GAA player test positive in drugs test.

Started by youbetterbelieveit, November 17, 2008, 01:35:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RMDrive

Quote from: Main Street on November 17, 2008, 02:15:02 PM
Quote from: orangeman on November 17, 2008, 02:10:49 PM
A load of balls - the guy has asthma ! No story here lads - move on !
Read the posts, consider the precedents.
The player may well have a case to answer, the GAA is obliged to follow standard Sport discipline in these matters.

There's a story all right. The player has been suspended after all so it's not just idle speculation. And if it kicks off a good debate about performance enhancing drugs in the GAA ... then all the better.

orangeman

Quote from: RMDrive on November 17, 2008, 02:20:22 PM
The player may well have a case to answer, the GAA is obliged to follow standard Sport discipline in these matters.

There's a story all right. The player has been suspended after all so it's not just idle speculation. And if it kicks off a good debate about performance enhancing drugs in the GAA ... then all the better.

How many times have you seen managers running on with an Inhaler to give to lads who are struggling with their conditions ?

SuperDooperCooper

Jesus - this year keeps getting worse.
Hopefully nothing sinister involved, however, ignorane can hardly be a defence after the Frankie Sheehan affair.
The player is entitled to a proper defence but if found guilty he deserves any ban coming his way.
On a broader note, hopefully the indiclipne shown (throughout) this year will be a bad memory now that Jack is back.

RMDrive

Quote from: orangeman on November 17, 2008, 02:22:15 PM
Quote from: RMDrive on November 17, 2008, 02:20:22 PM

How many times have you seen managers running on with an Inhaler to give to lads who are struggling with their conditions ?

As I said earlier I'm sure it is just a mistake and that the player has no case to answer. I just don't think that it should be ignored, cause as Main Street said, the GAA must follow the correct procedure and show that it can deal with a case like this. And I honestly believe that a good debate now on drug use will benefit the GAA in the long run. Better than waiting for a serious failure at any rate.

southoftheborder

Quote from: Franko on November 17, 2008, 02:02:58 PM
Intercounty GAA players are presented with a fact sheet written by the Irish Sports Council every year which clearly outlines the substances which are not allowed.  Anyone playing at the top level should be careful enough to ensure they are not taking any substance mentioned on this.

Untrue, totally untrue

Doogie Browser

i am sure this is a nothing story and have no doubt there is nothing untoward about it, but the redtops will have a field day, 'drug cheat' headlines nonsense etc. 

johnneycool

Quote from: southoftheborder on November 17, 2008, 03:13:52 PM
Quote from: Franko on November 17, 2008, 02:02:58 PM
Intercounty GAA players are presented with a fact sheet written by the Irish Sports Council every year which clearly outlines the substances which are not allowed.  Anyone playing at the top level should be careful enough to ensure they are not taking any substance mentioned on this.

Untrue, totally untrue

I was handed one in my day but I don't think it was handed round every year though..

zoyler

Old proverb - When you take the shilling you follow the drum!!

To get grants they had to sign up to the antidoping rules but would not and should not have to as amateur players.

I have no doubt it is accidental use through an inhaler oe some such but at the time this was introduced I was against it as an infringment of the rights of individuals.

RMDrive

Quote from: johnneycool on November 17, 2008, 03:30:33 PM
I was handed one in my day but I don't think it was handed round every year though..

Are you talking "Pass the Dutchie on the Left Hand Side" or are you taking about the banned substances sheet?  ;)

Gnevin

We will see what the GAA's anti doping scheme is made of now
Anyway, long story short... is a phrase whose origins are complicated and rambling.

Canalman

A serious wake up call I'm afraid for all inter county footballers. The flipside for accepting the Govt grants and very serious for any young player's job prospects.
Am usually sanguine about any Kerry problems but I really feel sorry for this guy as he is going to face some serious media flak shortly.

Aghdavoyle

Quote from: zoyler on November 17, 2008, 03:32:43 PM

To get grants they had to sign up to the antidoping rules but would not and should not have to as amateur players.

Nonsense. the IC players were eligible for the grants for a number of reasons, one of them being that they had already been signed up to international anti doping regulations years before. the GAA sign IC players up to those codes yonks ago.

being prescribed the inhaler doesn't clear you at all. it must be submitted to croke park at the relevent time or is looked upon as manipulation.

lads, there is abuse of performance enhancers out there in our games. there is no doubt in my mind.

ziggysego

Sounds to me it's harmless. A genuine mistake by an asmatic player. Hopefully it would be sorted out quickly and cleaning, without dragging the player's name through the mud.
Testing Accessibility

orangeman

It's an inhaler for God's sake - that's all ! It's not cocaine !

blanketattack

Thye should have investigated the situation first before making the announcement. Now practically everybody knows who the player is and his reputation will be tarnished even if he does eventually get off.