Strategic Review of Gaelic Games in Laois 2017

Started by redsetanta, July 07, 2017, 12:14:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

steven seagal

I don't think Portlaoise, or the other clubs in the parish for that matter, are even scratching the surface of the amount of players that could play GAA. All of their grounds are outside the town, so the only ones who play are the ones who can get a lift out. A club within walking distance for a few hundred children has a great chance of attracting numbers, in my opinion anyway, so long as it is run properly. There are a lot of non-irish in Portlaoise who don't know the first thing about the GAA or have the interest, but that's not to say their children wouldn't like to play a game if it's on their doorstep, fun and well-organised, especially over the summer when there's no soccer, rugby or basketball. It's a massive task to try and get it setup and find people to run it, but it's definitely worth a try. The numbers in the primary schools in the town alone would suggest that.

Don Draper

Quote from: steven seagal on January 09, 2018, 10:41:20 AM
I don't think Portlaoise, or the other clubs in the parish for that matter, are even scratching the surface of the amount of players that could play GAA. All of their grounds are outside the town, so the only ones who play are the ones who can get a lift out. A club within walking distance for a few hundred children has a great chance of attracting numbers, in my opinion anyway, so long as it is run properly. There are a lot of non-irish in Portlaoise who don't know the first thing about the GAA or have the interest, but that's not to say their children wouldn't like to play a game if it's on their doorstep, fun and well-organised, especially over the summer when there's no soccer, rugby or basketball. It's a massive task to try and get it setup and find people to run it, but it's definitely worth a try. The numbers in the primary schools in the town alone would suggest that.
Spot on Master of Aikido. Portlaoise don't need to dig deeper, they are happy to cream the top and let the rest drift off to soccer and rugby, and then turn around and say "but they love playing soccer and rugby", after not getting a chance play GAA any higher than U6.

Thats not what the association is about. To Peter O Neill's credit, he's harped on about this at length. I hope he follows through on it. We need to give every youngster the opportunity to play GAA into their teens, after that, the decision should be theirs. Not made for them because they can't get out to Rathleague, or when they do, they've spent the day freezing their little nuts off on the sideline. This is bigger than Portlaoise GAA.

BallyroanAbu

I enjoyed the presentation last night,  I suppose the formation of a second club in Portlaoise was always going to be the headline issue.  I can see the merit in the proposal,the surge in population growth over the last 15 years is incredible.  Personally I thought they would shy away from the issue and some watered down version i.e the promotion of Ballyfin, Ratheniska & The Heath would be seen as the solution.  While I agree anyone who wants to play GAA in Portlaoise is probably playing however I would see a second club as an opportunity to promote the games among those who may not have had any previous interaction with the GAA.  It is an exciting opportunity for the County Board to grasp and the competition may actually enhance Portlaoise GAA.  Hopefully Laois GAA do not let this slide as it would be nice to see the formation of a viable club in the face of the decline of some rural clubs.  The danger lies in the Training Centre because the County Board is so tunnelled visioned with regards to the repayments on this they may not allocate the resources needed to the promotion of this Club that would allow it to flourish.

I would also like to mention the proposal to allow both Ladies Football and Camogie a firmer standing within the county as a major positive, it is criminal that the Ladies County Teams and finals are not played in O Moore Park.  It may not be feasible at juvenile but there is no justification at Senior Level.

redsetanta

It's a no brainer really that there should be a GDA and coaching manager overseeing the work the GDA's are doing. Why this hasn't been done up to now is crazy. It has meant that coaches not working up to scratch are left go unquestioned and as has been stated in the report others are being overworked. The fact that it is disorganised with no clear goals or targets or schedules means the GDA's are basically having to make it up as they go.
The real glory is being knocked to your knees and then coming back. That's real glory. VinceLombardi

The PRO

Quote from: BallyroanAbu on January 09, 2018, 10:49:14 AM
I would also like to mention the proposal to allow both Ladies Football and Camogie a firmer standing within the county as a major positive, it is criminal that the Ladies County Teams and finals are not played in O Moore Park.  It may not be feasible at juvenile but there is no justification at Senior Level.
Fair enough but it would be nice of the Ladies Football and Camogie people to meet the GAA a bit on it. They refuse to come into the GAA yet want all the benefits of their infrastructure.

Don Draper

Quote from: The PRO on January 09, 2018, 04:08:27 PM
Quote from: BallyroanAbu on January 09, 2018, 10:49:14 AM
Fair enough but it would be nice of the Ladies Football and Camogie people to meet the GAA a bit on it. They refuse to come into the GAA yet want all the benefits of their infrastructure.
You've f**king nailed it there.

BallyroanAbu

They are our Moms, Wives, Girlfriends, Sisters & Daughters playing the same sport, I think we need to accommodate within reason.  There is a large amount of females keeping the GAA going.   We simply have to show a bit of leadership here and give them a helping hand.  I would be disappointed if this simple commitment is not met.

The PRO

Quote from: BallyroanAbu on January 09, 2018, 04:25:19 PM
They are our Moms, Wives, Girlfriends, Sisters & Daughters playing the same sport, I think we need to accommodate within reason.  There is a large amount of females keeping the GAA going.   We simply have to show a bit of leadership here and give them a helping hand.  I would be disappointed if this simple commitment is not met.
The large amount of females keeping the GAA going is not in question but it's not relevant either.
I've no problem with the LGFA and Camogie using the GAA grounds but they seem to want their cake and eat it by staying outside the GAA.

Don Draper

Quote from: BallyroanAbu on January 09, 2018, 04:25:19 PM
They are. But their organisation needs sorting out, and for sometime now. Anyone who says Ladies Football or Camogie aren't a shambles locally and nationally has their heads in the sand.

clonadmad

https://www.laoistoday.ie/2018/01/09/high-number-laois-gaa-clubs-fear-extinction-next-decade

Who are the clubs in trouble,

Trumera?
Kilcavan?

Fair play to them for highlighting the issues facing them,hopefully their decline can be arrested

The PRO

Quote from: clonadmad on January 09, 2018, 10:09:13 PM
https://www.laoistoday.ie/2018/01/09/high-number-laois-gaa-clubs-fear-extinction-next-decade

Trumera?
Kilcavan?

Fair play to them for highlighting the issues facing them,hopefully their decline can be arrested
Kilcavan are picking up at juvenile level. They'll be OK.
Trumera and Kyle are my guesses. I can't see the ten that was reported though. Barrowhouse?

clonadmad

Quote from: The PRO on January 09, 2018, 10:47:04 PM
Quote from: clonadmad on January 09, 2018, 10:09:13 PM

Trumera?
Kilcavan?

Kilcavan are picking up at juvenile level. They'll be OK.
Trumera and Kyle are my guesses. I can't see the ten that was reported though. Barrowhouse?

It was the clubs themselves that signaled their difficulties in playing numbers in the survey.

10 is the figure in the report

redsetanta

Kilcruise, Killeen, Ballypickas, Barrowhouse??? Can't see club members letting the club go. Playing numbers might be down for a while but be unlikely to let clubs themselves fail.
The real glory is being knocked to your knees and then coming back. That's real glory. VinceLombardi

The Monument Road

Barrow house should be ok. They provide the vast majority of Na Fianna OGs compliment of players so they always have a few. They are also close to Athy and usually pick up a few strays from that area. Kileen are in trouble unless they re start their recruitment strategy of old. Kilcruise will muster a few every year as they are getting the majority of the Arles kids coming through.

clonadmad

I see of all the Laois Clubs asked to fill in a Questionnaire and have a consultation night to tease out issues.

Only 1 Club refused to do both

Clonaslee