The Official Golf Thread

Started by laoislad, December 28, 2006, 07:07:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JimStynes

What a day for golf   :o I played Greenore, County Louth today.  I was in total awe of the whole place, the scenery was unbelievable. It has to be one of the best courses in Ireland and for 15 euro. The greens were so so fast which meant I was 3 putting all day  >:( 26 points ffs. Last week when I was saying I got my driving sorted and they were all going straight and long. Well now they are slicing like f**k again! I am not releasing the club and holding back on the swing. I just cant seem to find the confidence to get it sorted when standing at the tee. One good point from my game today was that my new AP2s feel class. I was hitting them much better today. I hit a great 165 yard 6 iron into the wind to within 6 feet and then someone managed to 2 putt when it was a pretty simple putt. I have lost all confidence in my putting. It is amazing how much confidence has to do with putting. Last week putting was the best part of my game, this week it is the worst. Need to get a lesson soon.

Although I am playing shite this week I have played 2 of the best courses in Ireland in the last couple of days so i can go back to work happy tomorrow.

Archie Mitchell

You have the time of it Jim! Where is my invite to play a round or 2? You bringing your clubs to Vegas?

thebigfella

Quote from: JimStynes on November 01, 2011, 03:38:47 PM
What a day for golf   :o I played Greenore, County Louth today.  I was in total awe of the whole place, the scenery was unbelievable. It has to be one of the best courses in Ireland and for 15 euro. The greens were so so fast which meant I was 3 putting all day  >:( 26 points ffs. Last week when I was saying I got my driving sorted and they were all going straight and long. Well now they are slicing like f**k again! I am not releasing the club and holding back on the swing. I just cant seem to find the confidence to get it sorted when standing at the tee. One good point from my game today was that my new AP2s feel class. I was hitting them much better today. I hit a great 165 yard 6 iron into the wind to within 6 feet and then someone managed to 2 putt when it was a pretty simple putt. I have lost all confidence in my putting. It is amazing how much confidence has to do with putting. Last week putting was the best part of my game, this week it is the worst. Need to get a lesson soon.

Although I am playing shite this week I have played 2 of the best courses in Ireland in the last couple of days so i can go back to work happy tomorrow.

Jim, no offence Greenore is not even the best course in Louth  :D

Puckoon

Jim - I've had a bit of trouble off the tee myself this last few weeks - so instead of fretting about it and destroying what is left of the golf season - I've just given myself a little go-to tee shot, and will work on the tee all winter.

I'm giving myself a 3/4 swing ball - aimed about 20 yards left of target - that will fade right into the fairway every time. Stance open. The fellas are calling it the Puckoon cutter - but it seems to be taking a lot of the confidence draining that you are talking about when standing on the tee away. Im losing about 20-30 yards and getting no roll - but its in play every time.

Obviously this isnt ideal - but im determined to enjoy the last couple weeks of shorts and good weather without breaking down the swing again.

thewobbler

I make you right bigfella.

Dundalk and Seapoint are a good step up on Greenore. I'd probably prefer Ardee as well. And then there's Baltray (where I haven't played).

Jonah

Quote from: Puckoon on November 01, 2011, 04:53:56 PM
Jim - I've had a bit of trouble off the tee myself this last few weeks - so instead of fretting about it and destroying what is left of the golf season - I've just given myself a little go-to tee shot, and will work on the tee all winter.

I'm giving myself a 3/4 swing ball - aimed about 20 yards left of target - that will fade right into the fairway every time. Stance open. The fellas are calling it the Puckoon cutter - but it seems to be taking a lot of the confidence draining that you are talking about when standing on the tee away. Im losing about 20-30 yards and getting no roll - but its in play every time.

Obviously this isnt ideal - but im determined to enjoy the last couple weeks of shorts and good weather without breaking down the swing again.
Far better to be 30 yards shorter but have the ball in play. Drive for show putt for dough.

JimStynes

Quote from: thebigfella on November 01, 2011, 04:01:22 PM
Quote from: JimStynes on November 01, 2011, 03:38:47 PM

Jim, no offence Greenore is not even the best course in Louth  :D

Well maybe exaggerated there but it is still sum course. I haven't played anything near the standard of that course today. Great views and the greens are class for this time of year. The fellas I played with today have played them all and they put that course up with some of the best about and great value for money. Ireland really is blessed with great golf courses.

