Technique in hurling - how important is it?

Started by qwerty123, October 18, 2011, 11:22:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

qwerty123

How important do you think technique in hurling is?

I'm thinking specifically about striking out of the hand - how do you teach kids the right way to strike a ball, using the wrists, straight through the ball, not striking below the ball.  Does anyone know of any in-depth studies on the mechanics of the swing?  Is U14 too late to start on striking technique?

I read the coaching points about striking on the GAA coaching website and I thought it was brushed over so quickly for one of the fundamentals of the game.  I think if coaches are to teach the skills properly, an in-depth description should be given, even if most of this information isn't passed onto the kids for fear of information overload.  This would give the coach more confidence, perhaps to
This is one of the 4 points given:
Step forward with the lead foot and swing the Hurley downward. Strike the sliotar at knee height.
swing the hurley downward - is this right, should it the player not be striking straight through the ball?
Strike the sliotar at knee height - What?! Should it not be nearer the shoulder?

Now, I understand that different situations call for different kinds of strikes, but should the most common one not be taught on the GAA website - I try to get rid of that striking in a U-motion as much as I can.

Good drills for teaching technique?/How do you teach it?

My own club don't tend to produce many great ball strikers (either distance or speed of strike) - any good drills to help with long distance/quick striking?

Milltown Row2

Technique is important but it can be taught through training one on one, coaching and encouragement. Also important that they get results from changing their style otherwise they will fall back to the 'easy' way.

The reason they probably brushed over it is because most kids will develop their own style, many famous hurlers out their have been successfull playing with unusual styles, the wristy hurlers always get the plaudits but very rarely will you get 15 wristy hurlers on the pitch.

Kids watch the good hurlers in their club and try to copy the skills from them, I still watch the county hurlers and apply some of those skills in a match so there is no age limit to developing/improving the basic skills they already have.

As for the knee/shoulder height strikes, kids should be taught all the different strikes as they will need them in games, if you have a feeling that you'll get hook them a high strike of shoulder height can be used, or for distance, striking from the knee, or running and striking should be hit from the waist.

For young lads they need to have the hurl in their hands every day, using the first touch balls they should be hitting the ball off their back/gable wall all the time, during the summer I would have came home from worked and hit the ball a hundred times before either training or games. Give them a programme, fifty of the left hand 50 of the right hand, striking and trapping the ball on the stick and finish off with striking on the ground.
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

qwerty123

Some interesting points about the position the ball should be struck at for different occasions, hurling is so quick and fluid that it throws so many different situations at a play / on the back foot/with or against the breeze/pressure from opponents/distance they wnat the ball to go.

I wasn't at all suggesting that the strike from the shoulder is the only way and like you say some of the top players have different ways of striking -Aidan Fogarty etc.  I remember a full forward on a KK minor team a few years ago had a strange way of striking, can't remember his name but q similar to Fogarty. I was only highlighting this particular one as it is the one that most kids in our club seem to struggle with - they tend to use the U-shaped strike in all situations and so don't strike through the ball when passing a short distance, they tap it and usually doesn't reach/go quick enough to hand.

Results are the main thing - if they make the pass at a good pace/get the distance I don't think a coach should intervene, but a lot of the time they limit what they can do by poor technique - throwing the ball too close/positiong of feet/poor follow through. 

Just starting to get ready for U14s next year and so much to think about - would you to do any speed work with them at that age-  ladders etc?  Not fussed on them, as it tends to keep their heads to the ground, but if you don't teach them agility, speed etc, they sure as hell won't learn them from Xbox and Playstations!

Any good info on games situations to use?  I still believe drills have a part to play - touch etc, but people are siding with games more and more now.
I find it difficult, if you see a weakness in their team play, how to get a drill/game based scenario to help to rectify it - any suggestions?

Milltown Row2

Start off with getting them indoors over the winter and drills say on the pitch Sunday mornings. Conditioned games with smaller pitch and certain rules attached to the game, 3 second release of the ball, three passes before scoring, no running with ball on stick.

When the summer comes (harder pitch) then you can do a lot more, games, drills and tournaments are great for the team also.

Main thing at this level (for me) is to have plenty of people giving you a hand, you set up the drills and make sure they are being carried out. Monitor progress and give feedback.

If this is your first year with them get them to work to a style of play and stick to it, play to your strengths and work hard on the weak links of the team
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

qwerty123

A style of play at U14?  Is that not too early to restrict them, although it's better that they get some sort of structure into their play as early as possible I suppose.  What things could I expect of them at that age?

So many things to work on, particularly on developing forwards, movement and creating space, ball winners!  Any tips?

Is there any sites on the web that would help with any of this?  I know this is a GAA discussion board, but it's not particularly geared towards coaching.

Thanks for all the help, by the way, a great start for me here just to get my head around a few things.

Milltown Row2

Start as you mean to go on

Style of play is very important, cross field balls, short play, first time hurling, running game, I know you are working with under 14's who by the sounds of it have difficult maybe with the correct striking and so but there are clubs out there, at that age group, playing to systems!!

Our under 8 manager has instilled over the last few years to his charges a game plan, and method of play already. They are positioning themselves up front where their defence should be striking the ball, support play (like football) were the hand pass out of defence to a free man for clearances.

Having looked after juvenile teams for a number of years I can tell you it's hard work and little reward but when they stick at it and make it on the senior team then it's been worthwile. Yes success is great and that's were you enter or run tournaments with teams of the same quality. They will talk about them forever.

As for forwards making space or ball winners, at that age the big guy in FF who can win ball is a big plus, again drills where he has to contend for the dropping ball under pressure will bring him on, play generally heads down the middle at that age group so most teams play their best players through the middle. Fast wristy hurlers in the corners can get the scores.

I'm taking a break from looking after teams (recharge the batteries) but will certainly be looking to take teams in the future

qwerty123

That's one thing that annoys me, super competitive coaches who make development/enjoyment harder for kids and they end up throwing the head up.  Some kids are just plain hard work, but as I've learned, you sometimes don't know their background and problems outside of the pitch.

I think I'd like them to get to grips with game sense and their positioning quite early.  Can be difficult re the breaking ball, you'd always like your CHB covering the break ball behind his two HBs and giving cover to the FB line, like a sweeper - difficult to do when the puckouts won't reach the halfway line! (That's how I'd see the role of the CHB, anyhow).  Problem with this is that it can leave the CHF free, maybe a job for the midfield etc. to cover.

I want to be able to give them good informative feedback, not just work harder, keep at it - so if they have a game plan at least there is a yardstick with which to judge their performances on. 

How would you see the role of the midfielder - hold the midfield, work between the two 45s, i suppose you wouldn't want them much deeper than that?

Sorry for all the questions!

Lots to think and ponder, will need to start getting organised, looking forward to it, but apprehensive too!

Milltown Row2

Usually the two main positions are the midfield and CHB, unlike football at that age the ball will (provided its evenly matched teams) will move quickly between the forwards and backs. so the midfielders and CHB will be on the ball a lot, and generally whack the ball as hard as they can.

Just get them to left their heads and get them to have a look, they will be surprised at how long they will get to release a good forward pass. Goalkeeping is another big position. Big puck outs are required and he also needs separate drills on goalkeeping. But encourage him to do all the drills also as he maybe asked upon during the game to come and claim ball.

The feedback is important I've refereed a right few games this year and the abuse directed at players from their own coaches borders on child abuse. I've actually warned a manager I'll send him to the line should he continue with it.

Constructive but you still need to be direct and honest with them

theskull1

Some important things regading the strike

Shoulders should be side on to the intended direction of travel of the ball

Stick should be pointing straight  (alot of young kids start the swing with the stick face down which stops them using their wrists to generate the "whip" in the swing)

Position of the hand holding the stick (relative to the torso). Very important to generate power by twisting the torso and the proper positioning of the hand (prior to tossing the ball) creates the twist needed

Ball should be tossed forward rather than straight out. Tossing straight out (perpendicular to the torso) screws up/closes off the swing. Throwing it out (kind of at a 45 degree angle) encourages the player to "dance" in towards the ball
It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

johnneycool

throwing the ball slightly forward is a must as it teaches youngsters to step into the ball and more importantly when striking the ball on the run, a skill sadly lacking in a lot of hurlers in Down.