GAA fear for Kingdom (and all counties)

Started by youbetterbelieveit, February 09, 2007, 04:32:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

youbetterbelieveit

GAA fear for Kingdom
09 February 2007

There are growing concerns among Kerry GAA hierarchy over the amount of footballers and hurlers players leaving the county to play Gaelic games elsewhere.

In a survey conducted by the county board last year, a total of 88 players left the county during the first eight months of the year and there is no sign of that number decreasing.

In total 45 clubs have been affected by the mass exodus which has been caused by players emigrating to places like the U.K, Australia and America, while others have moved counties, generally for work reasons.

West Kerry Board chairman, Derry Murphy, stressed: "The present position where club players have no meaningful competition during the summer months must be addressed as a matter of urgency."

He added: "Lads going off and travelling the world is all a part of life nowadays but what I would like to see are more meaningful competitions during the summer to keep them here."

theskull1

As a club first/county second person I feel this is THEE biggest issue in the GAA and has been getting steadily worse for years
County Boards/Croke Park have been paying no more than lip service to the importance of the clubs and their competitions, yet every county is playing more and more intercounty in the summer months. County Managers hoarding players has just as big an impact. But while the money keeps rolling in will they listen? Affluenza (as Joe Brolley called it) is at the very core of this issue and Croke park will never turn away the opertunities to gather in more and more revenue even if people at club level are walking away due to the lack of compeditive action in the summer months.

It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

Gnevin

Quote from: youbetterbelieveit on February 09, 2007, 04:32:44 PM
GAA fear for Kingdom
09 February 2007

There are growing concerns among Kerry GAA hierarchy over the amount of footballers and hurlers players leaving the county to play Gaelic games elsewhere.

In a survey conducted by the county board last year, a total of 88 players left the county during the first eight months of the year and there is no sign of that number decreasing.

In total 45 clubs have been affected by the mass exodus which has been caused by players emigrating to places like the U.K, Australia and America, while others have moved counties, generally for work reasons.

West Kerry Board chairman, Derry Murphy, stressed: "The present position where club players have no meaningful competition during the summer months must be addressed as a matter of urgency."

He added: "Lads going off and travelling the world is all a part of life nowadays but what I would like to see are more meaningful competitions during the summer to keep them here."

And this wasn't a major problem in the 70's and 80's . Must have very little to worry about if they are worried about 88 Players leaving
Anyway, long story short... is a phrase whose origins are complicated and rambling.

theskull1

The general point is Gnevin is "The present position where club players have no meaningful competition during the summer months must be addressed as a matter of urgency."

At least the players left behind in the 70's and 80's had meaningful matches to play :(

Gnevin

Quote from: theskull1 on February 09, 2007, 05:08:46 PM
The general point is Gnevin is "The present position where club players have no meaningful competition during the summer months must be addressed as a matter of urgency."

At least the players left behind in the 70's and 80's had meaningful matches to play :(

Why is this an issue which Central Council must come in to save the club game , Dublin manages to play its  championship through out the summer
Anyway, long story short... is a phrase whose origins are complicated and rambling.

AZOffaly

I thought the Dublin championship was only finished there in November or something? I remember floodlit games in Parnell Park anyway. And it's a straight knockout I think?

Gnevin

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dublin_Senior_Football_Championship_2006

games in April, May,July and September  with the league running throughout . The Dulbin Championship has a back-door now

tayto

All finished in a mad rush at the end there with one or two games over the summer, floodlight matches, midweek matches, fixtures for friday evenings, final on a monday night. not exactly ideal.

i read somewhere that Mayo have drawn up a new club season where the league gets played during the summer without inter-county players, or something like that, sounds like a plan to me.

Gnevin

Quote from: tayto on February 09, 2007, 05:16:36 PM
All finished in a mad rush at the end there with one or two games over the summer, floodlight matches, midweek matches, fixtures for friday evenings, final on a monday night. not exactly ideal.

i read somewhere that Mayo have drawn up a new club season where the league gets played during the summer without inter-county players, or something like that, sounds like a plan to me.

Most of the rush at the end was due to the Na Fianna V St Oliver Plunketts/Eoghan Ruadh dispute  and the Kilmacud Crokes V Dublin County board dispute , the rush was to finish in time for the Leinster Championship

theskull1

Not if your allegiences are to your club first. What incentives are there for clubs to produce quality players if they realise they will not represent them at senior level for 80-90% of the season. In club leagues you need their best 15 against your best 15 for it to be interesting. Without that the leagues become glorified friendlies

tayto

Yea but hese disputes seems to be an annual thing!  ;)

Gnevin

Quote from: tayto on February 09, 2007, 05:25:57 PM
Yea but hese disputes seems to be an annual thing!  ;)
Well ones involing Na Fianna anyway  ;D

tayto

Quote from: theskull1 on February 09, 2007, 05:25:16 PM

Not if your allegiences are to your club first. What incentives are there for clubs to produce quality players if they realise they will not represent them at senior level for 80-90% of the season. In club leagues you need their best 15 against your best 15 for it to be interesting. Without that the leagues become glorified friendlies

Well with championships at county and club level all starting to have back doors and league sections somethings got to give.

armaghniac

Emigration is hardly new and people will want to travel the world, even if they might play win an AI medal by staying at home. As to meaningful competitions, the fact is that that the majority of clubs do not have anyone on county teams, most of the cancellations of games etc are for other reasons entirely. You can't just say that inter county players should simply play more games than everyone else. Some lateral thinking is needed to allow players of lesser standard get regular games in the good weather, even if these are street leagues etc.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Gnevin

Quote from: tayto on February 09, 2007, 05:28:57 PM
Quote from: theskull1 on February 09, 2007, 05:25:16 PM

Well with championships at county and club level all starting to have back doors and league sections somethings got to give.

Tayto is right you cant have 30 lads holding up over 3000 . Counties should be punished for shutting down their club games while the championship is on