Under 8's / 10's query

Started by The Gs Man, March 11, 2014, 08:50:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Gs Man

Just a bit of a straw poll here if you please for those involved in underage football.

If your club participates in small blitz type tournaments or Go Games are the teams made up by birth year or Primary school year? Is this consistent across your County?

Would you have a preference? Does it really matter in the grand scheme of things?
Keep 'er lit

DownFanatic

In Down it is operated at U8.5 and U10.5 level. That is in line with our school system. U8.5 is P3 and P4 and U10.5 is P5 and P6.

AZOffaly

Farrandeelin

Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

Club Rossa

The Insider

Longford , birth year Jan 1. But never heard any of any official queries about any players age 

The Gs Man

Thanks for the replies lads. Looks like it varies across Counties.

Has your County Board set the age rule or does it just depend on the rules set down by the club hosting the Blitz/Games?
Keep 'er lit

BarryBreensBandage

Quote from: The Gs Man on March 11, 2014, 10:09:26 PM

Has your County Board set the age rule or does it just depend on the rules set down by the club hosting the Blitz/Games?

The Down county board changed it to primary school year last year, some of the reasons being that you didn't have a separation of school friends at underage level which could lead to losing some children if their mates weren't going to the same training as them, and that Armagh clubs were Primary School year. With the increasing number of blitzes being open to both counties, it was decided that it was fairer if all clubs were playing like for like.
I think this took about five years to get county board approval, although some clubs took the issue into their own hands long before that.

"Some people say I am indecisive..... maybe I am, maybe I'm not".

cluaineois

Quote from: The Insider on March 11, 2014, 09:37:35 PM
Longford , birth year Jan 1. But never heard any of any official queries about any players age

Ditto in Monaghan
once your a clone your never alone

AZOffaly

Quote from: The Gs Man on March 11, 2014, 10:09:26 PM

County Board I believe, but to be honest nobody pays any attention as such. It's just a logical grouping that becomes more important at U14 etc. If we had a lad who was 8 and a bit, but was beginning to hurl, I'd have no problem him playing with 7 year olds until he felt a bit more comfortable.

Hound

Calendar year in Dublin, though not sure when it starts being policed.
I'm involved in underage soccer rather than GAA, but its does seem a more lacksadasical affair in the GAA. In soccer they've introduced identity type cards which makes it much more difficult to play bangers.

AZOffaly

Quote from: Hound on March 12, 2014, 09:22:44 AM
I'm involved in underage soccer rather than GAA, but its does seem a more lacksadasical affair in the GAA. In soccer they've introduced identity type cards which makes it much more difficult to play bangers.

Why would you play a banger at U8 or U10, or even under 12 if it's go games/blitz type format? sorry, I phrased that wrong. I suppose I meant a) You wouldn't do it to win the games and b) Would the opposition care? Unless they're togging out lads that are shaving and there's a risk of a child getting hurt, why would you bother. And there's little to be gained by doing it anyway.

magpie seanie

Quote from: AZOffaly on March 12, 2014, 09:23:41 AM

Why would you play a banger at U8 or U10, or even under 12 if it's go games/blitz type format? sorry, I phrased that wrong. I suppose I meant a) You wouldn't do it to win the games and b) Would the opposition care? Unless they're togging out lads that are shaving and there's a risk of a child getting hurt, why would you bother. And there's little to be gained by doing it anyway.

I'm sure though you know how competitive some eejits get, even at U-8 level. Not necessarily doing anything illegal but often the spirit of the Go Games is not foremost in minds, sadly.

In Sligo it's year of birth.

Bingo

Quote from: AZOffaly on March 12, 2014, 09:23:41 AM

Trust me it happens.

Very common in challenge games even where a few lads are overage "to make up the numbers".

AZOffaly

But again, why would you really care at that age? A 9 year old playing with 8s might win the game, but a) who cares and b) why would you bother if you didn't need to make up numbers.