Some of the courses down south are silly money to get playing on though. No wonder so many are going bust.

JimStynes

Quote from: Puckoon on November 01, 2011, 04:53:56 PM

It's really annoying because 2 weeks ago I was driving better than I ever have in my life and now I went back to slicing the ball again. I am going to go get a lesson next week and get it sorted. Need to get things sorted over the winter.

Quote from: Archie Mitchell on November 01, 2011, 03:55:25 PM
You have the time of it Jim! Where is my invite to play a round or 2? You bringing your clubs to Vegas?

Aye I have some time of it Archie but sure back to normal tomorrow again. I would invite you but you need to have a GUI number and a handicap to play in the opens.  Get urself a membership sorted, some good deals out there at the minute. I would love to play some of those courses in Vegas but sure you would be stuck in those strips clubs all week  ;)

Declan

IT IS the riddle of the sand wedge. A huge sign on an approach road to the M50 close to Dublin airport is warning that golf is just a "passport for a dirty weekend away with the lads" and, while it has gone viral over the past two days, the identity of the "naive wife" behind it was last night still shrouded in mystery.

The advertisement, which said so much yet revealed so little, was draped over the side of an articulated lorry trailer left in a field beside the N2 slip road which leads on to the M50. In full, it reads: "Golf is a passport for a dirty weekend away with the lads. Wake up girls . . . A naive wife."

Social-media networks were yesterday awash with speculation as to who might be behind the sign, with some people expressing sympathy for the scorned wife. Others insisted it was a marketing stunt for an unidentified business.

The trailer was originally owned by Howarth Bros haulage company and its name is still emblazoned on the truck. When Howarth Bros was contacted yesterday, a spokeswoman said "every man and his dog from Ireland" had been calling to see if she could lead them to the "naive wife" but she had "no idea what the story is behind the ad" as the company had sold the trailer to a haulage firm six years ago.

Dinny Breen

Quote from: Declan on November 09, 2011, 07:27:30 AM

IT IS the riddle of the sand wedge. A huge sign on an approach road to the M50 close to Dublin airport is warning that golf is just a "passport for a dirty weekend away with the lads" and, while it has gone viral over the past two days, the identity of the "naive wife" behind it was last night still shrouded in mystery.

The advertisement, which said so much yet revealed so little, was draped over the side of an articulated lorry trailer left in a field beside the N2 slip road which leads on to the M50. In full, it reads: "Golf is a passport for a dirty weekend away with the lads. Wake up girls . . . A naive wife."

Social-media networks were yesterday awash with speculation as to who might be behind the sign, with some people expressing sympathy for the scorned wife. Others insisted it was a marketing stunt for an unidentified business.

The trailer was originally owned by Howarth Bros haulage company and its name is still emblazoned on the truck. When Howarth Bros was contacted yesterday, a spokeswoman said "every man and his dog from Ireland" had been calling to see if she could lead them to the "naive wife" but she had "no idea what the story is behind the ad" as the company had sold the trailer to a haulage firm six years ago.

I suppose I did feel a bit dirty after sharing a floor with you, Muppet and Croí in Wicklow...
#newbridgeornowhere

Puckoon

Some seriously shocking performances in the singles at the presidents cup. Johnson and Jason day getting destroyed, while mickleson conceded the first 3 holes while still off the green!

Orior

Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

Jonah

Quote from: Orior on November 25, 2011, 10:02:51 AM
Those british ulster Irish boys are doing well

http://worldcup.pgatour.com/Leaderboard.aspx

Does these guys use the Irish tri colour as their flag or have they a makey up one like the rugby? And do they play the anthems for the winning team?

aontroim

Quote from: Jonah on November 25, 2011, 10:21:35 AM

Does these guys use the Irish tri colour as their flag or have they a makey up one like the rugby? And do they play the anthems for the winning team?

Both caddies decked out in green white & orange - the players just seem to decide on which colour of shirt to wear each day - which so far hasn't been green!  Pink yesterday, black today.

Jonah

Quote from: aontroim on November 25, 2011, 11:45:11 AM
Quote from: Jonah on November 25, 2011, 10:21:35 AM

Both caddies decked out in green white & orange - the players just seem to decide on which colour of shirt to wear each day - which so far hasn't been green!  Pink yesterday, black today.
The pink would suit GMac alright ;)