The IRISH RUGBY thread

Started by Donnellys Hollow, October 27, 2009, 05:26:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Itchy

Who are we likely to play in the world cup final?

markl121

Quote from: Itchy on October 03, 2019, 01:48:25 PM
Who are we likely to play in the world cup final?
japan, the rematch

highorlow

QuoteWho are we likely to play in the world cup final?

Brazil or Germany
They get momentum, they go mad, here they go

screenexile

Quote from: grounded on October 03, 2019, 01:36:28 PM
Do Ireland qualify if they beat Samoa with a bonus point? What are the possible permutations given scotland now play Japan?

Strange we haven't had a full team on yet and haven't really executed the last 2 games.

You're kind of hoping the lads are keeping plenty back for the Quarter Final but would they really do that?? Can you afford to do it??

I hope so but it's hardly something you can count on.

Captain Scarlet

I don't know how we have any right to hold anything back after losing to Japan.
Even today they were very poor for swathes of the game. There is no way we are going to turn a switch when a Tier 1 team comes for us.

Also we are so slow and predictable. Can we not try to mix it up a bit more. Throwing the ball around after 75 minutes v Russia isn't worth a shite.
them mysterons are always killing me but im grand after a few days.sickenin aul dose all the same.

oliverkelly

Quote from: JPGJOHNNYG on October 01, 2019, 08:32:37 PM
Quote from: Hound on October 01, 2019, 08:25:40 PM
Quote from: magpie seanie on October 01, 2019, 02:28:24 PM
Quote from: Hound on September 30, 2019, 03:07:04 PM
Still reckon we'll top the group.
So long at it's not too hot/humid, Japan style of play will actually suit the Scots.

Managing Sexton is key. Him being fit for the QF is more important than who we face. I'd play him against Russia, to get gametime under the belt, but leave him out for Samoa - not worth risking injury against those hoors! Let Carberry have that start, with an otherwise full team. Murray really needs to step up his leadership when Sexton's not there. Of all the disappointing performances on Saturday, he was the biggest disappointment.

My outlandish prediction for the QF is that Ringrose starts on the wing. (Assuming we've two other fit centres!). Two of Farrell, Aki, Henshaw to start. Between Larmour and Earls for the bench place, most likely Earls.
Jordi Murphy might not be far away from the team either, if he has the impact I expect him to have.

Why Carbery? I didn't see the Japan game but didn't Carty play pretty well and Carbery, em, didn't?
Not unlike a lot of players, Carty played very well in the first half, but was awful in the second. Carberry was also poor, but it was his first game in ages.
Bringing 3 10s means it makes sense to play your first choice twice and the other pair, once each. Then, based on form, Schmidt can decide who should be bench for the QF.

Carty had a penalty early on and instead of taking the points or the easy kick into the corner he tried the cross kick to Earls. You only try that hail mary shit when you have a penalty to fall back on not INSTEAD of the penalty. Needed a kick up the hole for that alone

Any comment on Sexton doing the same thing today?

RedHand88

Quote from: t_mac on October 03, 2019, 01:08:33 PM
Russia must be awesome.

Russia were awesome
The conditions didn't suit Ireland.
It's only been 5 days since the last game.
The ball was oval.

Gmac

The quarter final is all that matters to Ireland, it doesn't matter how they get there or who they play they have to target that game and make it to a semi and anything can happen then , they are a bit unlucky with their opponents being nz or sa but that's the way it is , hopefully the longer they are there the more they get accustomed to the humidity and on their day they are a match for anyone .

Itchy

They very unlucky with the slippy ball too, coming from a country with such a dry climate makes it very difficult to handle wet ball.

thewobbler

Jesus the snipers are out.

Like when EOS was complaining that Ireland should have won by 40-50 points, I wonder whether he then would have been happy if Ringrose had have made a clean take in the 79th minute?

Knocking their pan out in this game made no sense. Putting significant mental gymnastics into this game made no sense. Putting your body on the lines in this game made no sense. They did what was needed and did it with plenty of time to spare.

Capt Pat

I wonder if Eddie O'Sullivan had any explanation for why Ireland didn't put 40 or 50 points on Georgia and Namibia in 2007. Still no explanation for the poor performances in that world cup 12 years later.

johnnycool

Quote from: thewobbler on October 03, 2019, 07:19:45 PM
Jesus the snipers are out.

Like when EOS was complaining that Ireland should have won by 40-50 points, I wonder whether he then would have been happy if Ringrose had have made a clean take in the 79th minute?

Knocking their pan out in this game made no sense. Putting significant mental gymnastics into this game made no sense. Putting your body on the lines in this game made no sense. They did what was needed and did it with plenty of time to spare.

I'd agree with most of that but I'm not sure that when the big game comes in two weekends time that you can suddenly turn a switch on and suddenly hit peak performance against either SA or New Zealand.

The spark isn't there at the minute and like you I hope that they can go up a few cogs in performance come the time.

seafoid

they are too dependent on Mr Sexton . When he goes off they don't know what to do
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Tony Baloney

The Italian anthem, and the player reaction, always a reminder that Ireland's Call doesn't really cut it.

screenexile

Quote from: Tony Baloney on October 04, 2019, 10:45:20 AM
The Italian anthem, and the player reaction, always a reminder that Ireland's Call doesn't really cut it.

What a load of nonsense... they're professional athletes representing their country do they need a song to make them play better??