GAA player test positive in drugs test.

Started by youbetterbelieveit, November 17, 2008, 01:35:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

youbetterbelieveit

The GAA has confirmed that a sample recently provided by one of its players as part of the Irish Sports Council's Anti-Doping Programme has revealed an adverse analytical finding regarding the use of Salbutamol.

The finding will require the player to show that the result was the consequence of the therapeutic use of inhaled Salbutamol.

Salbutamol is a commonly prescribed treatment for asthma, but it is a banned substance, and players are only allowed to take the drug under strictly controlled guidelines.

The player involved has not been named.

In accordance with the provisions of the Irish Anti-Doping Rules, the GAA are obliged to provisionally suspend the player involved pending the outcome of a hearing of the Anti-Doping Hearings Committee.

A date for this meeting has not yet been scheduled

his holiness nb

Are these rules for intercounty players only?

I've been playing for years and have never once been told of a list of banned substances that could get you in trouble.
Whatever about performance enhancing stuff, thats general cop on, but the likes of commonly prescribed asthma treatments??
I wonder how aware all the intercounty players are of what they can and cant take.

Ask me holy bollix

Minder

If the player has "knowingly" taken a banned substance the blame would have to lie squarely with, in no particular order, Nelson Mc Causland, Gregory Campbell & the BBC/ITV.
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

Final Whistle

Kerry player fails drugs test
17 November 2008

A leading Kerry footballer could be facing a ban from the game after failing a drugs test.

It's understood that the case relates to a product taken for the treatment of asthma, rather than a performance-enhancing substance. The unnamed player was drug-tested after one of the Kingdom's championship matches in Croke Park this summer and while stressing he knew "very little" about the case, Kerry chairman Jerome Conway confirmed that it involved a Kerry player.

This is the first time an inter-county star has tested positive since the GAA signed up to the anti-doping code in 2001, and is certain to send shockwaves throughout the Association. However, given the apparent innocent nature of the breach, it remains to be seen what suspension, if any, will be imposed when the investigation is brought to a conclusion.

A statement released by Croke Park on the matter read: "The GAA has confirmed that a sample recently provided by one of its players as part of the Irish Sports Council's Anti-Doping programme has revealed an adverse analytical finding regarding the therapeutic use of Salbutamol, which will require the player to show that the result was the consequence of the therapeutic use of inhaled Salbutamol."

"In accordance with the provisions of the Irish Anti-Doping Rules, the GAA are obliged to provisionally suspend the player involved pending the outcome of a hearing of the Anti-Doping Hearings Committee. A date for this meeting has not yet been scheduled.

"The GAA will not be making any further comment on the matter until such time as the hearings process is complete."

Under Rule 14 of the GAA's Official Guide, the GAA "forbids the use of prohibited substances or methods, a practice generally known as doping in sport."

The Gaelic Players' Association has declined to comment, while Dr Una May, the Sports Council's anti-doping programme manager, said: "The Sports Council would never make any comments on rumours or anything else."

RMDrive

A Kerry player according to reports. I'm sure it will turn out to be an inhaler issue and will all be sorted without any problems.

Final Whistle

agreed, rather harsh if its asthma related and therefore a non-story!!! >:( >:(

Main Street

"It's understood that the case relates to a product taken for the treatment of asthma, rather than a performance-enhancing substance"

If the player has asthma and is prescribed the medicine by an MD and all that has been made public to the relevant GAA authorities, then the player is in the clear.
If not, then he is in the soup.

There is a so called "performance-enhancing substance"  present in Asthma medicine.  The inhalers contain steroids and/or other ingredients to effect an action on the breathing capacity.

AZOffaly

Are the players provided with a 'proscribed' list of substances and products? I think they are.

If the player was given that, and ignored it, or was careless, then he's in trouble.

Main Street

Is not knowing an acceptable excuse?

A rugby player for Munster got busted for a similar offense, he was prescribed it afair but he didn't inform the IRFU.
Got a lesser ban I think.

Does Ventolin need a prescription?

Franko

Intercounty GAA players are presented with a fact sheet written by the Irish Sports Council every year which clearly outlines the substances which are not allowed.  Anyone playing at the top level should be careful enough to ensure they are not taking any substance mentioned on this.

AZOffaly

Quote from: Main Street on November 17, 2008, 02:00:37 PM
Is not knowing an acceptable excuse?

A rugby player for Munster got busted for a similar offense, he was prescribed it afair but he didn't inform the IRFU.
Got a lesser ban I think.

Does Ventolin need a prescription?

I don't think ignorance can be treated as defence, because it's very hard to prove you didn't know. Especially if they do get these sheets of substances and products they need to avoid.

Having said that, if a GP has prescribed something, it would at least be understandable, and probably mitigate the ban. If it's something he took himself, off his own bat, then I'd be afraid that he might get a harsh ban, even if it is an honest mistake.

orangeman

A load of balls - the guy has asthma ! No story here lads - move on !

BallyhaiseMan

Wasnt there an article a year or two ago, Posted on here whereby a leading Doctor admitted that he was contacted by some  "Top" IC GAA players and asked would they be alright for a test a few months after using banned substances,
Unfortunately as the Inter County game gets more and more competitive there will be players looking for that extra edge.

Main Street

Quote from: orangeman on November 17, 2008, 02:10:49 PM
A load of balls - the guy has asthma ! No story here lads - move on !
Read the posts, consider the precedents.
The player may well have a case to answer, the GAA is obliged to follow standard Sport discipline in these matters.

Declan

It could be a simple error alright but it's amazing how many high performing athletes are asthmatic - Is it a higher percentage than of the general population I wonder?