Antrim Hurling

Started by milltown row, January 26, 2007, 11:21:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NAG1

Quote from: old timers on February 20, 2018, 09:27:42 AM
Quote from: north_antrim_hound on February 19, 2018, 04:46:01 PM
Was at the match, they actually got 7 from play(we scored more from play) the rest were 65s and beautiful sideline cut from Kavanagh. Ref blew his whistle constantly and the game had no flow. Their free taker never missed. We put in a poor effort and didn't deserve to win truth be told. Still they got some soft frees.

Going south and not getting referring decisions is nothing new and that happens at all levels.  We all know that but that aside you are right in saying we were poor and didn't deserve the win.  it was hard to watch and disappointing after such effort put in previously.  I have said before but I hoped Sheedy's influence would have been greater regarding players and their fitness levels and strengths and weaknesses generally- an outsiders perspective - not just the "managements" usual style  because lets face it in my opinion there were a few out there that are definitely not fit and continue to be given game time and fitted into any position.  Having a bad day on the pitch happens to everyone but for me there is no excuse for being overweight and unfit at this level.  I have asked some of our lads on the panel and they say the boxes are being ticked with regards fitness testing and improving these stats so where is it going wrong?.  After the first two matches there was a sense of definite improvement so was Saturday night just a glitch.?

I think that was the problem, the first two matchs.

Galway back from a holiday no training done hardly, Dublin as poor as they have been in a number of years minus the Cuala contingent.

Bit of false hope, Laois was always going to the acid test and it shows that we are exactly where we have been for the last couple of years.

Milltown Row2

Laois have been playing at a level above Antrim for the past few seasons, we have not won the Christy Ring and have not competed in the senior Championship for a while. Our best Antrim clubs teams have been turned over by the Derry champions 2 years in a row and now after 3 competitive games were we have scored well and competed to the end..

Where do you expect to be lads? FFS honestly we wont be pulling up trees in one season, the fitness levels are a hell of a lot better than they have been in the past as we would have folded to teams after 60 minutes and the last ten minutes become shooting practice..

We knew before the league started that we would have to compete in the playoff game, nothing has changed and I'm sure we are gearing up to that with a view of winning that one off game, that's the target first and with a good showing in the championship..

Some expectations on here are, lets say, a bit high? so now its about rolling up the sleeves and continuing to improve and hopefully get that break, as for the bigger players, I watched a few games at the weekend and there was a lot more heavier players at intercounty level for the better counties than what we have on show.

I'm more encouraged this year than ones lately, whether Sheedy is an influence or not we are still playing better hurling
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

old timers

Not too sure what games you were watching MR2 to have seen a lot more heavier players than some on Saturday nite.    You must have been watching a few divisions below but you are right about the expectations. Although Im really not sure why because its the same "Management" and "style" as previous years.   We said at the end of last year after an embarrassing display in Croke that things needed to change -  has it ??  going on Saturday nights overall performance the answer has to be No.  NAG is right " it shows that we are exactly where we have been for the last couple of years" .

old timers

John Kiely Limerick manager has confirmed they will be without their Na Piarsaigh and Fitzgibbon players at the weekend in Cushendall - could a win be on the cards for Antrim ?

Milltown Row2

Quote from: old timers on February 20, 2018, 11:40:23 AM
Not too sure what games you were watching MR2 to have seen a lot more heavier players than some on Saturday nite.    You must have been watching a few divisions below but you are right about the expectations. Although Im really not sure why because its the same "Management" and "style" as previous years.   We said at the end of last year after an embarrassing display in Croke that things needed to change -  has it ??  going on Saturday nights overall performance the answer has to be No.  NAG is right " it shows that we are exactly where we have been for the last couple of years" .

Go on to the hurling thread of the board Old Timer and check what other hurling supporters have been discussing about this weekend games, its about the size of some of the players, not Aantrim but other counties..

We havent played these teams at this level for a while but your continuing with the management bashing.. your views on making Antrim better are?
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Milltown Row2

Limerick have given us some handy beatings over the years, even when i thought we'd have a decent chance at those times they have managed to come up and give us a hidding... Again I'd be happy with a competitive game, take the win but take a better performance

old timers

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on February 20, 2018, 01:43:27 PM

Go on to the hurling thread of the board Old Timer and check what other hurling supporters have been discussing about this weekend games, its about the size of some of the players, not Aantrim but other counties..

We havent played these teams at this level for a while but your continuing with the management bashing.. your views on making Antrim better are?

Ah well then sure it's all ok  then cause it happens in other counties.  The only county that I'm concerned with is Antrim. And unfortunately my "management bashing" most certainly is not that -  it is the lack of progress made that speaks for itself. gaining promotion last year was great but to go straight back down again would mean we are no better off. IMO.  As for making Antrim better well if it's not working then we need "change " of some description.  Iv been there. Done my bit and gave my thoughts and concerns many times And unfortunately for Antrim good performances don't bring about points. 

MoChara

Sounds like we need a Russian billionaire to buy us a load of players from foreign counties.

bannside

Look lads a blind man can see that some very obvious progress is being made.  The performances are up a definite notch or two or two on previous years....so credit to all concerned. Hopefully it can continue.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: old timers on February 20, 2018, 04:19:25 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on February 20, 2018, 01:43:27 PM

Ah well then sure it's all ok  then cause it happens in other counties.  The only county that I'm concerned with is Antrim. And unfortunately my "management bashing" most certainly is not that -  it is the lack of progress made that speaks for itself. gaining promotion last year was great but to go straight back down again would mean we are no better off. IMO.  As for making Antrim better well if it's not working then we need "change " of some description.  Iv been there. Done my bit and gave my thoughts and concerns many times And unfortunately for Antrim good performances don't bring about points.

These other counties are competing at the top table..

who are these few players in Antrim you talk about? Manager bashing and now player bashing! You only concern is Antrim, hmmm you've a strange way of supporting them.

The management have the players that wanted to commit to the county, we can't draft players in from other counties and we can't force players to play! I'm nit sure how management was picked but I'm sure there was a process.

So let's get on with the game, hurling at a higher level now

theskull1

Important to keep in mind, there's been no 'tangible' shrinking of the gap in terms of our competitiveness in the juvenile ranks in 10-15 years. Don't believe we'll move up much, higher standards wise than where we are currently whilst that remains the case (a difficult nut to crack up here). Both management and player commitment at senior level seems to be right at the moment.
It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

ciaran1988

Limerick travelling up to Antrim on the Saturday with only a panel of 23 players 3 of which are goalkeepers for Sunday's game. I'm sure they will still have a decent 15 starting minus the UL and NaP players as they will be looking a big winner takes promotion clash with Galway the following week but again I feel we are being massively under rated as some bookies have a handicap of 11 points.
Surely our lads will be well up for this after a disappointing result on Saturday past and will make a good close game out of this and deliver another positive performance like the ones against Galway and Dublin. Saffrons Abú

Na Glinntí Glasa

its all about positives lads. look too them and stop searching for negatives to cling too.

yes we have lost the games and its been disappointing but in years past we would of lost those games by big scores whereas we are holding our own now. it just needs time and support from everyone.
hurl like f**k boi!

let it fly

Strong enough team heading to cushendall with limerick after all the fitzgibbon chat and with Na Par players gone, shows what riches linerick actually have and they have been underachieving for last 2 years I think. A decent showing against them would be great as I believe Linerick have a big year ahead of them