European GAA

Started by youbetterbelieveit, November 17, 2006, 06:40:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

youbetterbelieveit

If anybody has an interest, the website is http://europe.gaa.ie/

ziggysego

There should be a European competition set up. All Ireland Club Winners of Seniors, Immediate and Junior levels in each country, including Ireland, should play each other for a European Cup.
Testing Accessibility

DUBSFORSAM1

Ziggy

The standard in Europe wouldn't be quite that high amongst most teams..The European champions are playing in the Leinster Junior Club Championships this year though

Gnevin

I've been hearing rumours Europe will be fielding a team in the Rackard Cup any truth in this?
Anyway, long story short... is a phrase whose origins are complicated and rambling.

Gnevin

I've nothing to do in work so i was looking around it seem the French are making great progress .
Check out http://www.fffgaelique.info/.

They have a regional organisational body now and at least 1 regional competition. 10 years ago their was only 1/2 clubs in france now its up to 6/7 with 2 more in the works
Anyway, long story short... is a phrase whose origins are complicated and rambling.

stpauls

GNevin,

there are now 4 different regions in Europe, makes it easier for teams to travel to tournaments, and the winners of each region then meet in a grand final as such, with the winners of that crowned overall champions of Europe.

Every country has really grown over the last couple of years, as when i was playing for Munich Colmcilles, there were only 2 teams in Germany, 3 in France, Luxembourg, Brussels, and The Hague. As I said, now there are four regions with teams now from Vienna, budapest, Copenhagan, Amsterdam, Barcalona and Madrid, along with other cities, so it has really grown in stature over the last 5 years.

Unfortunately, due to numbers, logistics etc. the standard of football would only be at about a Junior level, so playing teams from Ireland for a European Cup would be pretty pointless to be honest.

the colonel

rennes university has competed in the last two british university championships. they had a squad of all french players. last year they were not much good, but drew with cambridge university. this year in london the improvement was unbelievable. they won a couple of games against stirling and some other university. they could play at junior level easily at a county like antrim. the work going on there is fantastic and needs to be recognised
the difference between success and failure is energy

Gnevin

Quote from: stpauls on May 01, 2007, 11:50:29 AM
GNevin,

there are now 4 different regions in Europe, makes it easier for teams to travel to tournaments, and the winners of each region then meet in a grand final as such, with the winners of that crowned overall champions of Europe.

Every country has really grown over the last couple of years, as when i was playing for Munich Colmcilles, there were only 2 teams in Germany, 3 in France, Luxembourg, Brussels, and The Hague. As I said, now there are four regions with teams now from Vienna, budapest, Copenhagan, Amsterdam, Barcalona and Madrid, along with other cities, so it has really grown in stature over the last 5 years.

Unfortunately, due to numbers, logistics etc. the standard of football would only be at about a Junior level, so playing teams from Ireland for a European Cup would be pretty pointless to be honest.
Yes i seen that  there are  4 Euro regions but the French body which was recently created is the first step in them having a county board . This in my opinion is the key , having local French tournaments every week will see a rapid improvement in quality

thejuice

The important thing to do is too get the local populace playing and not just the Irish community. As you may have seen on RTE theres great work being done in the Mid-lands in the UK where there are teams that are almost 90% non-Irish origin. This is done through the schools and is massively successful and will really tell in the future. This is a great development to see, and needs to be done in all International levels of the GAA. It also should be done accross Ireland in areas that would be considered non-GAA areas and non-GAA schools.

Get everyone playing GAA.  :D

Reminds me of a p***k who went to College with me. He was from Louth and shall remain nameless, he refused to play on our Gaelic football team because we also had UK players and "blacks" on our team. This unfortunate individual failed to see his own foolish ideals as harmful and regressive even though we tried to convince him otherwise. As we all know there are a few more people with similar ideals involved in the GAA, these people need to take a look at themselves and realise they're only holding Gaelic games back.
It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016

ParisGAA

We had as many non-Irish men at Paris Gaels training last night than we had Irish men. Some of the French lads are very good though maybe lack a natural Gaelic playing style that some of the Irish players have. We also had about eight hurlers in preparation for the Brussels tournament on May 12th. Think we're going to amalgamate a bit with a few guys from Bretagne to make up the team. We won the first regional football tournament at Rennes which featured ourselves, Bretagne, and Jersey. Guernsey were also scheduled to be there but they couldn't make it. In France, it would be very difficult to have weekly tournaments. Due to work commitments and the cost of travel monthly tournaments are more realistic.

stpauls

PariaGAA,

how long have you been based out in Paris and playing for the lads? Is Eoin Hamdam (think that is how you spell it) still playing for you?

ParisGAA

StPauls
Since October '06. There was a guy from Dublin at training last night called Eoin but he was only there for the hurlin and I don't know his surname. In fact he hasn't been in Paris that long so probably not him. So in answer to your question, no I don't know him but I'd say some of the others do. You should check out our website parisgaa.org and see if you see him in any pics. You'll see our new jersey too, it's lethal!

stpauls

Paris,

no worries, it was 2002 when i was out in Munich so it is more than likely he has gone back home since then. He was a big Tyrone man and liked to be heard so if he was there I am sure you would know who he was. How are you's looking for this year, think you can take conquer Europe again. Was back out in Munich for the Paddy's Day parade and the guys are hopeful of winning a few tournaments this year, and maybe even taking Europe aswell  ;)

jpmac

Just noticed this thread! St. Pauls I can confirm that Mr. Eoin Hamdam (aka Percy) is now working in Dublin and has been for the past couple of years! You'll be glad to know he has'nt changed at all!!!!

stpauls

jpmac,

glad to hear that, he was some craic. you wouldn't happen to have an email address for him? if so, can you pm it to me?