Movie recommendations

Started by corn02, October 23, 2007, 10:13:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Main Street

Quote from: lurganblue on November 18, 2019, 10:25:41 AM
Quote from: themac_23 on November 18, 2019, 09:56:23 AM
Quote from: Main Street on November 17, 2019, 10:29:26 PM
Quote from: lurganblue on November 17, 2019, 08:24:17 AM
Went to see The Irishman last night.  First off, I have read the book "I heard you paint houses" and I was very excited for this film.  A word to the wise, don't bring your lady friend to see it... they wont thank you for it.  It's slow and it is too long.  It's the first time in quite a while that I have seen people get up and leave half way through or even just fall asleep.

Having said all that, I did enjoy it.  I enjoyed the acting.  I enjoyed seeing these legends back on screen and interacting again in a mobster film.  I enjoyed seeing the story I had read come to life.  Yes, it is certainly no Goodfellas.

The killing scenes are quick, cold and brutal. Fascinating.

On a side note I thought Stephen Graham was excellent again.
The book is a direct witness and gives account to major headlines of post WW2 American history, the rise of trade unions, the enigmatic Jimmy Hoffa, the Mafia, Cuba, Castro The Bay of Pigs, Bobby Kennedy, JFK/Dallas  After the Hoffa hit, the Mafia as it was known was eventually dismembered  by the FBI. 
The Goodfellas might well be a better film even a classic, but essentially that story is just about three scúmbag gangsters with little significance in the scheme of things outside of the heist and Jimmy's partiality to gruesome murder being the solution for all ailments.

Agreed, i found the film easy to follow because id read the book and it gripped me, after i read the book a few years ago i done some research on Jimmy Hoffa and his 'disappearance' so when the film was announced i was delighted, personally i found it easy to follow and had a good idea what was going on plus i thought the acting was top class. Id say if you didnt have an idea of the background to the film and the story and were just going to see a simple gangster film then it woulda been hard to follow.

Yeah I think that's going to be the problem with a lot of people.  Theyre gonna struggle with the flow and the story, not being able to enjoy the acting because of this.
I finally watched it last night with a person who hadn't read the book but who rated the film as one of Scorcese's best. Though in the post film chat there were many gaps to be filled, which clarified the on screen events.
The age thing did peeve me a bit,  in all scenes up to the hit on Hoffa, De Niro looked about 20 years older than Frank Sheeran was at the time.
Questionable in my mind was that Jimmy Hoffa's  stepson was put in as the driver of the car taking Jimmy to his death. Even if one accepts the film was allowed a leeway with the facts,  the stepson would have been disappeared as well in the film. If in real life Jimmy's stepson had been the driver, then he would have been a direct witness to Jimmy's last journey alive.

The soundtrack was brilliant and the chrome? there was a lot of chrome.

under the bar

Is it just Netflix or is the CGI in The Irishman horrific?

under the bar

The beating up the grocer scene was as bad acting as Big Daddy v Haystacks!  ;D :-X

Main Street

The de ageing was out by 20 or so years, a 30year old looked like 50 years old but moved like a 70 years old. It was a distraction but just in passing. 

screenexile

Quote from: under the bar on November 30, 2019, 12:26:14 AM
The beating up the grocer scene was as bad acting as Big Daddy v Haystacks!  ;D :-X

Horrible scene you'd think Scorsese the one of the greatest directors of our time would have picked up how shitty it looked!!

Main Street

Quote from: screenexile on November 30, 2019, 12:58:33 AM

Horrible scene you'd think Scorsese the one of the greatest directors of our time would have picked up how shitty it looked!!
I picked up that it looked shitty because Frank brought his daughter along to witness his parental prowess.

under the bar

I've seen better acting at the Craic Theatre in Coalisland!

lurganblue

Quote from: under the bar on December 01, 2019, 08:42:49 PM

I've seen better acting at the Craic Theatre in Coalisland!

In fairness they put on a good show there

nrico2006

It was confusing as hell with De Niro trying to play a younger man, hadn't a clue what age he was meant to be at the various stages of the film.  Enjoyed it though, very good show.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

Captain Obvious

The Taking of Pelham One Two Three (1974 film) was on TV the other night. Watched it before but forgot how much a classic it was, right down to the last scene.

theticklemister

Quote from: Captain Obvious on December 11, 2019, 05:27:59 PM
The Taking of Pelham One Two Three (1974 film) was on TV the other night. Watched it before but forgot how much a classic it was, right down to the last scene.

Excellent

The latest one was a big pile of pish

gallsman

Knives Out is fantastic. Highly recommend.

themac_23

Quote from: gallsman on December 14, 2019, 12:55:06 AM

agreed, went and seen it last night, enjoyable and well paced. Enjoyed Daniel Craig in it in a completely different role, def recommend it

Tony Baloney

Yes, really enjoyed it. The missus insisted on us taking the kids to see Jumanji last week and it was full of wee cnuts, so I took myself to the screen next door to watch Knives Out. Great stuff.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Tony Baloney on December 14, 2019, 08:54:25 AM
Yes, really enjoyed it. The missus insisted on us taking the kids to see Jumanji last week and it was full of wee cnuts, so I took myself to the screen next door to watch Knives Out. Great stuff.

Father of the year stuff there!
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea