The Official Golf Thread

Started by laoislad, December 28, 2006, 07:07:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

heganboy

Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity

Bud Wiser

I was watching the golf live this morning at around 5am I think and the unedited version tells its own story. Our flag as far as these boys are concerned is a flag of convenience.  When they completed the 18th hole the caddies, on the green, quickly removed the bibs with our national colours and stuffed them in the golf bags before the walk through the crowd to the clubhouse.  What a pair of tits.  Ashamed to walk from the 18th wearing the colours??  Assholes.

The other thing that happened was in that interview with the two Macs the bucko with the mike in hand asked " you must have liked it out there today playing with each others balls" but I see on RTE they rdited that out too.
" Laois ? You can't drink pints of Guinness and talk sh*te in a pub, and play football the next day"

thebigfella

Quote from: Bud Wiser on November 25, 2011, 07:52:15 PM
I was watching the golf live this morning at around 5am I think and the unedited version tells its own story. Our flag as far as these boys are concerned is a flag of convenience.  When they completed the 18th hole the caddies, on the green, quickly removed the bibs with our national colours and stuffed them in the golf bags before the walk through the crowd to the clubhouse.  What a pair of tits.  Ashamed to walk from the 18th wearing the colours??  Assholes.

The other thing that happened was in that interview with the two Macs the bucko with the mike in hand asked " you must have liked it out there today playing with each others balls" but I see on RTE they rdited that out too.

Far too many looking to be offended as usual. From what I remember Ken Comboy is english and JP Fitzgerald is a Dub. Somehow I don't think they are ashamed at anything.

Also this is quite normal for caddies to do. The guys caddying with the top golfers would probably have small endorsements and it's an ideal opportunity to get them on the TV.

thewobbler

I would love it if the Irishness police could be policed themselves for a few days. Maybe when every single part if their lives that is related to or dependent on GB is pointed out to them, the penny might finally drop that people have more to do with their lives than pause and check they're displaying the 'correct' symbolism at all times.

heganboy

Bud,
you may say what you like about it, but the truth of it is that they (the golfers) can't possibly win in this situation. No matter what they say or do with the question of nationality, flag or allegiance they can not win. Any time they comment or there is a story in the press on these issues their families get a hammering, threats overt and otherwise. Families take crap when they are out for a meal or a drink, friends get the same. It doesn't matter what you may think about how "convenient" it is for them, the long and short of it is that they play is these tournaments because they want to and for their national golf association, not because of its convenience. Their sponsors don't care about anything other than the Ryder cup and the majors. This is a tournament about promoting golf in Ireland and thats why they are in it, (as well as the bragging rights with their fellow pros)

Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity

Bud Wiser

I had no objection to Rory not accepting the Irish flag and I fully accept his position regarding this - nor am I jumping on the anti brit brigade. What I am saying is that the caddie found the irish colours good enough to wear for 18 holes but the ball hadn't finished rattling in the cup when he peeled them off and stuffed them in the bag on the green when evetyone else walked through the avanue to hand in the cards wearing their colours and shaking hands with thise in the crowd. The Irish colours are either good enough to wear or they are not and for these boys the latter seems to be the case.
" Laois ? You can't drink pints of Guinness and talk sh*te in a pub, and play football the next day"

thewobbler

Went to Royal County Down yesterday - my first time visiting. It was of those rare occasions when something lived up to the hype. It's an astonishingly good golf course. The place is magical.

Orior

Quote from: thewobbler on December 03, 2011, 06:14:50 PM
Went to Royal County Down yesterday - my first time visiting. It was of those rare occasions when something lived up to the hype. It's an astonishingly good golf course. The place is magical.

How much did you pay?

What was your gross?
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

thewobbler

It's £50 from now through to February - though there's very few weekend tees available.

Playing off the forward tees, which are basically the ladies tees (6200 yards).

I hit 102, but played a fair bit better than that. My putter was very cold and I'd about 40 putts - which was nothing to do with the greens, just one of those things that happens to me every once in a while. I was putting for par on most holes, and double bogeying as standard!

Also took 6 strokes to get out of a bunker on the 10th!

The course was a lot fairer than I was led to believe. We played the back nine with a 20-25mph breeze and it was still very playable. Honestly couldn't recommend it enough.

JimStynes

I need a new 3 wood and hybrid 19d. Thinking about titleist 910 but they're obviously quite expensive. Any recommendations lads?

stephenite

Great final round by Rory to win in Hong Kong

sammymaguire

Quote from: stephenite on December 04, 2011, 08:50:01 AM

That guy is becoming über rich!! Terrific sportsman.
DRIVE THAT BALL ON!!

Orangemac

Quote from: sammymaguire on December 04, 2011, 09:52:04 AM

I have criticised him for not winning enough but that is 2 wins since his management change.

Expect him to take the No1 spot next year and at the age of 22 he is now the player everyone is looking at at the majors. Roll on the Masters.

Minder

Quote from: Orangemac on December 04, 2011, 10:50:12 AM
Quote from: sammymaguire on December 04, 2011, 09:52:04 AM

I have criticised him for not winning enough but that is 2 wins since his management change.

Expect him to take the No1 spot next year and at the age of 22 he is now the player everyone is looking at at the majors. Roll on the Masters.

How strong was the field? I see McDowell was playing in a tournament in South Africa and then there is the USPGA event.
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

stephenite

Luke Donald, G Mac and Westwood playing the Nedbank in South Africa meant the field in Hong Kong wasn't as strong as it could have been.

At this stage of the year it's about getting into highest position for Race to Dubai, McIlroy had to get in top 2 in order to still be in with a chance of overhauling Luke Donald next week in Dubai so he did what he had to do, he holed out of a bunker at the last too.