do you get away with that.

Normally you cant if you ship it from a retailer.

its a friend who is going to post it.

gawa316

Could be wrong but get them to mark it down as a 'gift' on the packaging.

This has worked for us in the past.

thebigfella

Quote from: gawa316 on February 03, 2012, 02:37:25 PM
Could be wrong but get them to mark it down as a 'gift' on the packaging.

This has worked for us in the past.

Yeah you can, problem is though it's only insured for a minimal amount.

DrinkingHarp

A good weekend for Golf.

Rory in Dubai (he looks more in shape than ever). Can he beat out Quiros?

Tiger at Pebble Beach Pro AM. He is playing with Tony Romo (American Football QB) who is a scratch golfer. Can Tiger beat Tony?

Either way a great weekend for golf.

Gaaboard Predict The World Cup Champion 2014

Doogie Browser

Quote from: DrinkingHarp on February 09, 2012, 05:00:39 AM
A good weekend for Golf.

Rory in Dubai (he looks more in shape than ever). Can he beat out Quiros?

Tiger at Pebble Beach Pro AM. He is playing with Tony Romo (American Football QB) who is a scratch golfer. Can Tiger beat Tony?

Either way a great weekend for golf.

Seen him on last night, he has been hitting the gym hard.

ziggy90

Just been watching the Pro-Am from Pebble Beach and it stuck me (as it has many times before) what a fabulous way to make a living. I've played & enjoyed many beautiful courses in Ireland & England but that place seems to be something special. Anyone on the board played there & if so what did you think of it?
Questions that shouldn't be asked shouldn't be answered

thebigfella

Quote from: ziggy90 on February 09, 2012, 11:26:06 PM
Just been watching the Pro-Am from Pebble Beach and it stuck me (as it has many times before) what a fabulous way to make a living. I've played & enjoyed many beautiful courses in Ireland & England but that place seems to be something special. Anyone on the board played there & if so what did you think of it?

Played all 3 courses from the Pro-Am. Pebble is absolutely stunning, even better than it looks on the tv. The one thing you don't see on the tv is the size of the greens. They are the smallest greens on any course in the PGA, and it feels like you like your playing pitch and putt greens at times. For me 6,7 and 8 are breath taking; walking down the 18th is something else too, especially if you have a good scorecard in the back pocket :)

Would I pay to play it again? I don't think so, definitely not at 500 dollars anyway. It pretty much like the old course at St Andrews, a fantastic experience and glad I played them but not one you could justify paying for again. They are just not that good of a course to justify they're green fees.

For me Spyglass is amazing. I came off that thinking i'd done 10 rounds with Tyson. There are nothing holes in Pebble but every hole in Spyglass blew me away. It's an animal of a course that will punish you if you stray at all. If I was offered a chance to play 1 last round of golf on any course I've played (Including TCP Sawgrass), it would be Spyglass. To this day I think Spyglass was one of the best rounds of golf I've ever played, including nearly holing in one of the 5th, but no where near my best scorecard. I suppose that is the appeal though, thinking to myself where did all those shots go and why the scorecard didn't reflect how well I played. I think to myself I should have shot "xx" considering how good my game was on the day and fancy another crack at hitting "xx" or lower ;).

Minder

I have played Pebble Beach loads of times

On the PS3
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

ziggy90

Quote from: Minder on February 10, 2012, 07:58:36 AM
I have played Pebble Beach loads of times

On the PS3

This morning before you went to school?

heganboy

wee rory on top the leader board and gmac presenting the golf channel, wee 6 take over...
Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity

ziggy90

Quote from: thebigfella on February 10, 2012, 01:50:37 AM
Quote from: ziggy90 on February 09, 2012, 11:26:06 PM

Played all 3 courses from the Pro-Am. Pebble is absolutely stunning, even better than it looks on the tv. The one thing you don't see on the tv is the size of the greens. They are the smallest greens on any course in the PGA, and it feels like you like your playing pitch and putt greens at times. For me 6,7 and 8 are breath taking; walking down the 18th is something else too, especially if you have a good scorecard in the back pocket :)

Would I pay to play it again? I don't think so, definitely not at 500 dollars anyway. It pretty much like the old course at St Andrews, a fantastic experience and glad I played them but not one you could justify paying for again. They are just not that good of a course to justify they're green fees.

For me Spyglass is amazing. I came off that thinking i'd done 10 rounds with Tyson. There are nothing holes in Pebble but every hole in Spyglass blew me away. It's an animal of a course that will punish you if you stray at all. If I was offered a chance to play 1 last round of golf on any course I've played (Including TCP Sawgrass), it would be Spyglass. To this day I think Spyglass was one of the best rounds of golf I've ever played, including nearly holing in one of the 5th, but no where near my best scorecard. I suppose that is the appeal though, thinking to myself where did all those shots go and why the scorecard didn't reflect how well I played. I think to myself I should have shot "xx" considering how good my game was on the day and fancy another crack at hitting "xx" or lower ;).

Thanks for that answer bigfella. I wouldn't pay $500 to play any course (I wish I could >:(>:( but I didn't think you had to pay big money for St Andrews, I always understood it was a municipal ccourse.

Puckoon

Did anyone watch the end of the Golf on Sunday? Mighty viewing.

Dusted the old clubs off yesterday to play in the bitter cold. Always good to get back out. Rode the bogey train most of the day, uninspiring stuff but ok for the first day back.

Thinking of looking into a combo set of the Mizuno MP58/MP68. Feeling mighty tempted. Anyone playing either of these sets at the minute?

Megaman

aye, was great stuff, looked like nobody wanted to win it at one stage

the two putts on 18 for the tie where unreal.

as was the putt to win it.

heganboy

Quote from: Puckoon on February 21, 2012, 04:07:01 PM

Thinking of looking into a combo set of the Mizuno MP58/MP68. Feeling mighty tempted. Anyone playing either of these sets at the minute?

Those 68s are great- I have a couple friends play the mizuno blades, but they are all under 5 HCPs and I have a ways to go before I'm in that space.What do you play to Puck?
Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity