Down Club Hurling & Football

Started by Lecale2, November 10, 2006, 12:06:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Smurfy123

I told you on here 3 weeks ago Deegan and his team were told they had the job if he wanted it. Add in a high profile name like Shane Mulholland to keep the Down public happy.
It would be the most underwhelming appointment since well since eamon

Samforever

Quote from: Smurfy123 on July 04, 2018, 08:09:04 AM
I told you on here 3 weeks ago Deegan and his team were told they had the job if he wanted it. Add in a high profile name like Shane Mulholland to keep the Down public happy.
It would be the most underwhelming appointment since well since eamon
That's bull shit. No one has been told nor pcan be told. It is the county board not the county exec who ratify any proposed appointment. None of Deegan , Mulholland nor Poacher would have popular support as have achieved little or nothing at right level. Like Mourne rover says it would be good to get someone in pre championship  but unfortunately the cigs of bureaucracy don't work that quick

Smurfy123

It is the county executive who will ultimately appoint the manager. Like has been the case this 20 odd years and more. They went after Eamon and got him and now Conor Deegan has been approached

downjim

Of course the county executive will pick the manager, would a club committee appoint other people to pick a management??

Cuan12

Are people in Down that naive to believe that conor Deegan is the man for the job, he achieved nothing in Dublin despite have unlimited resources, success in Down u20 s -zero, club management in Down zero success, and people believe he's the right appointment, lads get real , nothing against the big lad but it's a disaster in the making, we better have deep pockets because if he gets the job we are going to need them!'

downjim

The same applies to Poacher, has won nothing of note on his career bar a few tea cups at school level. But he is good with limited teams and he would get us out of division 3 and make us competitive.

Is Jim McGuiness out of the question??

Mourne Red

McGuiness would have no interest in the Down job, one we couldn't afford him and two we aren't at that level to attract those type of elite level managers

Brick Tamlin

Dont believe anything ye read or see in local print or social media.
Alot of them buddies of the Narcissist and just stir the pot to keep the craic going.
The annual Down managerial hoohaa is just entertainment for the ego-maniacs and their cheerleaders.

downjim

Hopefully we get McGuinness so boring bogue won't have anything to write. What would he know about Down football

Brick Tamlin

Previous poster alluded to it already. If you think Jim McGuinness would touch Down job youd be deluded.
If you also think our illustrious leaders at County Board level could produce the sheckles to lure someone of McGuinness ilk to take Down then youre also mistaken. County is stone broke and its gonna be another bargain basement appointment from within to fill the void for another few seasons.

downjim

What mercenaries are available?

whitegoodman

From what I was told the team of Burns, Murray, Adams etc were not that easy to pay so I'd assume there is a reasonable budget to attract a decent name.

They wouldn't get McGuinness but could tempt the likes of Malachy O Rourke or Tony McEntee with the right package.

Other than that go back to wee James.

RadioGAAGAA

Why would anyone want to manage us?

We don't have the players to meet the expectations of 90% of the county and you'd be working with a county board that is erratic at best.

A poison chalice if ever there was one.
i usse an speelchekor

snoopdog

McGuinness is looking for a job in soccer. He has no interest in getting a gaelic football role. He is supposed to have said as much when he returned from China.