Leinster Senior Club Football Championship 2017

Started by Junior Ex Laoistalk, July 20, 2017, 09:49:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

OTF

They didn't have the fitness level required for their running game, their support play which was excellent in the first half was gone half way through the second half resulting in them losing possession 3 or 4 times towards the end.

Ref was poor, a box in the face is a yellow at least, Dillon gets a yellow for pulling down a player off the ball when it should have being a black.

Laoiseabu

Ye they were missing there captain Daryl Flynn who plays midfield and Vice captain Whyte who plays half foward

on the hop

realistically there is not too many worth a go on the panel and that really shows how poor a pick we have. brody, lillis and if healy commits and is fit will be there. Dillon for all the pace in the world can be clueless at times. I don't think boyle will commit as it would be a big ask for him after that there is nothing else.

Flanagan is one that should be left to develop, both himself and mc evoy have improved.

Donnellys Hollow

Quote from: Laoiseabu on November 13, 2017, 12:43:57 PM
Another thing not one of them Moorefield lads is even on the Kildare PANEL and they beat Portlaoise yet we are looking at maybe 8,9,10 Portlaoise guys maybe from what I've heard for the Laois panel? Maybe just shows where Laois football is at

Moorefield might lack many names familiar to those outside Kildare but as a unit they much more than the sum of their parts. They have many of the qualities which the county team lacks (composure, steel, temperament), and that's why they regularly beat the likes of Athy, Celbridge and Johnstownbridge who are all stacked with county players.

Most of their side yesterday would have played county football at one point or another. Sweeney played with Kildare as far back as 2000 and is a county selector now. Dempsey, Masterson and Healy would have Leinster minor medals from the last few years. Heavey, Healy Murnaghan, Tyrrell and Eanna O'Connor were all on the Kildare senior panel in the last two years. Ryan Houlihan was starting for Kildare in 2016 and now he can't get a starting place for Moorefield.
There's Seán Brady going in, what dya think Seán?

High Fielder

That kind of tallies with what I thought DH. They hung in on Sunday and the breaks fell their way. I think they would struggle against a mobile and classy team, but the pitches at this time of year could be the leveller. Not inconceivable that they could win Leinster now

portlaoisekid

I feel Portlaoise threw it away on Sunday. To be 3 points up and in control of the situation it makes it for a hard defeat to take.

The sending off was a key incident and really lead Portlaoise into a tailspin but in saying that we had two chances to score in injury time and should have scored.

In fairness though,all credit to Moorefield as they showed great bottle to take their chances and win.

In general the year for Portlaoise has been good, to win the county back and have such an influx of new lads come in and do well has been good. Next year I expect more changes to the team and the return of Healy will be a massive boost.

High Fielder

A couple of posters here have questioned the quality of Portlaoise lads, but I think that's missing the point. Both Moorefield and Portlaoise showed on Sunday that the system and team work are more important than the individual. Having watched Laois closely over the last few years, there hasn't been a system. A couple of our experienced midfielders have been known to hoof the ball to Donie and stand with hands on hips. That simply won't do in modern football. As Nameless pointed out, the emphasis now is on speed and conditioning. I would add good support play into that mix. Portlaoise players are good enough. Anyone who commits, trains and buys into a system should be considered. Anyone who doesn't should be discarded. 

Giovanni

Quote from: High Fielder on November 14, 2017, 11:21:13 AM
A couple of posters here have questioned the quality of Portlaoise lads, but I think that's missing the point. Both Moorefield and Portlaoise showed on Sunday that the system and team work are more important than the individual. Having watched Laois closely over the last few years, there hasn't been a system. A couple of our experienced midfielders have been known to hoof the ball to Donie and stand with hands on hips. That simply won't do in modern football. As Nameless pointed out, the emphasis now is on speed and conditioning. I would add good support play into that mix. Portlaoise players are good enough. Anyone who commits, trains and buys into a system should be considered. Anyone who doesn't should be discarded.

