GAA player test positive in drugs test.

Started by youbetterbelieveit, November 17, 2008, 01:35:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

orangeman

Quote from: blanketattack on November 17, 2008, 04:42:52 PM
Thye should have investigated the situation first before making the announcement. Now practically everybody knows who the player is and his reputation will be tarnished even if he does eventually get off.

Good point ! Shit sticks.

JMohan

He needs to be banned for some period - 6 months I'd say.

Why? Because if you don't, every idiot who is taking stuff will use the same excuse he does.

Anyway ... by right he should have known the consequences ... I'd also lay blame at the team Doctors door for not knowing it.

To the guys who asked about ventolin - yes it is prohibited.

orangeman

Quote from: JMohan on November 17, 2008, 04:46:56 PM

Why? Because if you don't, every idiot who is taking stuff will use the same excuse he does.

Anyway ... by right he should have known the consequences ... I'd also lay blame at the team Doctors door for not knowing it.

Would you take his grant money away as well ?

JMohan

Quote from: Aghdavoyle on November 17, 2008, 04:32:29 PM
Quote from: zoyler on November 17, 2008, 03:32:43 PM

To get grants they had to sign up to the antidoping rules but would not and should not have to as amateur players.

Nonsense. the IC players were eligible for the grants for a number of reasons, one of them being that they had already been signed up to international anti doping regulations years before. the GAA sign IC players up to those codes yonks ago.

being prescribed the inhaler doesn't clear you at all. it must be submitted to croke park at the relevent time or is looked upon as manipulation.

lads, there is abuse of performance enhancers out there in our games. there is no doubt in my mind.

I remember hearing Fergus Connolly who trained Derry last year and worked with premeriship soccer teams and rugby say at a seminar a few months ago that this very situation was going to happen ... some poor guy would done for medicine rather than proper drugs
He also metnioned how he had been asked for advice about prohibited substances 4 years ago by a northern coach ... of course it's being used, just not being caught since so few guys are actually being tested.
I feel sorry for this guy, but there needs to be some punishment or it'll turn into a joke.

full back

JMohan

Quote from: orangeman on November 17, 2008, 04:49:49 PM
Quote from: JMohan on November 17, 2008, 04:46:56 PM

Would you take his grant money away as well ?

I prefer to let him off if I'm honest ... I just think that in 2 months time if some guy is failed for a 'real' perfromance ehnacing drug such as ephedrine then we'd have to let him off too .... That's just what I see happening down the line

JMohan

blanketattack

ziggysego

Mick O'Dwyer? I heard he's making a come back, along with Tagh Kennelly.
Testing Accessibility

Teachtaire

There's a very important issue here which people seemed to hav overlooked.

If /When players are given the list of banned substances was the list in Béarla or Gaeilge. The point being that if it was only in Béarla then it was illegal as the players should have been given access to the same documentation as Gaeilge. So, looks like the poor oul Kerryman could get off on a technicality - not that Kerrymen would ever dream of doing such a thing.

Our Nail Loney

JMohan

Quote from: Teachtaire on November 17, 2008, 05:17:26 PM
There's a very important issue here which people seemed to hav overlooked.

If /When players are given the list of banned substances was the list in Béarla or Gaeilge. The point being that if it was only in Béarla then it was illegal as the players should have been given access to the same documentation as Gaeilge. So, looks like the poor oul Kerryman could get off on a technicality - not that Kerrymen would ever dream of doing such a thing.
So he's one of the Gaeltacht lads then?

orangeman

GAA player in positive drug test 

The GAA has confirmed that a sample recently provided by one of its players has tested positive for the use of the banned drug Salbutamol.

Salbutamol is a widely-used treatment for asthma through an inhaler but players are only allowed to take the drug under controlled guidelines.

It was found that there was an adverse finding regarding the use of the substance.

It is believed that the player concerned is from Kerry.

In accordance with the provisions of the Irish Anti-Doping Rules, the GAA are obliged to provisionally suspend the player involved pending the outcome of a hearing of the Anti-Doping Hearings Committee.

A date for this meeting has not yet been scheduled.

The finding will require the player to show that the result was the consequence of the therapeutic use of inhaled Salbutamol.

Ireland rugby player Frankie Sheahan had a similar problem with Salbutamol five years ago and had a two-year ban slapped on him.

However, the ban was reduced to three months on appeal when the Munster hooker claimed he had forgotten to properly inform authorities that he was using a Ventolin inhaler to combat his asthma.

ONeill

Sloppy work altogether. If it was well known what can and cannot be taken, there's no excuse.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.