Excellent post. It's easy to denigrate the quality of the players but we have really been without any kind of discernible system of play since McNulty (and that system had some serious flaws too). In addition to all the physical elements of "the system" mentioned above, there is a winning mindset that has to be developed which, I'm afraid, seems very absent from some of our better players.

OTF

Quote from: Giovanni on November 14, 2017, 11:47:57 AM
Quote from: High Fielder on November 14, 2017, 11:21:13 AM

Excellent post. It's easy to denigrate the quality of the players but we have really been without any kind of discernible system of play since McNulty (and that system had some serious flaws too). In addition to all the physical elements of "the system" mentioned above, there is a winning mindset that has to be developed which, I'm afraid, seems very absent from some of our better players.

I'd agree plenty of players good enough on Sunday. A lot of harsh comment re the quality of players  on Dillon in particular.
Some players don't have 70 minutes in them and need to be replaced earlier( no matter who they are) especially  with this running game one or two tired players and it all breaks down.

portlaoisekid

If Portlaoise had off killed the game as they should have we would be looking at theses players differently, just because they lose doesn't make them poor players. Yes they are not as good a team as the Portlaoise team of a few years ago but IMO the lads who came in this year did very well. 

In terms of an extended Laois panel I would call up Brody, Finn, Lillis, Boyle, Seale, McEvoy, Dillon , Carroll and Cahillane.

steven seagal

I think the big difference between Moorefield and every other team Portlaoise met this year was that Moorefield were excellent defensively. Moorefield did a great job of slowing Portlaoise down, and they weren't at their best with the slower pace.

They also tied up Bruno, which rarely happens in Laois. It was almost comical how much freedom Rhode gave him. Rhode looked like they had no homework done on Portlaoise at all, but Moorefield looked far better prepared.

I thought Sunday was the first game this year where they really missed Healy as well, they could have done with him on Eanna O'Connor. In spite of all that, they should still have won it. That late lapse probably cost them another Leinster, because they would have been the best team left in it. A tough one to take for them but they'll probably win another three or four in a row in Laois, at least, so they'll have plenty more chances.

redsetanta

Lomans didn't pay enough attention to the Portlaoise v Moorefield game. Some comeback again.

They'll be toasting Billy O'Loughlin in Newbridge and burning his effigy in Mullingar.

His bravado kicking the ball away gave the Moorefield kicker the yards he needed to put it over.
The real glory is being knocked to your knees and then coming back. That's real glory. VinceLombardi

Junior Ex Laoistalk

Quote from: redsetanta on December 18, 2017, 12:47:58 PM

They'll be toasting Billy O'Loughlin in Newbridge and burning his effigy in Mullingar.

His bravado kicking the ball away gave the Moorefield kicker the yards he needed to put it over.

While I agree Billy was one of the players at fault he wasn't the only one, for me Sharry getting sent off after a second yellow turned the game on it's head. Loman's should have brought everyone back at that stage to secure victory. But Luke bringing on his relation to give him a run on an historic day and what he did kicking the ball back and adding another minute to the game was pure madness. O'Loughlin was always a bit of a clown on the field but this is one mistake he won't forget for a long time.
Winners are not those who never fail, but those who never quit!

Don Draper

Pretty harsh on Billy lads. All he did was roll a ball away. And O Connor didn't even kick the free. It fell to a lad on the edge of the square all on his own. At the last kick of the game, an opposition player was left all on his own on the edge of the square! Lomans has collectively shit the pot long before that. No ones even mentioned the number 6 who abdicated responsibility for the past 10 minutes, or Heslin's no show during the same period. Luke brought on a player who has management experience to try see a game out. At the end of the day, its simply down to one thing. Lomans saw the finish line, and pissed themselves. An awful shame for them. This will be a tough week.

redsetanta

FAir enough it didn't go straight over but he got to take it from the 45 as opposed 55 or 60 metres out. Great leap from Sweeny to knock it back and they got the bit of luck.
The real glory is being knocked to your knees and then coming back. That's real glory. VinceLombardi